Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Here is an awesome site: http://www.dincum.com/imagelibraryindex.html

There are some beautiful vintage machines in this collection!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I used the Davis for straight-line quilting and to put on the binding. It is just wonderful--no puckers, etc. The needle feed keeps all the layers together and keeps things moving smoothly.
Wow, you guys I have been talking to a guy in VA that I purchased some needles for the Davis from. His name is Bill. Billy do you know this guy? He uses bgrewe224u for his e-bay account.

Anyway, he is very interesting. He sold me some Boye #20 needles for the Davis Vertical Feed. When I told him I needed Boye #10, he explained that the early Davis Vertical Feed that used the boat type shuttle used the Boye #20. He said the Davis machines with the bullet shuttle were from about 1895-1910, then the Davis VF machines with serial numbers that were over 2 million or so use regular 15x1 needles.

This started a conversation because my Davis VF2 has a serial number of 610833, and the last patent date on the machine is 1885. Since the patent dates are changing every year or so -- mine has Oct, 1881, Nov 1881, Jan 1883, then May 1885; I figured my Davis had to be about 1886 -1890 at most.

Bill says my machine with the 600k serial number puts my VF2 on the cusp of the change-over from the boat shuttle to the bullet shuttle. He said my machine is also at the end of the VF2 production line, he thinks my machine was the change-over to the bullet shuttle.

Anyway, this all makes sense except one of your machines - Randa is it yours, has a patent date of 1886? That would mean my machine has to be 1885 or it would also say 1886 if there was a later than 1885 patent date? In other wards, if my machine is 1895 that would mean there would be no more patent dates between my 1885 date and 1895? Isn't that right?

Billy, Miz Johnny, anyone else see what I am saying?

Nancy
Nancy, Where is this guy in VA. How can my DH contact him. We are living on the VA line and could possibably go see him.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Here is our newest "little Lady" she came from Florida today.Probably wishing she was back in Florida after the ride in the UPS truck to snowy WV. Was born March 3, 1964. We can only find 2 little marks on her. Was well taken care of by other owner.
She is sweet. Did you get her case, etc. ? I also have a 1964 white FW. Love her. Congrats. BTW: was it your idea to send the snow up here to Mass. LOL
No, no case just machine. We tried putting up a deture sign so I don't know where the snow went from here. Really thought our friends in MI sent it to us. :hunf:
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by Lostn51
The only catch to the patent dates and the serial on the bobbin/needle plates is the fact that they can get swapped out through the years and then you have no idea as to what the exact year of the machine is. We have ran across that several times on the Needlebar.

Billy
Mine matches the number on the sales certificate. And guess what...I took this machine out of the cabinet and brought it into bright light. Some kind of cleaner(?) or heat was used on the machine....the "glaze" has run and it's all bumpy, and looks like the shine is off the top and partially off the "body" of the machine (the right hand part that holds the bobbin winder) and the flat part of the machine is loaded with the shiny bumpy blistery looking glaze. Looks like it got overheated.

Thank you for the info, BoJangles!!
Randa, from what you have said about the glaze on your machine ours has done the same. We thought someone spilled something on it. When you try to remove it the finish comes off. So maybe a canidate for a repaint. I am sure the slide plate is orginial because it was so hard to remove both sides. Also the machine came from the orginial owner's auction.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 AM

Nancy, Thank you for taking the time to look up the date of my Davis. I really appreciate it. I wrote it all down so I wouldn't forget. I keep a log of all my machines so someone else down the line would know the models and dates. I know our children will have an auction of our things one day and they will have a record of each machine. I know they wouldn't want them they think we are NUTS!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Well, in this day of electronic gadgets how else would you describe us? Except maybe: Contented & Happy.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 AM

oops - sorry for the double post.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM

I am having so much fun reading this thread. Too bad that's not all I do. My Fam thinks I am nuts. I now have a black and a white featherweight and a 201 that I have running and am using on regular basis. All told, I now have 14 machines, but still working on the rest of them, all either free or under $30, with exception of the featherweights. Kids insist I need to stay away from Ebay and CL, I tell them I still need a 99 and 66, at least! I am real anxious to get the pre 1099 treadle in and check her out. It has a long bobbin and I am anxious to see just what kind of machine this is. I keep hearing so much about the VF i am hopeing. Prob is, my house is VERY small and to fit the 201 I had to through out the tv stand. Seriously! I am going to get some pictures one of these days and post them.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM

buslady, I understand your problem. My daughter decided to move home, and now I have to find space for all her things as well as the machines that follow me home! Ah, well. I managed to get her hooked on the vintage machines! :thumbup: So when she marries (June) and moves out, she is taking two of the machines (and all her things) with her. Whoohoo! Room for more machines to come!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that back in the day, the companies were in competition to make the smaller, lighter weight machines, and now they're competing to make the longest arm DSM?