Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM

It is soooo much fun reading all the posts and find out that your children think you are nuts too. Ours told us that we were spending there inheritence. We told them we would leave them a sewing machine and possibably 2 if they were GOOD! Our son is a machinest and electronics technican and does a lot of work for us to fix our machines. He also makes all my quilt templets. Daughter doesn't say toooo much except what you need another machine for? She doesn't know how many we have. If she did she would p--p a squeely worm. If she read this artical she would have a hissy.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by tjradj
Could all of you be on the lookout for me? This is exactly like the treadle and cabinet and machine that I picked up last week for $60. But, I'm missing the front drawer. If anyone finds that drawer or drawer front, could you let me know where, who, email, phone, etc? Thanks.
http://vintagesewingmachine.net/Pict...dle/index.html
I also need one of this type of drawer, but my cabinet (which hasn't been cleaned up or refinished yet) is an 1894 coffin top, and only one of the pulls is present. I've seen drawers on sale on ebay, but they cost more than I paid for the machine and the shipping is also high, so I'm hoping to find something locally. If I do I'll let you know, since I only need one drawer.
There is one of the drawers that I need on ebay but the bidding is getting pretty high.
I'm wondering if the drawer that I did get is one to your cabinet. It looks the same as the one I'm looking for except it doesn't have the pattern in the middle. It needs some TLC, as the right corner is missing on the drawer front. The drawer itself is fine and the rest of the drawer front is good.

front cabinet drawer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158788.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I thought so. Do you know if that White that I posted is the White FW. Don't see too many of those posted either. Does anyone own a White FW?
I read the article you referenced. The wording sounds like a non-English speaker, maybe an article written for a class, but not something that was well researched.

Last sentence in the article: "And if the company can survive Depression and two world wars, it's impossible that they couldn't get through intense competition now."
Huh? White was acquired by Electrolux in 1986. Bottom line is that I don't think the information is accurate. I think the "researcher" got mixed up with the White Company and white featherweights made by Singer, but I could be wrong.
I would not speculate if this person is non-English or not, or if this piece is equivalent to something that may be written for a class. This type of writing is now found in many of our periodicals today. But, I do think that the writer may have gotten confused with the machines. And that is why I'm asking for information. Did Singer take the White FW and improve it?
I have no doubt this was written by a non-English speaker (not that it matters, just an observation and speculation that this is a paper written by a non-English speaker to improve his English and the research is highly suspect). This is the type of sentence I'm referring to: "Most of all, the Featherweight antique White sewing machine was very lightweight-it only weighed less than 20 pounds. You wouldn't have any problem keeping it away even at the top of the stairs. " Actually almost every paragraph in the article has some strange-sounding phrase, often referring to White producing antique machines: "Meanwhile, when the twentieth century was basically new, the company opted to release another antique White sewing machine." So if the writer is still learning English, it would be easy to get confused with white (a color) featherweights, vs. machines made by White.

However - I did find some places where people refer to their White 77 as a featherweight, and here is an article on converting the 77 to treadle, with pictures that look like the machine in your ebay listing: http://www.treadleon.net/whitesm/whi...ick77conv.html
Here are the pictures that refer to the 77 as a featherweight - http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...69279629Llmbrq

And here's an article that says the White 77 was designed to compete with the Singer 221 featherweight.
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...itemodel77.htm

So much stuff available on the internet, don't know how much of it is accurate, I should get off the computer and start sewing...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Have you had your laugh for the day? In my search for a metal machine with a wider harp, I came across a Singer 301A on ebay. It was listed at $1.99 with reserve not met. I kept bidding just to find out what the reserve was - no one else bid and now it's mine. It's not a pretty machine, but if she does what I want, I can live with it. She comes all ready to sew with a new cord and foot.

Too bad I have to quilt my current quilt before it can arrive. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 AM

[quote=irishrose]Have you had your laugh for the day? In my search for a metal machine with a wider harp, I came across a Singer 301A on ebay. It was listed at $1.99 with reserve not met. I kept bidding just to find out what the reserve was - no one else bid and now it's mine.

Just did the same thing with a 301, a black one. Just bid to see what was what, and won it for $13.00! Exorbitant shipping however. I have a beige 301 and it does really perform beautifully so I'm still happy I got it. You will love yours!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM

I didn't get mine for that, but I did get it for a fraction of the 'buy it now' price. Even with shipping it will be about the same price as a cleaning and servicing, so if the guy's a decent serviceman, I'm not behind in the game. I'm starting to get excited.

Anyone have a decent picture of a aqua and white 1950s White. If I can't have my mother's machine, I'll settle for a picture.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I have no doubt this was written by a non-English speaker (not that it matters, just an observation and speculation that this is a paper written by a non-English speaker to improve his English and the research is highly suspect). This is the type of sentence I'm referring to: "Most of all, the Featherweight antique White sewing machine was very lightweight-it only weighed less than 20 pounds. You wouldn't have any problem keeping it away even at the top of the stairs. " Actually almost every paragraph in the article has some strange-sounding phrase, often referring to White producing antique machines: "Meanwhile, when the twentieth century was basically new, the company opted to release another antique White sewing machine." So if the writer is still learning English, it would be easy to get confused with white (a color) featherweights, vs. machines made by White.

However - I did find some places where people refer to their White 77 as a featherweight, and here is an article on converting the 77 to treadle, with pictures that look like the machine in your ebay listing: http://www.treadleon.net/whitesm/whi...ick77conv.html
Here are the pictures that refer to the 77 as a featherweight - http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...69279629Llmbrq

And here's an article that says the White 77 was designed to compete with the Singer 221 featherweight.
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...itemodel77.htm

So much stuff available on the internet, don't know how much of it is accurate, I should get off the computer and start sewing...
Ok, Dunster, I see where you are going with this one. I didn't read the entire article like you had, just the section on the FW. And yes, the entire article is poorly written.

Thanks for the links on the White FWs. It is interesting to see that the White Co. made a similar machine. The White machine is not a cute as the Singer FWs, but still a cute machine.

Wish I lived close enough to get a look at the White FW post on the CLs since I haven't seen any White FWs posted. Plus, the buttonholer and attachments are in a leather holder, another item I haven't seen posted.

Thanks for looking for more information!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Has anyone come across this site? I love reading these stories! I found them yesterday while researching FWs.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~featherweight/stories.htm#daniel
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Have you had your laugh for the day? In my search for a metal machine with a wider harp, I came across a Singer 301A on ebay. It was listed at $1.99 with reserve not met. I kept bidding just to find out what the reserve was - no one else bid and now it's mine. It's not a pretty machine, but if she does what I want, I can live with it. She comes all ready to sew with a new cord and foot.

Too bad I have to quilt my current quilt before it can arrive. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow.
Congratulations on your purchase. Now comes the real price, what did it cost you altogether now that is has to be shipped?

Nsncy
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Has anyone come across this site? I love reading these stories! I found them yesterday while researching FWs.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~featherweight/stories.htm#daniel
Vintagemotif, I loved reading those stories. They remind me of my own mother who loved her Pfaff 130 and would not sew on anything else. Even after I gave her a much more modern machine -- she tried, but went back to her beloved Pfaff 130. She made me promise I would keep that machine when she was gone. I use it now.

Nancy