Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 504 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 4 404 454 494 503 504 505 514 554 604 1004 1504 ... LastLast
Results 12,576 to 12,600 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Hi All, Here's a photo of my latest aquisition.. a 99K.. she was born in 1954. She needs some TLC but she runs fine. Anne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KK
    I have a problem - I have a White 1505. I know it's not a vintage, but wonder if you could help me. I have the corner of the quilt I am putting the binding on, and my needle is stuck half way down. I can not get it to go up or down so the quilt corner is stuck under the needle. How do I get the needle to move so I can get the quilt out??
    I have loosened the needle, the foot, taken the bobbin out. But still have the problem. Do I have to cut off the corner of the quilt to get it out????? Thanks for any info you can give me. KK
    It also squeals when I sew - is there a belt inside that needs to be replaced??
    Loosen the needle and use pliers to work the needle up and down. If that doesn't work break the needle with the pliers and then after you get the fabric out of the machine, take the needle pieces out. Be careful if you do it so a piece of needle doesn't go flying. There could also be a thread jam under the needle plate, if you can see it, cut the threads off first before working the needle up and down.

Can someone tell me what kind of machine these go to? Found them in a batch of Singer attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your machine is very pretty. My mom has the twin, just bought it back from a lady she had sold it to years ago. I have been helping her clean it up some, and it sews a fine stitch for sure. Enjoy yours!!

Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Hi All, Here's a photo of my latest aquisition.. a 99K.. she was born in 1954. She needs some TLC but she runs fine. Anne

Blog Entries
    Surprise! The machine we picked by the dumpster is a 15-88 in a #22 cabinet, born in 1933. Upon further investigation, it is in much better shape than we first thought. Decals are 90%, one leg has been stripped and will not screw on. The #22 is stamped on the inside of the cabinet. When we dared to fire it up, she sewed right away. Will post pics when her beauty bath is complete. Right now she is kinda naked.

Yesterday I finally took out my Singer 28, determined to get her up and running. I'm really happy how she turned out. I still need to find out how to thread it but the hand crank works s-o-o-o smoothly. It really helped to be able to read through Billy's thread on fixing up the vintage machines while I was doing this.

Here are some before and after pics:

Singer 28--BEFORE
    Name:  Attachment-172659.jpe
Views: 108
Size:  54.9 KB

Singer model 28--AFTER
    Name:  Attachment-172660.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  54.3 KB

Faceplate--BEFORE
    Name:  Attachment-172661.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  49.1 KB

Faceplate--AFTER
    Name:  Attachment-172662.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  72.2 KB

Handcrank--BEFORE
    Name:  Attachment-172663.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  39.4 KB

Handcrank--AFTER
    Name:  Attachment-172664.jpe
Views: 92
Size:  78.2 KB

Anne, that is a lovely machine.

Surprise! The machine we picked by the dumpster is a 15-88 in a #22 cabinet, born in 1933. Upon further investigation, it is in much better shape than we first thought. Decals are 90%, one leg has been stripped and will not screw on. The #22 is stamped on the inside of the cabinet. When we dared to fire it up, she sewed right away. Will post pics when her beauty bath is complete. Right now she is kinda naked.

Congrats

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Miz Johnny, you already have 2 or 3 Jones machines? Geeze, I want to be your relative! Are the other Jones machines as pretty as the one we are watching?

Nancy
    No--I have the ugliest green one you've ever seen![/quote]

I have never seen a ugly "Jones." All the ones I have seen are very ornate! Is your green Jones an original?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

That's one style. I also have one with wooden rather than metal legs. I found the base with metal legs too small to sit at comfortably.
    So Miz Johnny, the treadle you found with the wooden legs - is it a pre 1900 treadle? I have never seen a treadle with wooden legs - straight or any other way!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Yesterday I finally took out my Singer 28, determined to get her up and running. I'm really happy how she turned out. I still need to find out how to thread it but the hand crank works s-o-o-o smoothly. It really helped to be able to read through Billy's thread on fixing up the vintage machines while I was doing this.

You did an excellent job. Very pretty. Kathie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    grandmother23,
    Here's a picture of my Singer 201K in the Singer straight leg cabinet, from the 1930s.
    Sharon W. in Texas
    Sharon, do you like that straight leg cabinet? That is the same cabinet my 15-88 from the 30's is in -- and I love treadling on that cabinet!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Anne, very pretty 99K!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    Check your new thread.

Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I need help with the underpinning on a featherweight table. I posted here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-109197-1.htm - please take a look. TIA
    Glenn or Billy could probably answer this question!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Geeze, I can't believe what some people do!~ I love my 15-88! That machine is a great teadle - even has a reverse, and the feed dogs drop for FM! I am so glad you picked it up!

Nancy

I went and bought the treadle from the guy today. He is 79 yes old. He said the machine belonged to his wife's mother. It say Minnesota A. I have a serial number but don't know where to look it up. Sold by Sears made by Domestic about 1914 I think.

It's gorgeous! Don't you just love getting that chrome to SHINE?

Wow, the machine head looks MINT. Lucky you!

Blog Entries

Cabbagepatchkid, you did a great job cleaning up that machine! Did you use Billy's spa treatment or did you try something else? Please tell us -- it looks like you did not hurt the decals at all!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    I went and bought the treadle from the guy today. He is 79 yes old. He said the machine belonged to his wife's mother. It say Minnesota A. I have a serial number but don't know where to look it up. Sold by Sears made by Domestic about 1914 I think.
    Go to the White dating site http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

The Minnesota A & H are listed there under the badged White machines. You can probably date your Minnesota from the tables at this site.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I have a 27 with out a cabinet. My cousin has an old New Home treadle without a machine. I do not know the measurments of the opening. Does anyone know if my 27 would fit in the cabinet? Kathie
    Kathie if your cousin has a treadle with no machine and you need a treadle for your 27, why not try? You will probably have to modify the cabinet to fit -- I doubt that the Singer will fit in the New Home cabinet without some modification, but I have never tried that?

Miz Johnny would probably know!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Well, I spent all day working on a Featherweight!

I bought my second white FW from Kathie last night. It sewed ok for our Girls Night Out, but I was not happy with the stitch so I took it apart today. It took me most of the day on and off searching for whatever was making her stitch off! I finally found it! A piece of hair was tangled around the hook race thingy, which was causing that little machine to make a crappy stitch! And it kind of clanked when I sewed with it last night! Not now -- she is purring like a kitten with the most perfect stitch and I am naming her 'Cat' after Kathie! Geeze, I thought I'd be cross eyed by the time I got that hair out -- couldn't see it without a flashlight and lots of concentration! Then I had a terrible time getting it out without breaking it up in there!

Thank you Kathie for another beautiful machine!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

It's gorgeous! Don't you just love getting that chrome to SHINE?
    I love the transformation especially the handwheel. I would love to know how you were able to make the chrome look so nice. Does anyone know if you can over clean the chrome? I am always a little hesitant to clean/polish to much after silvering decals by being a little to aggressive with the spit shine.

Judy

A piece of hair was tangled around the hook race thingy, which was causing that little machine to make a crappy stitch! -- she is purring like a kitten with the most perfect stitch and I am naming her 'Cat' after Kathie! Geeze, I thought I'd be cross eyed.

Nancy if the hair was white it was Marshmellow and he is crossed eye, so you can blame him for the crossed eyes. If the hair was black it was Patches and if it was brown it was the dog Missy. Sorry about that. I am glad that you got it out. These cats are into everything. I did keep the machine in the box, but hair does fly. Kathie

I have an opportunity to buy a vintage Kenmore exactly like this one:
    http://www.ecrater.com/p/8732598/sea...achine-vintage
    only in a nice cabinet...

It looks like an exact clone of a Singer 15. This is the only Kenmore I have seen that looks like this. Does anyone know anything about this model machine? I couldn't find numbers on the machine, at all.