Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 111 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 110 111 112 121 161 211 611 1111 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Kas
    Errrrggghhh! Still doing it. I already loosened the bobbin tension. Maybe I should snug it way down?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51

In the perfect world the bobbin and the top tension will be equal to each other.

Billy
    Tell that to my expensive modern day Janome, wouldja????!!!! GRRRRR

After talking with my Aunt, it seems that the treadle base I was drooling over (and they probably thought it was all that great food)at my Dad's birthday dinner this past weekend wasn't my grandmother's but my Great Grandmother's and it is still a treadle and they want to sell it! Auntie is finding out how much they want for it for me. She did tell me that Grandma's was just a plain black Singerbut she couldn't remember Greatgrandma's. Wouldn't it be cool if they both followed me home? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    After talking with my Aunt, it seems that the treadle base I was drooling over (and they probably thought it was all that great food)at my Dad's birthday dinner this past weekend wasn't my grandmother's but my Great Grandmother's and it is still a treadle and they want to sell it! Auntie is finding out how much they want for it for me. She did tell me that Grandma's was just a plain black Singerbut she couldn't remember Greatgrandma's. Wouldn't it be cool if they both followed me home? LOL!
    In a perfect world, they would GIVE it to you!! If they come up with some bizarre amount that it's worth, we will all join in and let them know it isn't worth that much!!

I certainly hope it makes it's way to your house; no way should any family piece be sold if there's a way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045

It would be a blessing if both followed you home. How awesome to have your Great Grandmother's treadle and your Grandmother's to continue the family's love for sewing & quilting.

Blessings to you,
    Sandi

Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    look at this beauty!
    Wow! awesome!!
    Sharon

Crosssticher what did it cost you for the family of machines if you don't mind me asking? They are beauties!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Crosssticher what did it cost you for the family of machines if you don't mind me asking? They are beauties!
    I bet it was way less than what they cost new.......

I'm watching a 301 on ebay...my question...were all 301 a slant needle? How can you tell?

Blog Entries
    I don't know my DH bought them while I was at a quilt show last Friday in Blacksburg VA. Told me Happy Father's Day. I saw them the first time on Sunday. Went back on Monday and brought the rest home. NOW there in a REST Home LOL.

:P
    Did you go look at them?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat B
    I'm watching a 301 on ebay...my question...were all 301 a slant needle? How can you tell?
    Its a slant shank machine and you can tell by looking at the side of the machine and look at the shank on the foot. It will be slanted towards where you sit to sew.

Look at the foot to the far left that is a slant shank

[img]http://www.glitzkrieg.biz/images/style_presser_feet.jpg[/img]

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Cross stitcher I love it that you saved a whole family of machines! Where are you intending to put them all???

Billy, guess what, I found a UK supplier of Liquid Gold polish (pourable), so I have one on its way to me. Yeah!
    We are in the process of building a sewing studio for me and a work shop for Hubby. They will go to the work shop first then to the studio. Thing of it is all these machines work just need TLC.

Yes, these are the 6 machines I looked at. I especially fell in love with the White. I'm just glad they got a good home-all of them! :wink:

Thanks Billy, It is a slant needle.

Kas
    Here is a pic of my White Family Rotary dated 1913. Got it for $50 off Craig's List. Just love the twiggy cabinet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful machine. I am jealous!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    I don't know my DH bought them while I was at a quilt show last Friday in Blacksburg VA. Told me Happy Father's Day. I saw them the first time on Sunday. Went back on Monday and brought the rest home. NOW there in a REST Home LOL.

:P
    Did you go look at them?
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Crossstitcher: chin dropping machines. What a very kind DH you have. He must know your heart well.

Amazing!

There is so much I love about each of your machines. What a treasure you have brought home. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Here is a pic of my White Family Rotary dated 1913. Got it for $50 off Craig's List. Just love the twiggy cabinet!
    What a beautiful machine you have found. And for only $50... wow! Thank you for sharing.

One of the blessings about this cafe is getting to see everyone's machines. It expands the pleasure of saving a machine yourself. It would be tragic for all of these machines to go to various unpleasant destinations.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    look at this beauty!
    Where did you find this machine? Yours? or is it for sale? It looks identical to a model 66 treadle I saw about 2 weeks ago. It is truly a beauty!

My thanks to those of you with info on where to find GoJo and Scotts Liquid Gold. I usually don't shop the internet, because of a breach in our security recently. (We have not found the cause.) But I will be checking out the auto supply stores. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BZ quilting
    Hi all, I wanted to share another of my machines, this one came to me through my husband I think it was his grandmothers.
    Can anyone tell me what type of needles this one takes? I would really like to clean this one up and use it but if I cannot find the needles it won't do me much good.

Bev
    Bev, did you find out what size needles your machine takes? I have a Mr. Needlebar Needle Book, but the D is not listed. According to the Boye cases I have, it takes a Boye #10.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Wow! Yours is beautiful! I almost bought one off Craig's list but she was very firm at $100 and the "T" was missing. I looked later and she had re-listed it at $125. She didn't even know how to open it. Thought that because there was resistance I was forcing it when it was only the cable.

What is the difference between a "White" and a "Domestic" machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Hi all, I wanted to share another of my machines, this one came to me through my husband I think it was his grandmothers.
    Can anyone tell me what type of needles this one takes? I would really like to clean this one up and use it but if I cannot find the needles it won't do me much good.

Bev
    Bev, did you find out what size needles your machine takes? I have a Mr. Needlebar Needle Book, but the D is not listed. According to the Boye cases I have, it takes a Boye #10.
    No I haven't I know that it takes a longer needle and I don't think they make them anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what size it took so I could look on e-bay to find some.

Kas
    I love it! It sews so nicely. I got it from a lady who got it from her mom who bought it second hand years and years ago. They all sewed on it, so it wasn't very dirty except for the years of oil residue on the head. I tried cleaning it off, but the decals started to silver, so I have just left it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Bev
    No I haven't I know that it takes a longer needle and I don't think they make them anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what size it took so I could look on e-bay to find some.
    Well--the Boye 10 should be it. If you have trouble finding them, let me know, and I'll see if I can help.