Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 454 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 354 404 444 453 454 455 464 504 554 954 1454 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,350 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    I got my 301a long bed black machine in a case tonight. The case is very very musty (banned from inside the house temporarily) but in great shape otherwise. No manual or acc., but I do have some extra acc. that can be dug up. Now to find an original manual. Will post pics tomorrow.
    Here is Erma! The case is out sunning and Erma has had her beauty treatment and moisturizing bath. Anyone have an original manual?
    I couldn't find an original so I purchased one from Manuals.com. You may even be able to find a free download somewhere though if you research it. Congrats on Erma, you will love her...

Once again, that black 301 is very pretty. If you only want to refer to the manual, you can go to http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html and download it. Are you just wanting a hard copy original to complete the set? I totally understand that. Nice machine, for sure. I have the tan in an original cabinet, and it is a fine machine. It had a manual but the cover is gone, but it is ok.
    I got my 301a long bed black machine in a case tonight. The case is very very musty (banned from inside the house temporarily) but in great shape otherwise. No manual or acc., but I do have some extra acc. that can be dug up. Now to find an original manual. Will post pics tomorrow.
    Here is Erma! The case is out sunning and Erma has had her beauty treatment and moisturizing bath. Anyone have an original manual?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Tomilu, if you only want a printed from the 'net manual, I found one online. Let me know and I'll find the site. It was a common one.

Your black is prettier than my tan, but AnnieRose sews very nicely so she's a keeper.
    Would that site possibly have one for my 15-91?
    Never mind...found a free download here: http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html

Blog Entries
    I hope you have many wonderful quilting years with Erma! I have two of her siblings. Enjoy her!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I had no problem getting into Needlebar just now (had to try it after reading here that people were not getting through). I was asked to login with my login name and password, but it went straight through.

Could it be that people here have forgotten what they logged in with originally?
    Lacelady, that is the whole point. It use to be that anyone could go to a Needlebar site to see something without having a password. I have never been a member, but I could go to Needlebar and view any information I wanted -- I have lots of things in Needlebar marked in my favorites so I could go directly to that information, all of a sudden I need to be a registered member. It appears that Needlebar has closed to open viewing -- you have to be a member to get in.
    Nancy
    I'm NOT a member of NB, but I was able to get to the photo section of the machines. I was researching Majestic sewing machines and using google images to find a match. In my searching, I found my way onto NB site on the photos of National machines, the Vindex.

This was very helpful since I was able to learn about the Vindex and the machine I was researching. I discovered that the Majestic is a badge machine. If the site had been closed, like it is now, I would not have learned this bit of information.
    Ah, I understand the problem now, and I have no idea why it is the way it seems to be - but I didn't have a problem joining either, I was just asked to say a short piece about why I wanted to join.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Tomilu, if you only want a printed from the 'net manual, I found one online. Let me know and I'll find the site. It was a common one.

Your black is prettier than my tan, but AnnieRose sews very nicely so she's a keeper.
    I have downloaded a manual from ISMACS, but just thought I might get an original to go with the machine.

Quiltncowgirl,

Congratulations. . . can't wait to see her!

Tommi,
    She looks brand spankin' new. Congratulations!

Yes, Nancy is great! She's always so quick on the ball to get an answer with additional educational info.

There's a whole big wonderful group here with lots of knowledge who were taught that sharing is good!!

Thanx to all of you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Tommi,
    She looks brand spankin' new. Congratulations!
    What you can't see is a 2" long deep scratch near the foot feed that is clear through the paint on one end. But then she is not all that much younger than I am and in better shape, lol.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for all your comments on Erma. The case sunned all day and hopefully tomorrow. I think I'll take her on my spring quilt retreat in NM.

My neightbor's daughter has a teacher that took what look to be a beautiful treadel sewing machine and gutted it to make a saw for cutting glass in class. I have asked her what he intends to do with the parts and if he does not want them I told her I would take them.
    She did not know what brand of machine but her picture looks like it says Catonia. Kathie

I am so excited, I picked up my new treadle today and it appears to be in really good shape. I need to get a belt for it, and find out how to oil it. The cabinet is in great shape in spite of having been painted.

The manual is crumbling, but says it was made in 1904 and is model # 939115, the machine says Standart. Does anyone know who made this machine, what type of needles and bobbins it uses, and any other info.?

Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
    Thanks in advance for any info. you can give me about my exciting new treasure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am so excited, I picked up my new treadle today and it appears to be in really good shape. I need to get a belt for it, and find out how to oil it. The cabinet is in great shape in spite of having been painted.

The manual is crumbling, but says it was made in 1904 and is model # 939115, the machine says Standart. Does anyone know who made this machine, what type of needles and bobbins it uses, and any other info.?

Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaKnits

That is a beautiful machine. The decals look great. Enjoy her. Kathie

Blog Entries

!
    Congrats on your treadle. There is some good wood under all that black paint, lol. Just take it one step at a time and you will get lots of help and atta girls here. I don't think I've ever seen a Standart; I thought you had misspelled Standard, lol.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have some of the Touch and Swears (Sews)? Specifically the 600, 603, 628 or 728? I have some stuff for those models I need to find a new home for. I'm not listing for sale. You can PM me.

I have a Davis Model D that looks similar to your Standart. It has the same stitch regulator and the bobbin winder is in the same place. It also has the two thread pins on top; one in the center and the other to the right. What I have read is that mine was made in 1918. Your machine is very pretty. The decals on mine are practically gone.

Blog Entries
    Hi all,
    Well in addition to my fabulous 319 from the estate sale last weekend, I got my FW in the mail yesterday. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but is not sewing, yet:) I need to oil it and make sure the bobbin case finger is in the right place, as well as clean it. It seems there is a lot of gunky ,orangish buildup in the bobbin case area, and essentially all over.I believe it's old oil. What should I use to clean the gunky stuff off. I don't really want to do the entire dismantle , if I don't have to.. What gets this old oil/greasy mess off without damaging the machine or finish?
    Thanks much,
    Jane

Blog Entries
    [quote=melinda1962]I have a Davis Model D that looks similar to your Standart. It has the same stitch regulator and the bobbin winder is in the same place. It also has the two thread pins on top; one in the center and the other to the right. What I have read is that mine was made in 1918. Your machine is very pretty. The decals on mine are practically gone

If it a Davis type, it will be easier to find parts I should think. Good luck with her; she is neat!

I find a listing on CL, next town over, for a 15-90 and an elec. 201, $50 for both or $30 each. I'm emailing her for both while doing the dance of joy only to find out that the 201 is spoken for already = I bring the 15 home with cabinet and chair, and realize she's exactly one month younger than DH, so I say "You should name her"... Miss Shilah (??) was born 12/20/1946. She was pretty clean but when I spread the GoJo, a yellow brown came up. I guess she hung out with a smoking crowd. She needs to be rewired which DH can do and she's missing a bobbin thingy, bobbins and a needle. I someone can help me with purchasing these things, I'd appreciate it. I wanted to post this on the vintage section, but there's no file attachment for the pictures.
    The pictures are in the picture section. I couldn't get them to paste here

(Edit Description) (Delete)

(Edit Description) (Delete)

Annie

Your "new" treadle machine is a beauty!! Now that you have your first vintage machine I think it's only fair to tell you that you will soon have many more. You won't be able to help yourself once you have caught the virus.

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
    She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.

JaKnits,

She is very pretty. . . I will eagerly watch with you for info from others on your new addition. Congratulations!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Brenda
    Brenda, you are quite welcome. Everyone on this site tries their best to help each of us. I don't know what I would have done without this site when I started my vintage addiction. With the help of all of you and this great shop, it has been a really fun journey for all of us vintage machine addicts!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    What the best thing to put on my wood pitman. We have wood heat and I wondered about the wood drying out. What do you all use on yours?