Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1304 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 304 804 1204 1254 1294 1303 1304 1305 1314 1354 1404 ... LastLast
Results 32,576 to 32,600 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #32576
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    So, after cleaning the race and case on my Singer 201, I started to think if I should have done something similar on my Singer 66-1s. I spent a hour looking for the needed info, and discovered that the machine would benefit on cleaning and replacing the oil wick. This is something that needs to be done on 66s and 99s...unless they are just setting on shelf looking pretty- like mine are now. This may have been talked about before on this thread, but I can't remember it. So, heads up for those that are using their Singer 66 or 99 and have not checked the felt on the oil wick; it may need to be added or replaced.
    Thanks, Monica....I have both machines and I have not checked the wick. That's at the bobbin case, yes?

  2. #32577
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

    Pat,


    I think it’s called a model “No. 1”. Here’s a look at the front of mine...


    CD in Oklahoma
    Ok ThayerRags, this is getting really interesting - WHAT DON'T YOU HAVE? I want to see the whole collection!

    Nancy

  3. #32578
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    The case, accessories, etc out weigh the machine by a lot - it seems funny that they would put such a light weight machine in such a heavy case. If the case wasn't so nice I would be tempted to figure something else out to make it tote easier.
    That is the same with my FW, and so I found an old portable file box with extending handle and wheels that I put it in. Works great.

  4. #32579
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Have a question. I bought one of those cabinets with the inkwells in the drawer. Some idjit turned it into a writing desk but thankfully left the hinges and set screws possibly. I have a 201 in need of a cabinet. My question is were those cabinets designed with something underneath the machine like a curved piece of board or something? I have no idea and there isn't anything like that left in this cabinet. Am just curious and thanks in advance.
    I have one of those lovely cabinets. I'll look underneath and let you know, but it'll be tonite.

  5. #32580
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I think this is why the FW was much more popular than the 77MG. Yes, the case and attachments add to the total weight, but at least with the FW, it's not locked into a heavy wooden base. The 77MG is about a pound heavier to begin with, and then you add in the wooden base...and the cuteness factor of the FW...it's easy to see why women went with the FW over the 77. I have to say, the 77 does a very nice stitch and I'm going to play more with it as far as FMQ goes. But, since I have the "heavy" one and not the MG version, I guess it will have to stay in the cabinet it lives in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    That is the same with my FW, and so I found an old portable file box with extending handle and wheels that I put it in. Works great.

  6. #32581
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That is a ROAD TRIP starter for somebody....
    Just what I was thinking, Miriam....I'm too far away, but maybe Charlee?

  7. #32582
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    I have one of those lovely cabinets. I'll look underneath and let you know, but it'll be tonite.
    Janice; Thanks. DH unscrewed the made up hole cover but we saved the board to possibly make an extension to help 201 stay in plce when upright in cabinet.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  8. #32583
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    I think it's 'American Buttonhole, Overseaming and Sewing Machine Co.' (American BHO and Sewing Machine Co), established in 1867 in Philadelphia, which manufactured sewing machines till around 1896. I'm not sure about the model number (would be nice if they'd taken a picture of the front!), but there's a sketch of a similar-looking machine on the Smithsonian site (dated 1874). If 15995 is the serial number, this machine *may* date to 1870.

    http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image3.htm

    Here's a nice description (from somewhere around 1870-74):

    http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image1.htm

    pat
    Wow...pretty cool machine, then!!!

  9. #32584
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Thank you Pat and Cathy! Very interesting! So my little Damascus was made anywhere between the 1920's to the 1940's? If book 1 estimates the dates between 1920's to 1930's, then book 2 says 1930's to 1940's, I am going to go with Book 1 since according to the owner his grandmother made doll clothes with the machine in the 1920's after getting the machine as a gift. If you guys see in Book 2 that for sure my machine was made later than the 1920's, I want to know! This is fun!
    Nancy,

    The way I read it is that she found evidence in the store catalogs that the 'American Girl' and 'Eldregette' variants were around from around 1928-1938, and that the 'Damascus' was around at least from 1939-1941. Note that although Thomas may be the most comprehensive authority on toys, she is not the Gospel (sorry, Monica!); these books are at least 15 years old, and the Damascus toy may well have been introduced before that.

    pat

  10. #32585
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    LOL my coffee just went all over that keyboard.... I read "according to Thomas" and immediately thought are we quoting the scriptures now, and we even have book I & II.

    Ok, I should stay quiet and drink my coffee.
    Monica, you're sooooo funny!!!

  11. #32586
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Thanks, Monica....I have both machines and I have not checked the wick. That's at the bobbin case, yes?
    Janice, Yes it is. I own two Singer 66-1 that most likely need the wick added. I cleaned up the bobbin area on those machines two years ago when I first started collecting, but never got into that area of the bobbin race. To be honest, I didn't even know what a race was at the time of cleaning or that the machine needs a wick.

    I figured others here most likely didn't know either; so, we all learn together!!

  12. #32587
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    I think it’s called a model “No. 1”. Here’s a look at the front of mine...
    Thanks, CD!

    Mine is in storage somewhere (and I'm not sure I ever figured out what model it was.)

    pat

  13. #32588
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Janice; Thanks. DH unscrewed the made up hole cover but we saved the board to possibly make an extension to help 201 stay in plce when upright in cabinet.
    Chris
    If you need any pictures of the inside or other parts of the cabinet, let me know. It's sitting in my living room, so easy for me to get pics for you.

  14. #32589
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Janice, Yes it is. I own two Singer 66-1 that most likely need the wick added. I cleaned up the bobbin area on those machines two years ago when I first started collecting, but never got into that area of the bobbin race. To be honest, I didn't even know what a race was at the time of cleaning or that the machine needs a wick.

    I figured others here most likely didn't know either; so, we all learn together!!
    Got a question for you. What is the little felt wick for, and how bad is it to the machine if it's not there? I too have a couple with that part missing.

    Joe

  15. #32590
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Got a question for you. What is the little felt wick for, and how bad is it to the machine if it's not there? I too have a couple with that part missing.

    Joe
    It's needed to help oil the race. Like older machines that have a felt wick for the shuttles, the Singer 66 & 99 have a wick for the same reason. Makes sense since the parts are rubbing. Gears get greased and all other parts on metal machines get oiled.

  16. #32591
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    It's needed to help oil the race. Like older machines that have a felt wick for the shuttles, the Singer 66 & 99 have a wick for the same reason. Makes sense since the parts are rubbing. Gears get greased and all other parts on metal machines get oiled.
    Hi Monica, silly question, cause I'm still learning. By race are you referring to the hook ring? I just started cleaning the bobbin area of my 192K Spartan. Thank you, Anamaria

    Looking forward to your tutorial.
    Last edited by grayhare; 03-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.

  17. #32592
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Hi Monica, silly question, cause I'm still learning. By race are you referring to the hook ring? I just started cleaning the bobbin area of my 192K Spartan. Thank you, Anamaria

    Looking forward to your tutorial.
    On the Singer 201, the hook ring is different from the race. I think on the Singer 66/99 the race includes the hook.
    I don't know how the bobbin area is set up on the 192k Spartan. Have you looked at Rain's blog?

    Some of my favorite sites are Rain 's blog, Sew-Classic, and Thayers (CD)-lots can be learned just from these sites.

  18. #32593
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    On the Singer 201, the hook ring is different from the race. I think on the Singer 66/99 the race includes the hook.
    I don't know how the bobbin area is set up on the 192k Spartan. Have you looked at Rain's blog?

    Some of my favorite sites are Rain 's blog, Sew-Classic, and Thayers (CD)-lots can be learned just from these sites.
    I was using the manual for a 99, which if I'm not mistaken is very much like the 192K Spartan. I was using the TFSR website. I will check out the sites you mention, Thank you.

  19. #32594
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    I was using the manual for a 99, which if I'm not mistaken is very much like the 192K Spartan. I was using the TFSR website. I will check out the sites you mention, Thank you.
    That was the other site that I was trying to recall. Yes!! Another excellent site for machines. Thanks!!

  20. #32595
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    I think the 16x1 will be too long. I need to check my needle list/ book first to be sure.

    Cathy

    [QUOTE=BoJangles;5078884]
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Ok, I found Thomas Book I. She mentions that the 'American Girl' variant was offered in Montgomery Ward catalogs from 1928 through 1938, but that the 'Damascus' variant appeared in the MW catalogs of 1939, 1940, and 1941. So these little guys apparently were made into the 1940s (she gives the Damascus manufacture dates as 1930s-1940s). I'm not sure of the production dates of the full-size Damascus machines, but National may have introduced this variant to coincide with some promotion of its larger cousin.

    Thank you Pat and Cathy! Very interesting! So my little Damascus was made anywhere between the 1920's to the 1940's? If book 1 estimates the dates between 1920's to 1930's, then book 2 says 1930's to 1940's, I am going to go with Book 1 since according to the owner his grandmother made doll clothes with the machine in the 1920's after getting the machine as a gift. If you guys see in Book 2 that for sure my machine was made later than the 1920's, I want to know! This is fun!

    Oh Cathy, according to ISMACS needle site, the Damascus TSM takes a 16x1 needle, which to me would be way too big?

    Nancy
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  21. #32596
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Got a question for you. What is the little felt wick for, and how bad is it to the machine if it's not there? I too have a couple with that part missing.

    Joe
    Joe, I have read if you can't get wool felt to replace the wick, you can use cotton yarn. I almost pulled the wick out when it was dirty thinking it was compacted lint, then I remembered I had read something about a wick before I got my Redeye. Now that I have soaked the base in kerosene, the wick is bright red.

  22. #32597
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Joe, I have read if you can't get wool felt to replace the wick, you can use cotton yarn. I almost pulled the wick out when it was dirty thinking it was compacted lint, then I remembered I had read something about a wick before I got my Redeye. Now that I have soaked the base in kerosene, the wick is bright red.
    Also can use the spool felt cut down to fit inside.

  23. #32598
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    If you need any pictures of the inside or other parts of the cabinet, let me know. It's sitting in my living room, so easy for me to get pics for you.
    Janice; Thanks again. I think this is a tonite project for us so will let you know. The cabinet wasn't a priority until MIL said she was coming out for DD's HS graduation which means I need to almost completely empty craft room for a bed to go in there for her. OTOH, I am cleaning and sorting and putting tohether vaious bitsd and pieces which had gotten separated. Still have yet to find the mssing ruler which was replaced but replacement is also missing. Murphy's Law running amuck in my life again.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  24. #32599
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Janice; Thanks again. I think this is a tonite project for us so will let you know. The cabinet wasn't a priority until MIL said she was coming out for DD's HS graduation which means I need to almost completely empty craft room for a bed to go in there for her. OTOH, I am cleaning and sorting and putting tohether vaious bitsd and pieces which had gotten separated. Still have yet to find the mssing ruler which was replaced but replacement is also missing. Murphy's Law running amuck in my life again.
    There is NOTHING worse than cleaning your house MOTHER IN LAW clean. You know we would ALL be down to your house to help you spit and polish if we could just gather up. I do have to tell you a funny one though. My DD is really good with training birds. I don't know how but it comes natural to her. ANYWAY. She acquired a very ugly old bird nobody could do anything with once. That bird took to her and my youngest son, especially my youngest son. He was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. That bird would ride on the back of the neck of his shirt - they went EVERYWHERE together. He was that bird's baby or something. You didn't mess with that bird. OK so MIL comes for a visit. The kids decide to introduce MIL to bird. MIL tells the bird she is ugly (true) so the bird says just as plain as can ever be, "YOU BI*** - F*** YOU" We had NEVER heard anything like it from that bird before or after that.....
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  25. #32600
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    There is NOTHING worse than cleaning your house MOTHER IN LAW clean. You know we would ALL be down to your house to help you spit and polish if we could just gather up. I do have to tell you a funny one though. My DD is really good with training birds. I don't know how but it comes natural to her. ANYWAY. She acquired a very ugly old bird nobody could do anything with once. That bird took to her and my youngest son, especially my youngest son. He was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. That bird would ride on the back of the neck of his shirt - they went EVERYWHERE together. He was that bird's baby or something. You didn't mess with that bird. OK so MIL comes for a visit. The kids decide to introduce MIL to bird. MIL tells the bird she is ugly (true) so the bird says just as plain as can ever be, "YOU BI*** - F*** YOU" We had NEVER heard anything like it from that bird before or after that.....
    !!!!! Wow....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.