Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1454 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 454 954 1354 1404 1444 1453 1454 1455 1464 1504 1554 ... LastLast
Results 36,326 to 36,350 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the desire of certain vintage machines is similar.

Some would die for one of those big ugly beasts, the 31. While others would argue that the machine to own is the cute FWs. Some only look at Singers, while others covet the Lady Kenmores or the Necchi. When it comes down to what is best, it really is what makes one happy. And in the end, we are just the steward of what is now mechanic art.
    yes the unseen beauty........

would any of you buy this machine ? better yet would you buy it sight unseen ? topped off with the reason you were there was buying 1922 machine from his renter that didn't look much better for $100

which went from my pocket to her hand as soon as my car door opened..

I ask because of reading so much of " it ain't worth it and this I wouldn't buy any machine with rust on it ". get real real you have rust and scars. most of us are only half there age..

when we dug it out all the veneer and wood scroll work was laying on the floor ,, so I did get all those pieces
    ,, I did pay for this, yet to me it was free or you might say the icing of the cake for that day ...

If I were to do a public display of all my treadles, I would leave this one as is, to show what they were and what thay can be

It will get refinished, I know it will take 7 days a week and no less than two weeks to reglue the entire cabinet..

my main cleaning agent will be a grease, that you can't not buy. with a little help from dewalt and Dow chemcail.

I deal with antigue/vintage cars,, the term barn find equals = gold, this is a true barn find... i wish I would have taken a camera, to show where it sat for the known 30 yrs he told me of.. I'm sure the tractor sitting there had not moved in the last 50 , there was two of those,,,

O this is a 6 drawer. with the solid ends covered with the wooden scroll work

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 06-30-2012 at 12:41 PM.

this singer I posted is totaly coming apart , all the ply has come unglued and has mold between the layers,, it will have to be, soaked it water to unglue what is still sticking clean then reglued.. The broken veneer will be put back in place,, I do not place any veneer on these machines...

This is the condition of teh machine we used to get free back in the late 60's , most were just left behind as people moved from the farm to the city's..

Blog Entries
    John, considering that an appraiser will tell you that a pristine sewing machine in a good condition "standard" cabinet is worth $150 - $200....I'd have given MAYBE $15 for that one. (If I'd have bothered with it at all)
    Rust and dings may be a way of life, Lord knows I have my share, but I also know I'm not worth as much as I used to be!
    Too many of us don't have the time or space to store/repair/refinish these old machines. I have a two bedroom apartment, and the refinishing I do gets done on my dining room table.

We've seen some beauties come from under the rust and grime, not all of us want to deal with that...and it certainly devalues the machine, as they're never as pretty as those that have been cared for.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    SKIP!!! Welcome home!! Glad you had a good time...good thing we sent fish with you so it didn't matter quite so much that they weren't biting!! ~wink and a grin~

Looking forward to seeing a tutorial of how you clean up the new machine!

As for behaving...I know *I* did...not so sure about Miriam tho...you know how she gets!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

I had read the various discussions about the lovely Lavender Lady Kenmore 89, and began a search for one a little while back. I am always on the lookout for any machine, and sometimes special ones; i.e. I saw the post on the yellow brother at girls' night in, and immediately started searching. Miriam found it for me, and it is great. I saw an ad for a Kenmore sewing machine for $50, and lo and behold, it was the Lavender one, and came down to $40. I consulted a couple of board enablers, I mean members, who told me what to check for, and I had to buy it. Pretty little lady that sews like a charm. It had a lot of extra feet but it did not have a manual, so if anyone has a link to a free one, please share. I can see the fascination now. Name:  5N25Id5H73Eb3G23H3c5fdb3f523278f41890.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  13.5 KB
    Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I am at the hospital with DH now. Has been here a month. Chemo is finished and we are waiting for his immune system to start working again. He will be here another couple of weeks at least. I drive 80 miles round trip daily to be with him. I'm doing ok but sewing and machine restoration are on hold. I read every day to keep up. Thanks for checking on me.
    Texas Jan
    Glad to hear you are hanging in there ok. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Glenn, welcome back! Isn't air conditioning wonderful?? We've been up in the 100s for a couple of weeks now. I'm looking forward to your tutorial and the pics of the 1830s quilt.

Melinda, neat find! I've had to look those up since seeing them mentioned on the board. I don't think I'd pass that one up for $40 either.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Notsureif,
    I have a cabinet just like that but is in really good condition. It holds a Singer H-15 or 15 and I think it was made in 1907. I had the date written down but no idea where it is at this point. It had "Gingerbread" decals and they are in pretty good shape also. I only paid $40 for the cabinet and machine. I am going to use the cabinet for my Singer 503A. I thought I'd actually use the 15 and learn to treadle. Life gets in the way! So I am just going to sew using my 503A and hopefully can find a home for the 15.
    Jan on 446
    Last edited by jan on 446; 06-30-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    >^::^<

Glenn, Welcome back.

Texas Jan and husband, Hang tough.

The Lady Kenmore surprised me, because I thought, I don't need another sewing machine, but it is solid as a rock, and freely turned by hand, the camstack was good (the top cover just pops off, so easy to check), and it just spoke to me. I had to clean it up and check it out, and the more I play the more I like. The biggest problem was the lint in the feed dog area, but I scooped it out, and oiled it up, and it was pretty neat. Lot of knobs that I am trying to work out, but so far, so good. After I bought this one, I got an email back from another sewing machine that I wanted that was for less money, but I will have to check back on it. My husband is very patient and a worse enabler than yall, if you can believe that, because he said maybe that other one will still be there. That would be awesome too, because it is a 201 in a cabinet, that I think I have to have.
    Melinda

Hi Glenn, Welcome back. I am looking forward to your tutorial on how you clean a machine from start to finish! I just started working on my new Necchi Supernova.
    Anamaria

Blog Entries
    Melinda congratulations on the lady kenmore! I think, if your DH is ok with it - I'd get the 201 too!

Texas Jan - I am relieved to hear everything is still going as well as expected! I hope your DH and you get to go home together soon! A group hug!

Glenn nice to know you made it back in good health! I am excited for you to get the tute going with the Franklin! I am going to follow you with one of my 31's! Oh, and I want to see this quilt from the 1830's! Where did you get it?

John you are a nut for sure - but, I have bought machines in as bad shape as that Redeye and re-done them! Good luck - my DH just replaces the veneer! I can't imagine trying to glue it all back on! Please post photos as you go!

Candace congratulations on the Coronado - but isn't that machine in a cabinet? It looks like an interesting machine!
    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 06-30-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ok this is what we found today at our local flea market auction - Dinio's! The lady had 4 machine - 3 were Vikings, and actually she had a plastic battery operated toy Singer too. I passed everything up for this! I saw the case and I KNEW what was in there!

She was asking $75 and DH talked her down to $50! I got the machine, case, a buttonholer, zig zagger, and the little green machine cover all for $50 - a long bed to boot! Was I doing a happy dance! I almost hugged the little lady!Name:  Mocha long bed 301a.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  1.32 MB

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 06-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Wow, what luck Nancy!! Good for you. Did she have any vintage Vikings? I love the one I refurbished last month. I've used it quite a bit.

Yes the Coronado is in a cabinet. Oddly, the cabinet is in great condition. They never are when they come home with me! So, that's a surprise. I'm not certain what I'll do with it. I may just buy a few parts, see how it stitches and go from there. I bought it for a parts machine price, so I figured I could put it in the garage until I get it working. It's internal cams are all metal, which is great.

Melinda, I hate you!!! In a good way. I've been searching for one near me for a loooooong time with no luck. I really don't want to mess with shipping as I've not had good luck with that in the past.

Nancy, What a good deal you got on your machine!!! I want one!!! I showed a picture of a 301 to my hubby today and told him to be on the look out for one. I'm hoping we can find one at a good price, and in as good a condition as yours is. Long bed or short, what is the ideas of which is best?

Janis, I own 5 301's and I don't see any benefit of the added couple of inches, truth be told. They cost more usually and I do own one, but tend to use the short beds more as they fit in my vintage Singer card table. If you can get a short bed for a decent price, don't hesitate to buy it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Janis, I own 5 301's and I don't see any benefit of the added couple of inches, truth be told. They cost more usually and I do own one, but tend to use the short beds more as they fit in my vintage Singer card table. If you can get a short bed for a decent price, don't hesitate to buy it.
    Yep, I agree with Candace - no difference whether it is a short or long bed, except the long bed won't go into the Singer card table! I just wanted a long bed because I already have a short bed! I like the added table length because I am so use to using the acrylic tables with my machines to add bed length and width! I love the 301's, they sew great, are really easy to use, use the same bobbins as my FW's, and the machine itself only weighs 16lbs unlike all the other vintage Singers that weigh a ton!

Nancy

Blog Entries

MS camping and fishing trip

My fishy quilt in the camper(a little fuzzy), did not use it much on this trip it was 105 in MS, 1830 quilt made by a slave unfortunatley I could not afford it. Goodies bought in the antique shops around town a celluloid tatting shuttle, pin cushion some old patterns for Pat's civil war dresses, a basket of vintage thread(to make spool pin covers), a wood burned music holder made in 1890, a small flag quilt hanging made after the civil war and the Franklin with original Franklin labled motor( Of course will end up as a treadle). This is the machine I will do the tut on. I don't think I spent over 25 dollars for all. We had such fun and Pat found several items also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Glenn; 06-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

There is a card table for longbed 301's. I happen to have the card table for shortbed 301's, 401 and 500 machines.

Blog Entries
    I would like to know where you want me to put the tutoiral on the cleaning of this Franklin. Do you want it here in the VSMS or its own thread or even under the fishy quilt. Let me know in a day or so. Thank you

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Nancy, Congrats on the mocha longbed 301. That was a great score at a flea market. I now have purchased my 2nd 301, also a long bed mocha, from a gal on the board who is moving and downsizing. It has some tension issues (don't we all )but she let me have it for the price she bought it plus shippping to my door. I am thrilled and younger DD is also thrilled. She wants to make her own quilt with some help from me plus my fabric thread & batting but she wants to quilt and likes my 301 better than her Singer 362. Gotta agree with her about the 301 being better than the 362.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Melinda, You might find your Kenmore manual from one of the Yahoo Kenmore group sites.

Blog Entries
    I stand corrected on the flag quilt hanging. I counted 50 stars Oh well but it only cost $2.00 so I don't feel to cheated LOL. Well I guess you can still say it was made after the civil war.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Skip, Neat pics!!

I think you should put the tutorial in it's own thread, and we'll link it in the sticky for cleaning machines so that it can be found....and if you don't mind, I'll put it on my blog too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Skip, Neat pics!!

I think you should put the tutorial in it's own thread, and we'll link it in the sticky for cleaning machines so that it can be found....and if you don't mind, I'll put it on my blog too!
    Sounds good to me I think I will do just that. Pat said I had to wash and clean the camper before I start on this machine. She likes it ready to go for the next trip(we have about three more trips for the summer) I had better get busy huh!!!! I am on the look out for a bobbin slide plate for it if I can't find one I will make one out of plexi glass. I am hoping this will give everyone a better idea about the cleaning and clear coat restoration and even repairing chips in the japan finish. Charlee you may use any of my techniques in your blog don't mind at all.

Skipper
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    There are 2 301s for $50 each on ebay ending within 24 hours. One has a buttonholer and attachments.