Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
QuiltnCowgirl that, I am pretty sure, is a Model 15. Look where the tension is - on the face of the machine. A Model 99 has the tension on the front side like most machines. Also, a Model 99 is a 3/4 size machine. Anyone else? I would bet on it being a 15.

Nancy
Oh I get it! I was misunderstanding "face of the machine" vs "front side" LOL (please don't ask what I thought each meant)

I think I can't resist at least calling on the 15 tomorrow & then figure out how to explain to hubby that I am getting a 3rd sewing machine - and another old one at that! (my "current" 2 are a Singer Featherweight & a 403).
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Which Husqvarna embroidery machine do you have?
I have the Designer I ESS bought in 2002 just before the USB was introduced (mine is floppy driven) ~ but that's ok, I've left it floppy drive because I heard horror stories about the USB version being really really slow. And I still have an older laptop that runs my software (have full design package).

Works for me, would love to have a Diamond, I could design some really kickin' stuff with that size design field, but its not in the cards with that price. My D1 is still pluggin' along, and I do a lot with it. Have the Sapphire 850 also for larger throat to FMQ (10" throat like the 875 / Diamond). Don't think I can go back to the baseline machines, except for the new treadle we just got (1906 Model 27 ~ got my belt just have to get her cleaned up and oiled and I think she's ready to sew)

(BTW I do have a Singer Futura 150 that does embroidery for when my D1 is in for service ~ it gets the job done, but is soooo slow and frustrating to work with)
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Maybe I've confused everyone. There are two machines I've posted, and from looking closer, now that I have been tutored by you guys, here's what I think they are. Let me know if I've got it right.

Yes, everyone's right...you have them backwards. Location of the tension is the first clue. Use this handy guide for IDing Singers:
http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#14
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Use this handy guide for IDing Singers:
http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#14
Thank you! It is now saved in my favorites for future reference.

I sure appreciate everyone's patience while I learned something new tonight...Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Wow - look at this one - on Craigslist too...$350:

Willcox & Gibbs Electric Cast Iron Sewing Machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161222[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161217.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I think the "pan" (not sure what this is called) should be attached to the front by small chains, but wouldn't swear to that. My memory is vague on that one. The front panel was attached so that it would swing up when the cabinet top and head comes up.

I have seen this cabinet with various machines in it, and think it's one of the more beautiful cabinets. I'm a sucker for any Arts and Crafts furniture.
Miz Johnny,
Thanks for confirming some info I found earlier tonight.

One other thing... when the machine needs to be lowered, should one just be able to begin closing the lid to make the machine move downward? Or does one need to give a nudge to the platform the machine is sitting on?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:10 AM

I was at an antique shop this afternoon when I spotted a treadle cabinet front drawer being used as a shelf. The owner of the shop had cut off the long pieces to the front drawer (long sliders) and mounted the drawer so that the tray part (backside) was against the wall. I thought that would be a cute way to decorate a wall in a sewing room. The drawer, now shelf, could hold light weight vintage objects and a mini quilt could be hung underneath. I have a front tray from a very badly ruined cabinet to a treadle that I got when I picked up my free Singer 9W1. The front tray and drawers were the only items worth saving after the treadle. I was planning on selling the front drawer, but after seeing this I may just hold onto it for this project. Has anyone else seen this done?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 AM

Miz Johnny or anyone else, what do you know about a "Free" treadle. I have a friend of a friend who wants me to buy her "Free" treadle.

Does the Free take a special needle -- I have enough of those around here? The machine looks really good and it is in a parlor cabinet that completely closes up.

What do you guys think?

Nancy
Nancy, I picked up a free "Free" and haven't even used it yet. I'm presently using the machine and treadle stand as a small cutting table.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161259.png   attachment-161260.png  
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 AM

[quote=vintagemotif]
Miz Johnny or anyone else, what do you know about a "Free" treadle. I have a friend of a friend who wants me to buy her "Free" treadle.

Does the Free take a special needle -- I have enough of those around here? The machine looks really good and it is in a parlor cabinet that completely closes up.

What do you guys think?

Nancy
Here are pictures of the Free Treadle that a friend of a friend wants to sell me. Her parents have passed on and she want to sell this treadle. I think I could get it for under $100? I don't wants it if I have to find a special needle for it.

Nancy

Free Open Cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161303[/ATTACH]

Free Treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161304[/ATTACH]

Free Cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161298.jpe   attachment-161299.jpe   attachment-161300.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Nancy, I picked up a free "Free" and haven't even used it yet. I'm presently using the machine and treadle stand as a small cutting table.
They look alike except for the cabinet! Do you know how to age one? Have you tried to sew on yours at all?

Nancy