Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM

I was telling two of my friends, before nightwatch service, that I did get a treadle machine recently.{I have told several people I was looking for one, that is how a friend's SIL found mine for $30.00 minus a Sr. discount making it only $20.00} After I told them the good deal I got, one of them said they had something that I would probably love to have! She bought it in Europe and has had it in storage for 20 years. It is a hand crank and it is portable in a wooden box. That is all I know about it so far. I am excited about it! She will be bringing it to me, as she is wanting to start cleaning out her storage room. Yea!!! I will post pictures when I do.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Randa

The machine in question is a NVF, looks just like the last one on the second link with all the same decals but doesn't look anything at all like those on e-bay....anyone know how I can take a pic from my e-mail to post on here? So is there another model other than Rotary, Honeymoon or Silent?
I don't know because I'm still learning. From others sharing their pictures and information on vintage machines here and elsewhere on the net, I have learned about the world of vintage sewing machines. So, I asked to see if your machine was the same as those I have already read about or if this is a new Davis machine that I haven't read about yet. And I asked about the price to see if it was around the amount that I have seen on CL or ebay. I like to wander CL looking at vintage machines when I'm not quilting (another way I have learned and how I found Nancy two machines).
You are very lucky to find this machine. Have fun sewing with it! I have read that it is nice machine for sewing on binding.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Billy - weren't you once interested in a vintage longarm?

http://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/2140209464.html
Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by dunster

Wow, What an awesome machine. Never seen one quite like that one before.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

The machine in question is a NVF, looks just like the last one on the second link with all the same decals but doesn't look anything at all like those on e-bay....anyone know how I can take a pic from my e-mail to post on here? So is there another model other than Rotary, Honeymoon or Silent?
I don't know because I'm still learning. From others sharing their pictures and information on vintage machines here and elsewhere on the net, I have learned about the world of vintage sewing machines. So, I asked to see if your machine was the same as those I have already read about or if this is a new Davis machine that I haven't read about yet. And I asked about the price to see if it was around the amount that I have seen on CL or ebay. I like to wander CL looking at vintage machines when I'm not quilting (another way I have learned and how I found Nancy two machines).
You are very lucky to find this machine. Have fun sewing with it! I have read that it is nice machine for sewing on binding.
I haven't purchased it yet...told the guy I was very interested but needed 3-4 days to think it over. He's about 45 miles from me and I have to pick it up...it's cold here, so not in a hurry, except he's storing it in his garage. So, I won't be able to sew on it cuz it's cold and the belt slips he said. I'm sure the belt is "frozen" and doesn't want to bend. I also haven't talked it over with my husband....he won't mind if he doesn't have to pick it up for me. I could take my son in law, except he works until 5:30 and it's dark. Maybe Saturday....I'll break it gently to DH and see if he's interested in stopping when we will be within 15 miles on Saturday! Cross your fingers for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Dunster, Are you looking for a vintage longarm? You got to get a vintage one!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Dunster, Are you looking for a vintage longarm? You got to get a vintage one!
Nope, I have a longarm (definitely not vintage), and there's no room in the house for another one. Besides, I doubt if it has a stitch regulator. :wink:
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM

I haven't purchased it yet...told the guy I was very interested but needed 3-4 days to think it over. He's about 45 miles from me and I have to pick it up...it's cold here, so not in a hurry, except he's storing it in his garage. So, I won't be able to sew on it cuz it's cold and the belt slips he said. I'm sure the belt is "frozen" and doesn't want to bend. I also haven't talked it over with my husband....he won't mind if he doesn't have to pick it up for me. I could take my son in law, except he works until 5:30 and it's dark. Maybe Saturday....I'll break it gently to DH and see if he's interested in stopping when we will be within 15 miles on Saturday! Cross your fingers for me.
OMG! I would be in the car tomorrow morning; I wouldn't wait for DH or son or whomever to help me (that just me). I wouldn't even worry about seeing if the machine worked. If it looks like it doesn't worked the better! I would talk the man down. If it has a motor, I would toss it. I have a box of motors; I'm not interested in machines with motors. I have been able to get great deals, just by pointing out that the motor doesn't seem to work or it is dying. Little did they know that I was going to toss the motor. How much is the man asking?!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

OMG! I would be in the car tomorrow morning; I wouldn't wait for DH or son or whomever to help me (that just me). I wouldn't even worry about seeing if the machine worked. If it looks like it doesn't worked the better! I would talk the man down. If it has a motor, I would toss it. I have a box of motors; I'm not interested in machines with motors. I have been able to get great deals, just by pointing out that the motor doesn't seem to work or it is dying. Little did they know that I was going to toss the motor. How much is the man asking?!
If I didn't have to work, I'd definitly do that too! I wouldn't worry...I'd find help to load it! But I'm a nurse at a hospital 20 miles in the opposite direction. No motor...it's a treadle all the way. He said he was going to refinish the cabinet which he thought was veneer...did I see someone say liquid gold to clean these up? The machine itself is dirty, but not so bad as lots of others I've seen. I'll do the whole clean thing this spring/summer, out in the garage. Guess I'd better do some sweet talking and get this deal sealed. He was asking 75 but if I pick it up 65. What do you think?? LOL!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM

If I didn't have to work, I'd definitly do that too! I wouldn't worry...I'd find help to load it! But I'm a nurse at a hospital 20 miles in the opposite direction. No motor...it's a treadle all the way. He said he was going to refinish the cabinet which he thought was veneer...did I see someone say liquid gold to clean these up? The machine itself is dirty, but not so bad as lots of others I've seen. I'll do the whole clean thing this spring/summer, out in the garage. Guess I'd better do some sweet talking and get this deal sealed. He was asking 75 but if I pick it up 65. What do you think?? LOL!
I would be picking up that machine after work tomorrow, cleaning it in the evening (at my kitchen table if it is too cold outside in the garage) and this weekend just to get it cleaned up to use. No, waiting until spring for me. In fact, it would have already been in my house by now! :) eeks, go get that machine girl!