Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

OK I need more help :oops: I have another machine A Sears Kenmore Convertible Model 1980. My Aunt passed away in 1987 so the machine hasn't been used since then . I was cleaning it up today , but it seems to have tension issues. I oiled it well and am letting it sit over night , hoping that might help, but would love any other suggestions :lol:

It is like the tension will not adjust :? I can have it at 9 and still pull the thread as freely as if it was at 0

It has every gadget and attachment known to man with it. My camera battery died before I could get more pics :roll: Sorry

The machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81933[/ATTACH]

The case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81934[/ATTACH]

Every attachment known to man
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81935[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81928.jpe   attachment-81929.jpe   attachment-81930.jpe  
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Billy, I like your TFL at the bottom of your threads. Did you design and draw it yourself? I figured you would have since you paint hotrods and do painting on the sewing machines. Very nice.
Actually I found a thread in the Chit Chat section about Signatures. And the nice lady posted the link to go to to get your signature to use. Really neat site the thread is right here

ttp://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52762-1.htm

And I really like it myself kinda matches my avatar!!

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldhag
If I did this right ....here's a picture of my new baby. She's pretty dirty right now as she was in a back room in a collectables store.Serial # is 795939. The case is in pretty decent shape but it is missing the attachments box on the inside of the lid.
OMG I am in love!!!

Someone might get jealous of this machine but I want to be Mr. Frister and Rossman Handcrank!!!

That is a wonderful piece of history you have in your possession and be very careful when you clean the machine up. I am flabbergasted that the shuttle and bobbin is still with the machine!

You did wonderful with the purchase of a fine piece of German engineering!!!

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
Help!!! I have finished cleaning up my model 66 with the Lotus decals. The cabinet is nice and spiffy. I've put on a new treadle belt. And I can't make it work. If I move the hand wheel, the belt moves and the treadle mechanisms all seem to be doing the right thing. I try to get my feet going right along with the motion, but it isn't working. I read that putting some resin (like for a violin bow) on the belt could help improve the friction, so I will try that tomorrow. I don't know whether the problem is that I don't know how to treadle (which is true) or that the belt is too loose (I don't think it is, but maybe...) or whether it's something else entirely.
Dunster I hope this has not been answered yet because I am coming into the shop kinda late but here goes. You need to shorten your belt. It should be loose enough to not put a lot of pressure on the shaft and tight enough to not slip. I know that after I put a new belt on it takes a few times to keep trimming the belt because it will stretch after you use it for a bit. But if you go for broke and put it on to tight then you will kill the bronze bushings in the machine.

Also try turning the handwheel to get you started treadling that might help.

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Well I have lost the "knack" for uploading pics for tonight. I hope you noticed the hammer next to the "mess" I have created on my dining room table. I can't seem to get the thingy for the bobbin out because of the feed dogs in the way. Any suggestions? Billy, if this gets too frustrating can I send it to you in pieces? (with a check of course)
Old 07-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Darcene
I hope that everyone here had a great July 4th weekend....mine has be great and will continue through tomorrow with some of my children staying over....DS3 brought home the Singer 99k that I bought on an online yard sale and DS2 (not to be outdone by younger brother) surprised me with a machine he picked up at an auction....turns out to be a Singer 128...both are in electric and in cabinets....they will need a good cleaning and oiling but they are turning freely and are such cute 3/4 size machines.....now, I just need to find bobbins for the 128.....

Do any of you have either of these machines and what do I need to know about them? I've not worked with the elongated bobbin and shuttle and I could use some direction and hints on treating the machine right....

Happy dancing in rainy SW Kansas this early morning,

Darcene
Sounds like you did good over the weekend Darcene!! I dont have a 99 but its a 3/4 Singer 66 essentially. Class 66 bobbins are the ones it needs and the Machine will run smooth as silk when you get it cleaned and oiled up. Is it in a cabinet? If it is that is a REAL good thing because they are somewhat rare and when you do find them they are quite pricey. Most of the 3/4 machines like the 99 and 128 were portables.

The 128 is the one I have and its a wonderful machine but in my opinion it was meant for a treadle or handcrank. But if your machine is in a cabinet that your good. As a portable the darn thing will almost beat itself to death be cause it is a VS machine. But you will love the little thing you cant help it.

The bobbins are the long ones and you can find them at your local Hancocks or JoAnns. if you need some then let me know and I can send a few to you to keep you busy for a while! Also when you wind the bobbin you put the end of the thread under one end of the bobbin and then you follow the thread pat back to the spool pin and your off.

You can find the manuals for the machines in PDF here.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Just put in the model number and grab up the freebies!!

And if you cant find the 99 manual get the 66 manual and it will work for your machine.

Billy
Both of the machines are in their original cabinets....
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Does any one have a good source for a Singer 66 foot pedal and bobbin cover plate.

Also need a check spring for a Singer 127.
Here you go......

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raynhamquilter
Two up, 50 to go (LOL)
Okay yo get the bobbin race out you have to undo the screw that holds the piece that sits next to the race then you remove it carefully and then the race will twist out of the hole its in.

I hope thats clear as mud I will post a tute on it if needed.

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks, Billy. I will give it a try in the morning--my eyes won't work anymore tonight!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Both of the machines are in their original cabinets....
Oh you lucky girl!!! I am telling you I can not wait to come out a see you. While I am out there if you have a lottery, I want you to go get me a ticket and your picking the numbers!!

Billy