Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Does anyone know anything about Franklin cabinets on treadle machines?

The cabinet uses the elevator method: when the top is opened, the machine rises and settles into sewing position.

In this picture, the machine has been removed so the cabinet top could be closed (The machine is in pitiful, PITIFUL condition - yes, SO IS the cabinet! but not nearly so bad!).

Is that the drip pan in the center? I'm assuming it's supposed to move when the machine raises and lowers, but it remains in that position. and there's no evidence it's come loose from any connection. Where should the front of the "drip pan" be connected ?

Also, there is a panel (approx 2 x 2) the seller said had "broken off" and needed to be glued into place on the front of the cabinet. Seems unlikely...seems it would be in the way when sewing. I'm wondering if it's not supposed to move when the machine moves.

Finally, the push rod has come loose from the pedal. Apparently, there were bearings in the push rod. Is that all I need to secure the fitting? But what size bearings?

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Franklin Treadle cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160973[/ATTACH]

Franklin Treadle Machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160990[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160968.jpe   attachment-160985.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM

Is that quarter sawn oak? Looks like it to me.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is an old industrial Singer for sale in my area. It was used to put labels on mattresses. He says it does a few different stitches. The model # is 107. It is a ZZ.
And I personally think YOU need it!!
lol, I don't think so - it just looks funny to me.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Does anyone know anything about Franklin cabinets on treadle machines?

The cabinet uses the elevator method: when the top is opened, the machine rises and settles into sewing position.

In this picture, the machine has been removed so the cabinet top could be closed (The machine is in pitiful, PITIFUL condition - yes, SO IS the cabinet! but not nearly so bad!).

Is that the drip pan in the center? I'm assuming it's supposed to move when the machine raises and lowers, but it remains in that position. and there's no evidence it's come loose from any connection. Where should the front of the "drip pan" be connected ?

Also, there is a panel (approx 2 x 2) the seller said had "broken off" and needed to be glued into place on the front of the cabinet. Seems unlikely...seems it would be in the way when sewing. I'm wondering if it's not supposed to move when the machine moves.

Finally, the push rod has come loose from the pedal. Apparently, there were bearings in the push rod. Is that all I need to secure the fitting? But what size bearings?

Would greatly appreciate any help!
Franklin machines were made for Sears by various companies, depending on the year. I believe this one to be a Domestic. I had one like it, with the cool "Scarab" decals, and it was a fine machine. It's basically identical to a Singer 27/127, and most of the parts are interchangeable. I was missing a slide plate to mine, and replaced with a 127 plate.

I think the "pan" (not sure what this is called) should be attached to the front by small chains, but wouldn't swear to that. My memory is vague on that one. The front panel was attached so that it would swing up when the cabinet top and head comes up.

I have seen this cabinet with various machines in it, and think it's one of the more beautiful cabinets. I'm a sucker for any Arts and Crafts furniture.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
the motor runs and it seems to drive the needle bar but it is quite slow. Slower than it should be to sew at a reasonable pace.I'm comparing to my 99k and 301 speeds. I have oiled it and still no change. Do you think it's the motor? The mechanisms seem to move freely, just slow.Help! Thanks,
Jane
I just read, somewhere on this board, that there is something inside the foot pedal that you screw, either clockwise or counterclockwise, to adjust the speed of the machine.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 PM

Does anyone recognize what model this machine is?

It is on my local Craigslist for $50, including the cabinet!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161137.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Shhhh....can you keep a secret? I went to Goodwill today and guess what....there were two Singer machines there...I don't know model numbers or anything...I can't get it out to look it over good either...I haven't told the husband yet. GULP! I know I have to sooner or later, but right now it will be later. I only paid $20 for the better of the two...the other was $20 also, but in bad bad shape...It sat and looked at me with that "I dare you to take me home" look on it and I kept thinking...what a great machine to really sink my new found love of old machines into...the wires were all frayed, it was cakes with dirt/grime, Ooohhh...I wanted both so bad!!! On Monday while he's working I'll get it out and look it over and take some picks and you all can tell me what I have, okay? Getting really itchy to get it out!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

I'm not 100% sure but I think it may be a model 99. I would pay that. What is the cabinet like?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

I'm not 100% sure but I think it may be a model 99. I would pay that. What is the cabinet like?
Here's more pics from the ad:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161165.jpe   attachment-161166.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Shhhh....can you keep a secret? I went to Goodwill today and guess what....there were two Singer machines there...I don't know model numbers or anything...I can't get it out to look it over good either...I haven't told the husband yet. GULP! I know I have to sooner or later, but right now it will be later. I only paid $20 for the better of the two...the other was $20 also, but in bad bad shape...It sat and looked at me with that "I dare you to take me home" look on it and I kept thinking...what a great machine to really sink my new found love of old machines into...the wires were all frayed, it was cakes with dirt/grime, Ooohhh...I wanted both so bad!!! On Monday while he's working I'll get it out and look it over and take some picks and you all can tell me what I have, okay? Getting really itchy to get it out!!!
You are sick....sick....sick..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a dilapidated 301 that I bought really cheap to use as a guinea pig in learning how work with my "good" 301's. See, that alone is a good enough reason to buy the 'sad' machine....it will be the one that you will learn so much on without being afraid of ruining it :thumbup: