Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Randa
What type?? I'm clueless. What types are there? It's a treadle, that's all I know except for the above.
Randa, I think what Vintamotif is asking you is - is it a Davis Vertical Feed or a regular feed Davis?

Nancy
Sorry, that I didn't make myself more clear in what I was asking.

Just like Singer made more than one machine, so did the other sewing machine companies, and Davis made a couple of interesting machines.
If you look at ebay (from time to time), there are different Davis machines listed. Listed here are the Rotary, Honeymoon, and the Silent as examples:
http://antiques.shop.ebay.com/Sewing...ewing+machine.
And then with the Davis Vertical Feed there are different models:
http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

alright, I've been bitten by the bug, and it's contagious! I found this on CL today, and it reminds me sooo much of the one I learned on! Billy, any history you can give me?!? Serial #H149696 (user's book is dated 1921). It appears to just be very very dirty, and the drive cable is snapped, but all seems to move fairly smoothly! I've attached a pic of the toys I got with the machine:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152731.jpe   attachment-152732.jpe   attachment-152733.jpe   attachment-152734.jpe   attachment-152735.jpe  

attachment-152738.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM

OMG, That cabinet is georgous!!!The machine is nice too!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Ok Sharon, What other machines are you hiding? I once went to your webshot page when you posted awhile back, and I don't remember seeing this in your machine collection. I like your machine covers that you have made. Did you follow some pattern or did you just measure and make up a pattern yourself?[/quote]

The Pfaff is in its own album, I needed pictures for an OSMG so I could get the proper foot pedal. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/576862065XdbgqG
I measured and made my own pattern. I used some string blocks that were left from making charity quilts. The covers are lined too, I used bias binding for the bottom edge. Its basically a fabric mail box. :lol:
Sharon
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by featherweight
Thanks, Beth ~ I figured it was worth the $50 just for the cabinet! Fixing it all up and shining it up for use will be a labor of love, its pretty icky, but I can already see the wear patterns ~ this machine was used and loved by someone before me... I hope Billy can give me some insight if it is fixable, and if I "overspent" ~ the balance on the treadle motion seems very well balanced still, despite the cable being snapped :)

this shuttle is pretty rusty, not sure if there's a trick to cleaning it up? The other shuttle seems much cleaner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152766[/ATTACH]

but look what else I got! Nice foot!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152767[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152761.jpe   attachment-152762.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Originally Posted by featherweight
Thanks, Beth ~ I figured it was worth the $50 just for the cabinet! Fixing it all up and shining it up for use will be a labor of love, its pretty icky, but I can already see the wear patterns ~ this machine was used and loved by someone before me... I hope Billy can give me some insight if it is fixable, and if I "overspent" ~ the balance on the treadle motion seems very well balanced still, despite the cable being snapped :)
I am sure you will have her working in no time. Very nice ruffler also. Please post pics again after she os all shined up...
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by BoJangles
What type?? I'm clueless. What types are there? It's a treadle, that's all I know except for the above.
Randa, I think what Vintamotif is asking you is - is it a Davis Vertical Feed or a regular feed Davis?

Nancy
Sorry, that I didn't make myself more clear in what I was asking.

Just like Singer made more than one machine, so did the other sewing machine companies, and Davis made a couple of interesting machines.
If you look at ebay (from time to time), there are different Davis machines listed. Listed here are the Rotary, Honeymoon, and the Silent as examples:
The machine in question is a NVF, looks just like the last one on the second link with all the same decals but doesn't look anything at all like those on e-bay....anyone know how I can take a pic from my e-mail to post on here? So is there another model other than Rotary, Honeymoon or Silent?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Deleted by sender
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

The machine in question is a NVF, looks just like the last one on the second link with all the same decals but doesn't look anything at all like those on e-bay....anyone know how I can take a pic from my e-mail to post on here? So is there another model other than Rotary, Honeymoon or Silent?
Wow Randa you lucked out. The Davis New Vertical Feed uses regular 15x1 needles. I have the Davis Vertical Feed 2 and it uses the Boye 10's which are obsolete. I did manage finally to get several off of e-bay for some premium prices.

Nancy
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM

deleted by sender