Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Was it in the floods and damgae from Katrina? Just a thought when I saw the location. Also wondered about that fair condition.
I don't know. Mississippi didn't get a flood, just lots of wind. N.O. flooded because a levy broke. The damage on this one happened waaaaaaaaayyyy before Katrina. I am not considering buying that one, but I have a 201 that has lost some paint and I would like to touch it up and get it shiny and beautiful again. Will look for Billy's tute...

I was just wondering if those really fried Singers were a lost cause or not.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
It came with a 220 volt singer motor, it came off as soon as I got it home. I tried the hand crank from my Singer 201k & it works perfectly. I'm quite sure that it was originally a hand cranked machine as the case top fits perfectly with the hand crank still attached to the machine.
Sharon W.
Sharon I have a 99k just like this in the same bentwood case pictured on page 394! I didn't realize I could put a hand crank on it and still fit it in the case! Now I want another HC!

Nancy
Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
[ Also a photo of the 501a that I got today for $10. It runs, but haven't tried it with thread in it yet. I figured it would be good to use for Billy's tutorial on whatever he's going to do using a 501a. (The attachment box says part for a 403, but the manual says 500 series) It has quite a bit of chips on the paint and really needs a good cleaning, and needs a new faceplate, since the current one is broken out at the top pin.
Luv2learn, I have a 503a Rocketeer. If Billy doesn't carry the parts, I picked up all the cams on e-bay. Also, got the book, monogramming attachments, buttonholer attachment, more feet all off E-Bay. The attachments and cams say 403. All the 400 series attachments and cams work on the 500 series machines. You are going to love your Rocketeer, it is a really fun machine to play with. I watch e-bay and still pick up a new cam (old really) once in while with a stitch I didn't have already.

Nancy
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hey, what can you do with a fried old Singer that looks like this:
http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2188706381.html

The inner workings can probably be freed up to sew, but what can you do to improve the cosmetics of a machine like this?
Actually, it looks like the decals are in really nice condition because even though the machine has that coating of dirt on it the decals still show through really well. Hurry!!!! Go get it!! :D
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Sewbizgirl. We are not spoiled just well loved. lol
That's right!

The inner workings can probably be freed up to sew, but what can you do to improve the cosmetics of a machine like this?
Yikes!! Is that thread or cobwebs hanging on it?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Actually, it looks like the decals are in really nice condition because even though the machine has that coating of dirt on it the decals still show through really well. Hurry!!!! Go get it!! :D
Is that just dirt? To me it looks like bare metal and rust, as in, all the finish is gone... Might go look. It's nearby.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Is that just dirt? To me it looks like bare metal and rust, as in, all the finish is gone... Might go look. It's nearby.
No, that's crud and grime. The decals are plainly showing through it and if was bare metal then there wouldn't be any decals. Check out the 'before' and 'after' pics on this site:
http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Good evening everyone,

Nancy, thanx for the info, I was a little confused about the attachment box saying 403, but now I understand. I will keep a lookout on ebay for parts. . . . At least there wouldn't be such a worry of shipping damage on those!!

Over the weekend I decided I was going to stop buying machines until I get these four that "(the devil made me buy") completely done. . .ha! ha! ha! this is my acquisition for today and it wasn't even one on my "gotta have it" list but I received an email today from an ad I responded to 2 wks ago about what kind of machine it was. Then I jumped on line and it seems to definitely be worth the $45. I got it for so. . . . now it sits in here with the others. . . .GOTTA STOP THIS! ! ! ! ! at least for a while! ! ! I still have very long list of "I Want" machines .

This White Rotary SN # 1X50157. I have only seen a couple of pics on this board of a machine similar to it and haven't read anything about them. . .so on it goes. It runs (don't know yet if it actually stitches) but I won't be using it unitl I replace the cord! The attachment and box look like new and the cabinet has no dings and will be beautiful refinished. I will need to find the bobbin extension cover and a manual for it. I will continue reading for info on this board and if anyone knows anything about it that can help me I would appreciate it. Thanx, luv2learn
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM

Oops! forgot the photos - luv2learn

WHITE ROTARY SN 1X50157
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154176[/ATTACH]

White and cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154180[/ATTACH]

Attachments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154185[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154171.jpe   attachment-154175.jpe   attachment-154180.jpe  
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 PM

Sharon W.[/quote]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Sharon, Pretty machine! I'm not surprised that the motor came off as soon as you got it home. I also like your ironing board fabric.
Thank you she's quite happy that someone else thinks she is a pretty girl. think that the machine is in such pretty
condition because the motor was a 220 volt. :D
My DH and I made the big board topper and I made the ironing board cover. We made 2 ironing board toppers for
$45 + had good size pieces of wood scraps for DH to use. My friend helped make hers and we saved lots of money.
:D :thumbup: