Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Here is an old industrial Singer for sale in my area. It was used to put labels on mattresses. He says it does a few different stitches. The model # is 107. It is a ZZ.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160758.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Woohoo! I'm going to compare a new Schmetz with the one that came with ... I'll look at them side-by-side under a loupe and see if there is any difference. :) Happy day! I do machine embroidery on my Husqvarna so I buy them in the 100's boxes so I'm not so stingy changing out needles often.[/quote]

Which Husqvarna embroidery machine do you have?
Sharon
Old 01-15-2011, 12:37 PM

I have a Singer treadle machine that has just gathered dust for years. Today I decided to open it up and dust it off. It looked so pretty so I decided I will leave it out to show off. Meanwhile the belt needed replaced so hubby looked for it on line. Using the serial number found that it was made Nov 1910-----wow I sure was surprised. Ordered the belt and some needles from Singer---the postage was free! So I will try it out as soon as the parts arrive.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Hey, Billy, my modern-machine-mechanic told me that I could use the Schmetz needles I use for my newer machines in my Singer 27 ~ yes? he said they are the same size as the 15x1? I am going to size it up in the next couple days (only got one needle in the machine)... but that would be great because I buy those needles by the 100's!
I'm not Billy, but your modern machine tech is correct. The Singer 27 uses a 15x1 as do the majority of the old Singers. The exceptions are the 319,306,206. That's all as far as I know.
Sharon W.
Even the 306 can use 15x1 if they are timed for that size. Mine does now that my machine repairman retimed it.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm back working in the basement this weekend, though, so you never know what's going to turn up!! (Mostly rufflers and about 800,000 yards of fabric so far.)
Can I come play with your stash?!? I bet I could come up with at least 27 new projects :) :mrgreen:
I want to help too! That would be fun going through all that fabric.
I'm thinking about opening up a sweat shop. I'll put the two of you first on my list. I actually have most of it in a storage unit so I can empty out the junk. Sad but true. The importance of my existence is so you all can tell husbands, "At least I'm not as bad as Miz Johnny!"
Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is an old industrial Singer for sale in my area. It was used to put labels on mattresses. He says it does a few different stitches. The model # is 107. It is a ZZ.
And I personally think YOU need it!!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM

I found some GoJo at my local Ace hardware store. They also have Scots Liquid Gold. I spend alot of time and effort working on that 221, and I am happy to say it looks alot better-ALOT. I cleaned oiled and greased it. I could almost hear it saying 'Ahhhh..'. I wish I had taken a before picture, but if anyone is interested in having a look I could post a picture. Billy, please post a picture of the machine you did for the quilt shop. We'd like to see it.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:56 PM

I just got a 99K in my house today!!!!!!!!!!!!! Given to me. I am so excited! It is it's original "bed". I am so tickled. Its birthday is ca November 23, 1955. It is only, give or take, 1 year older than me. Turning the wheel, it runs very smooth, we didn't plug it in because it has one frayed wire that we could see. I can't wait to get some electrical tape to put over the frayed wire just to see how it sounds when it is plugged in. My adjustable chair works just great with it. My arms are just the right angle and hopefully will not make my shoulders ache. It has a bobbin in it with thread!!!! It is missing the thing-a-ma-jiggy that holds the thread, but that is OK. I am just so thrilled to have the machine, I could split my pants!!. Can you tell I am happy? I have thought over the years (before I even dreamed of a sewing machine) about my Grandmothers Trendle and will explore the option of maybe turning this into a Trendle, if it is possible. I can not wait to explore the possibilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy. Photos later.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Grandma 23,
The 99 is a nice machine. I have 3 treadles that I use frequently, they sew great and aren't that hard to learn to use either.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Hi all, Still more questions about my 201. HAven't been able to find a replacement for the thread take up part, so my DH spent an hour or so rigging a metal piece to the broken off arm and it seems like I will eventually be able to thread it and try to sew. But,,,when I plug it in, the motor runs and it seems to drive the needle bar but it is quite slow. Slower than it should be to sew at a reasonable pace.I'm comparing to my 99k and 301 speeds. I have oiled it and still no change. Do you think it's the motor? The mechanisms seem to move freely, just slow.Help! Thanks,
Jane