Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 511 1011 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Hello!

I was wandering around the web and found this wonderful thread. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with a sewing machine addiction! :)
    I have a total of 7 machines right now - a Singer Featherweight, a Singer 301a, a Singer 319w, a Necchi in a table(that my grandmother used to make my mom's baby clothes), a Kenmore that I got for $5 at a garage sale because I liked the table, my Brother that my mom got me for Xmas 2 years ago, and a Standard treadle that I bought from my neighbor a couple days ago. The Kenmore is the only one that doesn't work. Well, I don't know about the Standard yet - she needs a belt.
    The Standard is my first treadle machine - I'm so excited! I've been scouring the web to try and find some info on her, and I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me. I've included a couple pictures (she needs some work, but I think she's beautiful) and the serial number is 847038. Does anyone know how I can figure out more about her?

Tara
    Attached Images Attached Images

She is a beauty. Much more colorful than mine. I found mine on a website and they dated it 1889 mine has a coffin lid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    She is a beauty. Much more colorful than mine. I found mine on a website and they dated it 1889 mine has a coffin lid.
    This one has the "Pearled" decals on it but other than that it is real close to yours!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Tara, I love your machine. And your cabinet looks so pretty. I hope you enjoy it very much!

She is beautiful

Blog Entries
    I have found a binder foot for my 66-1 for $40 I think this is too much .What do you think

I found a binder foot for my 66-1 for $40. Is this to much? What do you think? Glenn

Blog Entries
    I have found a binder foot for my 66-1 for $40 I think this is too much .What do you think

I found a binder foot for my 66-1 for $40. Is this to much? What do you think? Glenn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mama2josh
    Hello!

I was wandering around the web and found this wonderful thread. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with a sewing machine addiction! :)
    I have a total of 7 machines right now - a Singer Featherweight, a Singer 301a, a Singer 319w, a Necchi in a table(that my grandmother used to make my mom's baby clothes), a Kenmore that I got for $5 at a garage sale because I liked the table, my Brother that my mom got me for Xmas 2 years ago, and a Standard treadle that I bought from my neighbor a couple days ago. The Kenmore is the only one that doesn't work. Well, I don't know about the Standard yet - she needs a belt.
    The Standard is my first treadle machine - I'm so excited! I've been scouring the web to try and find some info on her, and I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me. I've included a couple pictures (she needs some work, but I think she's beautiful) and the serial number is 847038. Does anyone know how I can figure out more about her?

Tara
    you have a wonderful machine there. I would love to have one Glenn

Blog Entries
    Billy do you have a method for adjusting the bobbin tension the 66 ? Glenn

Blog Entries
    forgive me for the repeats my comp is acting ugly tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-NEW-HOME...item3353626bea

I have a New Home like this in the orginal cabinet - old in years in condition, but brand new...I don't think the belt has ever been on it and the instruction manual, warranty papers (not even filled in) and all the original attachments are with it. The cabinet is near perfect = only a few scrapes on the top where it had been used as a display...believe it or not, I got it for less than $200 and I only bought it because I had gotten a Memorycraft 7000 for Free!! - yes, FREE... and thought it would be fun to have the two extremes - antique and computerized...

Banned
    Hello!

Tara
    Sorry for the slow response I had a meeting with a client a little bit ago and was not able to finish this post.

I love your machine!!!!

It is an early model with it being the slim version. I am going to have to look up the information about the company again (my head is still spinning from all of the numbers I have been crunching this last hour or so :roll: ) but I promise to get back to you with the information.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Hey Glenn, the binder I dont know about, I have not found one separate yet but I missed the chance at a complete set of attachments for a 66-1 for $30 including a manual on eBay. But sometimes the attachments bring more in certain areas. I would hold off because the back clamp attachments are not as rare as folks make them out to be.

Now for the tension adjustment, yes you can. There are two little screws on the side of the bobbin assembly on the left hand side if you are facing the machine like your sewing. The one closest to you fastens the spring to the assembly, the one just past that towards the rear is the one that adjust the tension.

When you adjust the tension go a little at a time 1/4 rounds a pop until you get it to where you want it. But you really do not need a lot of tension on the thread. I use a gauge to test the tension on my machines but you really do not need one to set them.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Hey Glenn, the binder I dont know about, I have not found one separate yet but I missed the chance at a complete set of attachments for a 66-1 for $30 including a manual on eBay. But sometimes the attachments bring more in certain areas. I would hold off because the back clamp attachments are not as rare as folks make them out to be.

Now for the tension adjustment, yes you can. There are two little screws on the side of the bobbin assembly on the left hand side if you are facing the machine like your sewing. The one closest to you fastens the spring to the assembly, the one just past that towards the rear is the one that adjust the tension.

When you adjust the tension go a little at a time 1/4 rounds a pop until you get it to where you want it. But you really do not need a lot of tension on the thread. I use a gauge to test the tension on my machines but you really do not need one to set them.

Billy
    Thanks I am trying it now Glenn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by katmom54
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-NEW-HOME...item3353626bea

I have a New Home like this in the orginal cabinet - old in years in condition, but brand new...I don't think the belt has ever been on it and the instruction manual, warranty papers (not even filled in) and all the original attachments are with it. The cabinet is near perfect = only a few scrapes on the top where it had been used as a display...believe it or not, I got it for less than $200 and I only bought it because I had gotten a Memorycraft 7000 for Free!! - yes, FREE... and thought it would be fun to have the two extremes - antique and computerized...
    You are sitting on a gold mine!!!!

I had a chance to buy out a sewing dealer in MO but by the time the snow cleared enough for me to go get the goodies the barn had been emptied and bulldozed down. It had several machines that were still in the creates and the vast majority were treadles. Some junk company hauled it all off so the sale could go through.

I would love to say I had a brand new treadle, please post photos of it!!! I will be sure to pass out the lobster bibs before hand so we wont drool all over ourselves! :-D :-D

You got an incredible deal!!!!

Billy

trying to post pics of my machines...

warranty papers and manual...still crisp!
    Name:  Attachment-24939.jpe
Views: 393
Size:  46.9 KB

antique New Home
    Name:  Attachment-24940.jpe
Views: 418
Size:  50.4 KB

Modern New Home
    Name:  Attachment-25014.jpe
Views: 404
Size:  32.1 KB

attachments all here - still in case with flyer
    Name:  Attachment-25015.jpe
Views: 385
Size:  42.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Problem solved with the bobbin tension, Thanks Glenn

So... I just picked this machine up from a vintage store for $35 - couldn't pass it up! It came with a whole box full of attachments, the original manual for a Singer 66 and even the original "instructions for installing machine 66 and B. T. motor on cabinet 20." The power cord looks a bit frayed and it needs a new belt, but it looks like it's in pretty good shape otherwise.
    Serial number is GC 793884. I can't carry it in the house by myself, but here are the pics the store sent me, plus a pic of all the accessories.
    Do you think it really is a 66? The design looks different from pics I've found online. I know nothing about 66's - can anyone share some info on them?
    Thanks,
    Tara
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Problem solved with the bobbin tension, Thanks Glenn
    Yay Glenn!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by katmom54
    trying to post pics of my machines...
    Okay I am in love!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Billy

That New Home is stunning! I hope to have a machine that nice someday.

Billy,
    Check out what this person found in her basement. She is on the board and I told her to post here. Maybe she will.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44341-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Billy;
    Somewhere on the board are pics of my 1929 National Sewing machine Dual spool treadle. Love Josie (Josephine) but have yet to do anything with her. Too little time and too many things to do, most of them work related. Will try to find and repost the pics. How rare are these machines? Mine is intact with the spool attchment actually there.

Banned
    So... I just picked this machine up from a vintage store for $35 - couldn't pass it up! It came with a whole box full of attachments, the original manual for a Singer 66 and even the original "instructions for installing machine 66 and B. T. motor on cabinet 20." The power cord looks a bit frayed and it needs a new belt, but it looks like it's in pretty good shape otherwise.
    Serial number is GC 793884. I can't carry it in the house by myself, but here are the pics the store sent me, plus a pic of all the accessories.
    Do you think it really is a 66? The design looks different from pics I've found online. I know nothing about 66's - can anyone share some info on them?
    Thanks,
    Tara
    Tara thank you for coming in and hanging out with us!!!!

Yes you have a 66 and it sure is pretty! According to the serial it was allotted on April 8, 1924 the "C" is actually a "0" but sometime the dies would wear and would not strike correctly.

The design of the decal is called a "Filigree" pattern and I have always like the simplicity of the design. It made the machine seem more sophisticated.

And I can not believe you have a "Fagoter" in the accessories!! It is the long piece that is up towards the top of the photo. These are very sought after and expensive item to have. You use it to make rugs and soforth.

Make sure you get the wiring checked and repaired if needed and after a good cleaning and oiling you will have a VERY nice machine that you will want to use all the time!

Billy

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Billy;
    Somewhere on the board are pics of my 1929 National Sewing machine Dual spool treadle. Love Josie (Josephine) but have yet to do anything with her. Too little time and too many things to do, most of them work related. Will try to find and repost the pics. How rare are these machines? Mine is intact with the spool attchment actually there.
    They are out there, but not found as often as the Singers, New Home and W&W's. I have one of the Eldridge's two spools on my wish list, and maybe one day I will run into one. But Eldridge and National merged together and they became one of the most popular machines out there because of them badging machines for others.

But I know about the whole time thing, since I opened shop I have been very busy in here trying to keep up with everyone!! :lol: :lol:

But I am not complaining, I love it!!! :D :D :D

Billy

Page 11 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 511 1011 ... LastLast