Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nfritz3
Hi everyone. I am new to the board and use it to help my grandmother out with her quilting fun however she's not good with computers. So I bought a machine at an estate sale recently and would like to give it to her at an upcoming holiday. It is a 1927 model 99 one of the portable case ones. I was able to get everything cleaned and working except one thing. I am looking for the detachable knee bar for the machine. The knee bar is the type with the circular end to it is not the flat bar type. I know these are ahrd to find. If anyone can help me out in finding one and selling it to me for a fair price Id appreiate it. Thanks.
I do not have any at this time but when I run into one I will post it in the classifieds.

Billy
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sew wishful
I checked out the machines today. I was mistaken...the old black one is a MW, 1940's crinkle finish. It runs great, except it needs new wiring. I took a chance and sewed with it in it's condition, but I would not recommend anyone else do that. The other two...one is a Singer that ran just barely...the wheel turned but the needle bar didn't move. I cleaned her up and oiled her and before long she was humming! Very quiet and sews a good stitch. The other is another MW "Signature" uses cams and sews like a dream. The lady bought it back in 1980 USED and had it serviced regularly. I'm gonna find a good home for these machines or take them to the consignment store. Except the one that needs wiring....I'll try my hand at this one before sending it on. Pics to come.
Randa, wish you were closer. I passed up a brown MWs for my grandson but still have that in mind for him.
Oh, Linda, that would be so cool to give this to him...I think it is brown. But as mentioned...it needs rewiring! I've never seen one before, so was surprised that it ran as well as it did. Much quieter than some of the old Singers I have. Why a MW for him instead of a Singer, if I can ask? And it is a bit lighter than the newer green Signature. That one is a tank!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I brough home a new one. My mom bought it for me as a present

It is a Singer 15 made in Germany (this one really was made there lol) and it has a little table I love it!
It came from a nice couple that is in the military and bought it when they were stationed over there in Germany. Now they have to move again and didnt want to lug it

I want to use it for FMQ I couldn't figure out how to drop the feed dogs so I just loosened the screw and lowered them permanently(till I put the screw back)

Anyone know what sub model this one is Singer lost the records.
The serial number is C830466
Gingerbread or Tiffany decals; either a 15-30 or 115. 15-30 is ocillating shuttle; 115 is rotary.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muv
It's a 128, not a 28. If it were a 28 it would have a larger balance wheel, a bobbin winder set at the foot of the pillar, and a thumb tab under the tension discs to free the thread. 28s are an older model, raising the presser foot didn't automatically release the tension, so you had to do it by pressing on the tab every time you removed your work.

The decals are nice. They are known as La Vencedora. Does anyone know why Singer had a decal with a Spanish name?
The decals were not named by Singer; the decal names are a fairly recent thing. I have a friend who found a Letter A with an unknown decal--she then got to name it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by hspirit_99
found this at a thrieft shop. she is called an Aldena, but has singer decals and serial number. she isnt much bigger if any then my FW
Aldens--mail order catalog.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Well, the Singer has been spoken for. It's outta here tomorrow. Another would like the Signature, but needs me to store it for awhile. Hmmm....
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I brough home a new one. My mom bought it for me as a present

It is a Singer 15 made in Germany (this one really was made there lol) and it has a little table I love it!
It came from a nice couple that is in the military and bought it when they were stationed over there in Germany. Now they have to move again and didnt want to lug it

I want to use it for FMQ I couldn't figure out how to drop the feed dogs so I just loosened the screw and lowered them permanently(till I put the screw back)

Anyone know what sub model this one is Singer lost the records.
The serial number is C830466
Gingerbread or Tiffany decals; either a 15-30 or 115. 15-30 is ocillating shuttle; 115 is rotary.
Thank you Billy and Miz Johnny. Its is a 15 it has the oscillating bobbin so that means its a 15-30. Thanks so much!

Billy I could not find a knob under the bed, but I watched the motion of how the feed dogs move and I saw a screw that that held and arm in place that moves the feed dogs, so I loosened that screw and moved it over so the arm would drop. That worked to lower the feed dogs.
Now I cant get the feed dogs but up right but that okay since I am only using this one for FMQ.

I am working on getting her tension right for quilting and it should be great!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Well, the Singer has been spoken for. It's outta here tomorrow. Another would like the Signature, but needs me to store it for awhile. Hmmm....
Wow, you acquire and get rid of sewing machines pretty fast.

You asked why a MW for Taylor (5)? He is all mechanical boy. It looks to me to be the sturdiest and without a lot of dials. But, that could just be me... :-D
Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 PM

I had posted this question a ways back on Page 1176 of this thread:

"Can I ask a question about my hand-crank machine? I can sew for about 15 minutes before the screw holding the crank comes loose and it starts clunking loudly (and would fall off, I'm sure, if I just kept cranking!). Is this just something that usually happens with the cranks? I keep a screwdriver right next to the machine now so I can tighten it up when this happens, but it's kind of annoying."

Miz Johnny answered and asked if my crank is original or repro. Of course, I have no earthly idea, as this is my first vintage machine! So here's a picture of the crank. If anyone has a suggestion about the problem of the screw coming loose, I'd appreciate any input.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215092.jpe  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 AM

I checked out the machines today. I was mistaken...the old black one is a MW, 1940's crinkle finish. It runs great, except it needs new wiring. I took a chance and sewed with it in it's condition, but I would not recommend anyone else do that. The other two...one is a Singer that ran just barely...the wheel turned but the needle bar didn't move. I cleaned her up and oiled her and before long she was humming! Very quiet and sews a good stitch. The other is another MW "Signature" uses cams and sews like a dream. The lady bought it back in 1980 USED and had it serviced regularly. I'm gonna find a good home for these machines or take them to the consignment store. Except the one that needs wiring....I'll try my hand at this one before sending it on. Pics to come.
Randa, I love the old crinkle MW's machine and the green MW's is really cool too!

Nancy