Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1354 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 354 854 1254 1304 1344 1353 1354 1355 1364 1404 1454 ... LastLast
Results 33,826 to 33,850 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #33826
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,412
    Blog Entries
    2
    Someone said treadle that pink and gray machine... I betcha a bunch of the machines with bad wires would all treadle if they had treadles...

    The Vindex Special got upstaged by the 128 HC for the Fiddler on the Roof play so the stage hands could change scenes faster - she is sitting in a corner commiserating with that little black machine because the treadle table fell apart - nothing worse than a broken home.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  2. #33827
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Someone said treadle that pink and gray machine... I betcha a bunch of the machines with bad wires would all treadle if they had treadles...
    Miriam, That was I. I agree that if a person had a universal treadle then lots of machines with bad wiring could be used in treadle.
    I have seen Cathy's Brother that looks similar to that pink one you picked up. I love the look of those machines, pink with the smokey gray, such a handsome color combination.

  3. #33828
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Kathie, didn't Loretta tell you where I was or Helga? I was on a horse all day - 8 till 4:00 - and just too exhausted to come! Sorry. By the time I got home, put my horse away, and cleaned the grit off of me - it was just too late! Loretta and I are going to Runs With Scissors tomorrow - want to come?

    Nancy
    Helga was not there and Loretta did not say a thing. I tried to get in at Runs and it was full. What were you doing on a horse all day besides riding? Was it a competition? Kathie

  4. #33829
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    He said he could get more for it… it looked in good shape but I want a DVF. I guess I’ll just wait.
    Then let him keep it. Unless it's in mint condition, I wouldn't pay that much. But, that's me. Another will come around again for less, I will bet you;>

  5. #33830
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I wonder if you can get one in working order for $100 - $150?
    I paid $50 for my DVF, tho I had to work on it a bit....refinish the cabinet and clean the machine....but I didn't have to do anything for it to sew....
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  6. #33831
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Poor Frankenstein 301. Why would someone pay top dollar for it...yuck. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-301A-...#ht_500wt_1221


    And another... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-301A-...ht_2215wt_1389


    Poor, poor things!!!

  7. #33832
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I have e-mailed this person saying that I am interested. We shall see if he responds. I am not familiar with the
    worth of this machine. Yes I know what ever I am willing to pay. Is that a good price? Kathie

  8. #33833
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Kathie, *IF* the spool can is there, I'd pay that much for it...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  9. #33834
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Kathie, *IF* the spool can is there, I'd pay that much for it...
    I have written and asked him. I am just waiting for a reply. Is the needle plate easy to find? Kathie

  10. #33835
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Kathie,

    I don't think they are easy to find. I have a standing order from a gal in Oregon if I ever run across one.

    Cathy


    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    I have written and asked him. I am just waiting for a reply. Is the needle plate easy to find? Kathie
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  11. #33836
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Easy enough to make out of plexiglass/plastic. I have a hand crank VS with clear slide plates, and I find it very amusing to watch the shuttle. Then, I am easily amused. Black plastic blends in better. Both can be had from TAP plastic, and the edges beveled in with sand paper. Laura
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Kathie,

    I don't think they are easy to find. I have a standing order from a gal in Oregon if I ever run across one.

    Cathy

  12. #33837
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Kathie,

    I don't think they are easy to find. I have a standing order from a gal in Oregon if I ever run across one.

    Cathy
    Cathy, that does not sound to encouranging. I hope that I spelled that right. I have not heard back from the person yet. Hubby says that to far to go anyway. If it does have that bobbin can hopefully he will agree to meet us half
    way. Kathie

  13. #33838
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Easy enough to make out of plexiglass/plastic. I have a hand crank VS with clear slide plates, and I find it very amusing to watch the shuttle. Then, I am easily amused. Black plastic blends in better. Both can be had from TAP plastic, and the edges beveled in with sand paper. Laura
    Laura that sounds like a good idea. I am afraid tho that I would watch the shuttle instead of watching the needle.
    If I get the machine I will keep that in mind. Thank you. Kathie

  14. #33839
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,412
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Poor Frankenstein 301. Why would someone pay top dollar for it...yuck. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-301A-...#ht_500wt_1221


    And another... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-301A-...ht_2215wt_1389


    Poor, poor things!!!
    I rather like that first one...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  15. #33840
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    I have e-mailed this person saying that I am interested. We shall see if he responds. I am not familiar with the
    worth of this machine. Yes I know what ever I am willing to pay. Is that a good price? Kathie
    Kathie that is a very reasonable price for a Two Spools and that is the exact same cabinet my Eldredge Two Spools sits in! But, unless you just want to get away for a road trip, you are going to spend quite a lot driving to Redding in gas! It would be a nice trip, though, and a really nice machine!

    Nancy

  16. #33841
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Poor Frankenstein 301. Why would someone pay top dollar for it...yuck. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-301A-...#ht_500wt_1221


    And another... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-301A-...ht_2215wt_1389


    Poor, poor things!!!
    Candace I agree with Miriam, I like the first one! I didn't think they made a two-tone 301, but it doesn't look painted? The second one had the bed added or did it? Looking at the machine, it also looks two-toned?

    Nancy

  17. #33842
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    Helga was not there and Loretta did not say a thing. I tried to get in at Runs and it was full. What were you doing on a horse all day besides riding? Was it a competition? Kathie
    It was a clinic with obstacles and desensitizing for my horse that likes to buck me off! So hot and dusty my lungs are full of crap! We did Runs yesterday and yes it was full, but I was miserable - can't breathe. I guess, I am done with clinics until they either water down the arenas or it cools off again!

    Loretta and I are going back to Runs on May the 17th! We are doing their Mystery Block of the Month once a month, but we always sign up for the next month's day at the last months, because they fill up so fast!

    Nancy

  18. #33843
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Nancy, yes they make a two-tone but not in that color!! It's two machines cobbled together. Sorry, as someone who knows and loves 301's, these machines are just WRONG.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Candace I agree with Miriam, I like the first one! I didn't think they made a two-tone 301, but it doesn't look painted? The second one had the bed added or did it? Looking at the machine, it also looks two-toned?

    Nancy

  19. #33844
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Easy enough to make out of plexiglass/plastic. I have a hand crank VS with clear slide plates, and I find it very amusing to watch the shuttle. Then, I am easily amused.
    Hi Laura,

    I've even made temporary slide plates from the plastic boxes that bakery goods come in at the grocery store. Works fine, and you can trim it with scissors. I like watching the shuttle too!

    pat

  20. #33845
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    Laura that sounds like a good idea. I am afraid tho that I would watch the shuttle instead of watching the needle.
    If I get the machine I will keep that in mind. Thank you. Kathie
    Kathie, If a plate is needed and if you made one for this machine (Two Spools), you would not be watching a shuttle go back and forth. For the Two Spools, a second spool sits in a canister where a bobbin case would sit. Not much to look at since the thread is pulled off of the spool while it sits in the "spool can".

    That is an excellent inexpensive and quick solution for machines missing their plates.

  21. #33846
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    The only thing that bothers me about the two tone 301 is - where is the other machin?. I'd hate to see one sacrificed just so someone could play around with colors. That is definitely the Mocha tan, not a repaint. Unless just the black parts were painted? I'm semi looking for a black one, but is that black enough?

  22. #33847
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    The only thing that bothers me about the two tone 301 is - where is the other machin?. I'd hate to see one sacrificed just so someone could play around with colors. That is definitely the Mocha tan, not a repaint. Unless just the black parts were painted? I'm semi looking for a black one, but is that black enough?
    Actually, it looks like a repaint to me, a two tone 301 doesn't look like that! There are no beds that are yellow/cream color. And they've painted PART of the bed. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

    This is what it should look like:
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...07n8b&fr=aaplw

    Not http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-301A-...ht_2215wt_1389

  23. #33848
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Scottishmist,
    Thanks for posting pictures of your collection in the photo area. One of my favorite machines is my Singer 201 since the 201s are very quiet and produce beautiful stitches. Since my machine came with a motor that is meant for your side of the pond, I gave machine a motorectomy and now treadle it.

    Welcome to the QB!

  24. #33849
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    burping messages, sorry.

  25. #33850
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    OOOOOOO!!! Why or WHY did you show that to me???? UGHHHH!! So near but so far away!!! :-(

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.