Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
It's black and I haven't sewn with it yet cause it's in the wrong cabinet style to put a belt on to treadle. We pulled the tail off when we got it and cleaned it up no noticing the holes were in the wrong place for belt to go through cabinet.
Weedwoman, so this machine was originally electric and you want to make it a treadle? What do you mean, you pulled the tail off - are you talking about the handwheel or what?

The machine I won off of e-bay is electric.

Nancy
You know, like Billy says, the tail (electricity). Sorry, I just love how he calles the cord the tail. Yes, I'm gonna treadle it, if I can find a cabinet to put it in, if not, the tail may go back on.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Has anybody else had a hard time getting on the board today? I keep getting the message that the service is down for maintenance.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mamatron
I was wondering if there is a tutorial specific to the Featherweight as far as repairs and restoration/cleaning?
Thank you.
Mamatron, no there is not a tutorial here just for the FW, but if you order the book "Featherweight 221, The Perfect Portable" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro, she explains everthing you could think of about the FW.

As far as cleaning, Billy's tutorials on cleaning work great for any sewing machine. Just do a search here. Billy is Lostn51.

Nancy
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

You know, like Billy says, the tail (electricity). Sorry, I just love how he calles the cord the tail. Yes, I'm gonna treadle it, if I can find a cabinet to put it in, if not, the tail may go back on.
That is funny, now I know what the tail is - I don't remember hearing that before!

Nancy
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Has anybody else had a hard time getting on the board today? I keep getting the message that the service is down for maintenance.
Yes, yesterday and this morning I got that message too.

Nancy
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Yes, yesterday and this morning I got that message too.

Nancy
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM

There was a message in red at the top of the page for several days that said something about the page being down for maintenance on March 29 from 10-1 Pacific time.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Hi folks, I made it to the thrift store yesterday and test drove both the Singer 301 and Necchi Alco 400 (not really vintage in my book). I told the owner I'd thread both machines, adjust the tension and make sure they both ran. The singer had some electrical issues and seemed a little sluggish, so I opted to leave that one at the store. The Necchi, that I wasn't really interested in was like a work horse. It was quiet, smooth, kinda like driving a luxury car, so I brought that one home. All that to get to the question: I want to get some cams for it, I've looked on E-Bay the sellers for the ones listed don't know which machine they are for. Are the cams for the Necchi interchangeable or are the specific to each model? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Marie M.
I have three machines that take cams, and they are all different styles and shapes. I am not sure if yours will match any others, but what I did was do a search on them and find parts houses and such, and use their sales information for reference. I would find the cam for a specific machine to see its shape and at least know what I was looking for if I found some at a flea market.Also, some of the other sewing groups, on yahoo and such, have some good information as well. Good luck.

Melinda
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Billy. I need help. Sewing a back pack with my Singer 191 commercial machine. I guess I left it on too long and the motor overheated. It started to squeal and make all kinds of noise. Turned it off and let it cool down over night. Turned it on this morning --no noise. Sewed one inch (sews fine) and it started squealing again. No over heating now just squealing. Turned it off. Any idea? I sure don't want to burn it up.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/2293752305.html

I think this is high but it sure is a nice looking machine.

Anyone interested?
It is a very interesting looking machine! Too rich for me, but I just have to say I have never seen that many pics on a craigslist ad. I wish most had even half the amount that one has!