Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Anyone know what this vintage Bell machine is worth? It says made in Germany on it, but all my research says these were made in PA??
Candace, you are really close to me aren't you? I saw that green machine on Craigslist too. Really a neat looking machine.

Nancy
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Second, what decal is on that machine? It almost looks like from what I can see a Sphinx, which I know it can't be because they didn't start using the Sphinx until 1913 or so.

Nancy
I have a 1901 model 27 with Sphinx decals.
Really, that is interesting because I thought Billy said that decal was not used until 1913? I am obviously wrong!

I have a model 127 Sphinx, but it is a 1913 machine.

Nancy

Ok I just went to http://needlebar.org/main~nb/singdecs/index.html and you are right! It seems the Sphinx was used on the Model 27 and 28 pre 1900 to early 1900's, but not on the Model 127 until about 1912 because (I think) that is when they started making the 127?

I love the education!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 AM

My Sphinx 127 treadle dates back to 1905. She is pictured on page 489.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Anyone know what this vintage Bell machine is worth? It says made in Germany on it, but all my research says these were made in PA??
Candace, you are really close to me aren't you? I saw that green machine on Craigslist too. Really a neat looking machine.

Nancy

Yes, Nancy I'm relatively close to you. I've been in contact with the seller and it's cute for sure. I just need it like a hole in the head, you know. ;> Especially since it's not in the traveling case and no attachments:<
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Redpurselady isn't yours a Model 27? The Model 127 had the bobbin winder much higher. My 127 is pictured on page 469.

By the way, I love you Sphinx!

Nancy
Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I found a featherweight in the garbage at the curb a few streets over in my hood. .
I just realized when I finished reading this that my mouth was WIDE OPEN! I'm green with envy!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Redpurselady isn't yours a Model 27? The Model 127 had the bobbin winder much higher. My 127 is pictured on page 469.

By the way, I love you Sphinx!

Nancy
Yes, you are right - she is a 27. I get confused sometimes since I also have a 1949 128. Too many numbers for this old brain. :mrgreen:
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Poor Rose! Got up this morning and the tank had got clogged up and water everywhere! Machine is fine but more damage to the cabinet. Did get my wish, shes going back to my sewing room. Rose is posted on 531. I also checked out the serial number...turns out Rose is a 1924 Singer 127, made in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada! "made in Canada, by Canadians, for Canadians" was the slogan used by Singer at the time. Mom remembered that. Guess I will have to address her with Bonjour!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
It was packed in a single box stuffed with crumbled newspapers. The machine and case was also wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap. The SM was tied to the base with string--I guess that was supposed to keep it from falling out of the base but the string was broken and the SM was half way out of the base. The domed case was no longer attached and the veneer had splintered with a good portion of it laying in small pieces inside the box :cry:

Actually, the case was still attached to the base, at the point where it locks, but the rest of the case was all smashed. I have to give the seller some credit :roll: ---he removed the handle of the case and wrapped it nice and securely so that it wouldn't punch a hole in the shipping box. I can't remember which company did the shipping but the seller had insured the package and I got all of my money back. So I got the machine for free but what had caught my eye, in the auction, was the beautiful bentwood case.
And to think he was offended when you questioned his shipping methods BEFORE the shipment! Did he apologize or indicate in any way that he had goofed?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Nancy

Yes, Nancy I'm relatively close to you. I've been in contact with the seller and it's cute for sure. I just need it like a hole in the head, you know. ;> Especially since it's not in the traveling case and no attachments:<
Have the two of you seen this one listed? Not your half hour drive though! I have been looking at this, but I'm not into motors.
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2142554994.html

Looks like motorectomy could be done on this one. Also looks like the circular thing in back may be for cams. Looks interesting.