Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 602 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 102 502 552 592 601 602 603 612 652 702 1102 1602 ... LastLast
Results 15,026 to 15,050 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    I just bought this little hand crank on E-bay. Any ideas about its age or origin?? The seller said a Brunswick, perhaps??? Didn't think I would win it, but I did.
    quiltdoctor, that is a pretty neat looking, very old machine! Congratulations on winning that machine! Show us more pictures when you get her and shine her up a bit, please!

Nancy
    I will when I get her. Just wish I knew what kind I got. lol

Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    Wow! What a chatty bunch y'all are. I've been gone for a bit help out with my son who is very sick so I haven't been around much. That didn't stop me from adding to my collection. Actually my DH has been the one finding machines for me. I have added 2 from my wish list.Singer 500 and a 301. The 500 I purchased for $75.00 and the 301 for $50.00.
    I have a love/hate relationship with that 1950's table the 500 is in. On one hand, it's SO 50's!! On the other hand--it's so 50's!! I just can't decide if I love it or not, so someone is going to have to tell me.

I just bought this little hand crank on E-bay. Any ideas about its age or origin?? The seller said a Brunswick, perhaps??? Didn't think I would win it, but I did.
    I believe it's a National model Paveway, 3/4 size machine built in the early 1900s through the '30s. Brunswick was a National badge, so that fits. It also appears to be missing it's bobbin winder. It's hard to tell if it's broken off or just been removed--you can tell more when you get it.
    I think I have a nice metal Paveway here somewhere--I will take a look and see.

For some reason, I stopped getting updates on page 990something. Woohoo1000 pages. I know for sure now I'll never get caught up. Took me forever to read the first 100.

I'm glad everyone is ok with the storms.

I've cleaned off my table and going to get my machine out. I'm still trying to think of a good name for her. She's such a classy and elegant thing, I'm drawn to call her Phyllis after my late and awesome Gramma. I just don't know yet.

I'm going to experiment with adding binding to a quilt. I just need to get some practice using her so I can get used to how she works. I'm going to try and put my vintage bobbins in a side winder. Try as I may, I just cannot get the bobbins to wind in the machine. It's one of the things we went over in the shop. The VSMG got the bobbin to wind ok, so I'm sure it's operator error. Has anyone tried a side winder?

Wish me luck!

Blog Entries
    Miriam, Four Elnas that don't work?? That's scary. I love my Elna and would feel bad if she wasn't her perfect self. My friend's Elna, a year older than mine is having problems, too. Besides, Miss Elna is my only zigzag machine.

I wish I'd known about your tables before last week. My son got sent home from Alabama. He had to come through your area and probably won't be making the trip again for another month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I believe it's a National model Paveway, 3/4 size machine built in the early 1900s through the '30s. Brunswick was a National badge, so that fits. It also appears to be missing it's bobbin winder. It's hard to tell if it's broken off or just been removed--you can tell more when you get it.
    I think I have a nice metal Paveway here somewhere--I will take a look and see.
    Thanks for the info. I'd love to see a picture of yours. I know it has the shuttle. I have other machines that I can wind the bobbins on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tammy cosper
    Here is a link on how to load the open boat shuttle for machines like the new family of singer.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tam73501?feature=mhum
    Thanks Tammy. This made it so much easier to figure out my Modle 12 Singer.

Blog Entries
    Those tables will still be there in a month I'm sure...
    I worked on those Elna's before I had internet and before I had manuals... One of them is recently acquired off CL - it was already like that... they really are a great machine - they do things the Singer doesn't do. They do hold up pretty well - I just was REALLY hard on mine. The place I was getting the motor serviced was putting in the wrong parts and charging me as much as to buy a different machine. So, I got the green ones at at yard sale and tried to get parts off one to another. Maybe now that I have a service manual I can get one going....

Miz J.... love that 50's table. lol. My husband has a tricksy, cute, 50's craft/dining table that collapses to coffee table height, or unfolds to dbl size and rises to dining table height. Same funky laminate finish. It's a 'CastroConvertables' table.

Meanwhile A QUESTION!!! whoo hoo!

I know where there's a Singer 101, very little rust if any, some bed wear, nothing serious, scroll face, funky twist off motor cover is intact... in a Deluxe Library cabinet #40. Cabinet is all scratched up, but intact. lady wants $20.

Yes? No?

Blog Entries
    Wow! What a chatty bunch y'all are. I've been gone for a bit help out with my son who is very sick so I haven't been around much. That didn't stop me from adding to my collection. Actually my DH has been the one finding machines for me. I have added 2 from my wish list.Singer 500 and a 301. The 500 I purchased for $75.00 and the 301 for $50.00.
    Beautiful machines. Congrats.

Blog Entries
    My sister was given a Necchi-Alco to use by a friend:
    Necchi-Alco
    Allyn Interrnational
    Importers Dist.

It is a Golden Stitch-n-sew with a Number of A709-5 13351 on it. Off to see what she was given. Never know what you find and where you might find it and it is one HEAVY machine. Love the hunt!

Lauren

Just was wondering if this was after 1975 and the cutoff date for vintage?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    I know where there's a Singer 101, very little rust if any, some bed wear, nothing serious, scroll face, funky twist off motor cover is intact... in a Deluxe Library cabinet #40. Cabinet is all scratched up, but intact. lady wants $20.

Yes? No?
    YES!!

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    I know where there's a Singer 101, very little rust if any, some bed wear, nothing serious, scroll face, funky twist off motor cover is intact... in a Deluxe Library cabinet #40. Cabinet is all scratched up, but intact. lady wants $20. Yes? No?
    YES!!

Billy
    Okay, Billy has spoken!!!! I'm ON IT! Oh wait, I'll have to go get it tomorrow... lol.

BTW, I'm very very glad that you and your family are 'okay'. Hope the damage can be fixed up real soon...

Blog Entries
    Alco was a distributor who bought the Necchi name rights. Your sister's loaner is Japanese made and similar to the 15 clones. Still a good machine, but the Necchi people only recognize Italian made machines. Can we say snob or is it just being a purist?

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Alco was a distributor who bought the Necchi name rights. Your sister's loaner is Japanese made and similar to the 15 clones. Still a good machine, but the Necchi people only recognize Italian made machines. Can we say snob or is it just being a purist?
    lol.... cute. I don't know which it is... but I believe it to be a lovely, good stitchin' machine.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the info. Would not have found this info where I was looking. Thanks! It does skip a stitch every now and then but I believe it has not been services in a very long time. Cobwebs everywhere. :shock:

Lauren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Just got word that McKenna is closing down her "Grandmother's" and "Necchilady" sites today due to dealing with nastiness from ill-mannered folk. If you look quick, you can see my "new" Howe A, currently residing in my LR:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...treadle_2.html
    I like your Howe A, beautiful!
    Sad to hear this. I learned lots just from visiting her site. I read all of her pages. I would look at all the cool machines and then research on additional information on those that interested me the most. Bummers :(
    Hi MizJohnny,

What amazing pictures and information are at the two websites. I wrote her a email encouraging her not to stop her websites. It would be such a waste of her time and information about these machines. I just wouldn't want this to be lost. I have an older Necchi machine and didn't even know these sites existed. I've been encouraged as I read through her pages.

Hopefully she'll reconsider.

Pam M
    Yes, I hope she will reconsider too. But if she doesn't I can understand that too.

I'm always surprised at how nasty, mean, and down right rude some folks can be. And sometimes more so on the internet and boards like this because some are hiding behind pseudo names.

But there are lots of good folks out there that are willing to share and help each other. It is just sad that the rude folks can't be big enough or polite enough to leave well enough alone or learn to say a simple thank you for the time you took out of your day to try to help.

I have enjoyed her blog/board and the wealth of information that she shared with the rest of the world. From her and this board, I have learn so much about vintage machines. I do hope she does keep her blog up since it is very well done and extremely helpful for identifying machines.

It is awful that people can be mean and nasty. I see she's already taken the site down. Darn.

I just went there and apparently she is gone from the web. It is down--no longer there. I need a question answered. In using kerosene to clean out the gunk from machines does it make a difference if you go to the gas station and get it from the pump or is it necessary to spend $10 for a gallon from the store? I'm getting ready to do some cleaning on 2 of my machines. Anne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    I bought a 301 on ebay a while back. It came with a box of cams, I just got it out to look it over good and couldnt find where to put the cams. when I got the manual out to look up the info I realized it was for a 500 series. I finally realized the error of my thinking. Now need to get the right manual downloaded. cant wait to try this machine out!
    You will love your 301!!! I got one a couple of months ago, and I just love her!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Me too! I've already tapped William's fishing fund...I really need to behave for a bit...but when one finds a Singer 201-2 Centenial for $15...well...what's a girl to do?? ;) :lol:
    Lol....she should by all means, tap into the fishing fund!!! :-D :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    I just went there and apparently she is gone from the web. It is down--no longer there. I need a question answered. In using kerosene to clean out the gunk from machines does it make a difference if you go to the gas station and get it from the pump or is it necessary to spend $10 for a gallon from the store? I'm getting ready to do some cleaning on 2 of my machines. Anne
    My BIL says to use diesel fuel - yeah, it is cheaper. About anything to dissolve all the built up old oil, grease and rust. Dust bunnies clean out with an old eyelash brush.

Blog Entries
    Hag, I LOVE your 301....it looks just like mine!! You are so lucky you got a cabinet with yours. Mine came with no case at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    miriam, Is that Elna beige or gray? I'd say beige from the pic. If it is, it was made between 1959 and 1963. The grays were made in 63 and 64. It's a very nice looking machine. If it's half the machine my 1974 SU is, then you won't be disappointed. Mine is actually more beat up looking than yours, but it's done a lot in its years.

Mornigstar, My 1952 128 has a large hole just to the right of the spool spindle. My book says it is an oil hole. I would guessed from the size that it was a grease port, but apparently not.

Yes she is beige - the lighting for her glamor picture was horrible. She is not all beat up and yes it sews very nice. She fit in an old cabinet I had in the garage. She is very light weight - probably about 10 pounds or so. I had fits with the discs until I figured out there are two kinds of single discs. I have 4 other Elna machines. None of them work. Two are green and two SU machines from 70s or so. I loved my old SU machine. I beat her to pieces and wore out the motor so many times it isn't funny. Then the zigzag gear broke. Someone gave me a Viking so she set around a while. Two green ones need timing - both are seriously out of timing and the little drive wheels are both shot.
    I have just found info how to fix - just haven't had time. One is a transformer and the other is a super. The other SU one is in great cosmetic shape but has a broken gear somewhere. She was from CL with no parts or case but I have all the parts. I'm hoping to get her to work and then sell/part out the rest of them but not until I get one working.
    Miriam, I just won an Elna Supermatic made around 1955. Hope to get it on Monday but by looking at the pictures I can't tell if the cam in the machine is a flat cam or a top hat. Would you happen to know which it is? Also where I might be able to get more cams and a manual?
    I got my little green Elna Supermatic last year. She hasn't been out of her case yet....I am embarrassed to report this!! I have to find a folding knee controller for her, and I haven't found one yet. I have lost 2 on auctions, because I won't pay $65 for one! :-) Anyway, a very kind board member traded me some fabric for cams she had and couldn't use. I was so blessed to get them...my machine came with NOTHING!!! I bought it before I spent any time researching vintage machines. I was just wooed by her cute little body!! Hahaha!!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I know you are going to love her. Mine have worn out drive wheels - they are inside the balance wheel. Sometimes when it gets warmed up they just spin and the machine won't go. There is info on line how to fix it though. Those knee controllers did not all fold - some were straight - you might look for a black smith to make one.