Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Is it possible to change a high shank to a low shank? Looking at the one 66 and putting it in another 66 4 yrs younger. Is it worth it or do not bother? They both work fine as far as mechanics.

Picture is off the low shank 66 1919 red eye potted. I have seen more for sale but some in cabinets for electrical machines. Sorry no better picture of the motor as DH took it off and put it on a 1953 Scottish made Singer 15K80 that had a Brithish motor that was not compatible with our electric.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79508.bmp  
Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Is it possible to change a high shank to a low shank? Looking at the one 66 and putting it in another 66 4 yrs younger. Is it worth it or do not bother? They both work fine as far as mechanics.
All 66's are low shank with the exception of a 66-1 and a 66-3 (handcrank version) Those were known as a "Backclamp" machine with the idea borrowed from the W&W acquisition.

But you can change the presser foot bar out of the machine if you want to its no big deal I have done lots of them like that.

Billy
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stefanib123
Wow, there are some NICE machines on this thread. I love, love, love old machines! I am waiting on a treadle machine to come into my life, but they are few and far between around here! I WILL own one someday, though......LOL!

I have a couple of questions for you guys:

My Mother in Law gave me an old Singer the other day, and I've searched all over online and the closest to it I can find is the 338. Its almost the exact same thing as this one I've attached to this post.

BUT, it doesn't have "Needle Position" switch and the settings only have the numbers, not the names of them, such as "stitch length" etc. The writing on mine is in white also. And the metal panel that's on this one is like a an epoxy or acrylic, plastic like plate on mine.

Are there different models of this machine? The threading diagram for that one works with mine. I love the color of this machine, I love the colors from this era. If it never worked, I'd still keep it just to look at, LOL!

Another question:

I picked up an old White 944 at a yard sale for $5. I love that machine! It sews like a dream. I'm actually quilting on it!

I can't find hardly anything about it online, either. I'd love to find out when it was made, etc.
Welcome to the shop!! Sounds like you are getting into the vintage machines to me!!! And trust me the machines will start following you home before you know it.

I have no information on the White sewing machines other than the were being badged by Jaguar/Marzuen in the late 60's and the 70's. The same company that badged the Kenmore sewing machines. But you did get an incredible deal on the machine!!!

Billy
Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Can treadles have a reverse? Is it a big deal if yours doesn't? At this point I am more looking at piecing on it then quilting. Would adding a hand cranck help? Have a 1914 66 Red Eye on a treadle. Still high shank.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

Can treadles have a reverse? Is it a big deal if yours doesn't? At this point I am more looking at piecing on it then quilting. Would adding a hand cranck help? Have a 1914 66 Red Eye on a treadle. Still high shank.
All Singer sewing machines from that era were low shank The only one that was different were the Backclamp 66-1 and 66-3.

The later 66's had a back tack feature but I piece and quilt on a 66-1 Red Eye and never had a problem. If you want to tack your stitches you just stop lift the presserfoot and go back to your starting point and stitch over it never cutting the thread. Works great for me.

I think keeping it a treadle would be really helpful if your going to use it for quilting and it is a lot easier to use that way.

Billy
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
All Singer sewing machines from that era were low shank The only one that was different were the Backclamp 66-1 and 66-3.

The later 66's had a back tack feature but I piece and quilt on a 66-1 Red Eye and never had a problem. If you want to tack your stitches you just stop lift the presserfoot and go back to your starting point and stitch over it never cutting the thread. Works great for me.

I think keeping it a treadle would be really helpful if your going to use it for quilting and it is a lot easier to use that way.

Billy
Oh yes definately keeping it in a treadle! That was the whole idea. So right now the red eye 66 1914 is in the treadle and DH converted it to the low shank. He is wondering about dropping the feed dogs which we understand is not possible. Should he take the feed dogs out or should we try and use the template plastic to cover it up. Is there a fitted cover plate (after market product) we can buy for it? Ooooooohhhhh I am getting so ready to take red eye treadle for a test drive.

Thanks for all the help and input. Anna
Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Where do you all sew? The treadle is coming close to needing to be moved fromt he garage into the house. I have a studio upstairs (very big and nice) but I like being around my children too. So downstairs or upstairs is the decission for me. My youngest two are 4 1/2 yrs old so I am not sure if they would not all together mess too much with the treadle. Maybe that is OK? (quilters in training) I just have bad memories of my fingers and my grand mother's Pfaff treadle.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Billy, this is Bas, the DH from Anna. I have a couple more questions for you:

1. I cleaned the red-eye 66 with liquid-wrench; it did a great job, but what oil do you use after the cleaning? Just a 3-in-1?

2. On the Scottish machine 15K80 from 1953 i put the potted motor from the old 66, but i need a reverse for the 15K80 and i need to change wiring on the motor. Is it possible to put a switch in the wiring so we can "make" a reverse on the 15K80? Where would you go for the wiring?

3. What was the orriginal finish on the oak treadle cabinets?

4. Can i combine handcrank and treadle on a 66? Or handcrank and motor on the 15-91 after chanching out the fly-wheel?

Thanks Billy for helping out.
Bas.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Hi Billy, did you get a chance to look at the pics I posted of my Diamond and the Red Eye? I figured out how to look the number up on the singer and find out the year but I don't have a clue as to what the models are or how to tell and I'd really like to learn (one less person buggin you for help). Thanks AGAIN
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Hi Billy, did you get a chance to look at the pics I posted of my Diamond and the Red Eye? I figured out how to look the number up on the singer and find out the year but I don't have a clue as to what the models are or how to tell and I'd really like to learn (one less person buggin you for help). Thanks AGAIN
Weedwoman,

I can help you with the Singer information...when you are reading the tables on the Singer site the first column indicates the letter code (1 or 2 letters-or possibly none based on the age of the machine), the second and third columns are the registry numbers (6 to 7 numerals), the fourth column is the machine class (model number), the fifth column is the quantity of the model number allotted to that particular production run, the sixth column is the initial day of allotment, the seventh column is the year of the production run, and the final column may or may not contain production notes...

for example:

[EK-] [017826 067825] [99K] [50000] [December 6] [1954]

The example machine has a serial number of EK017826, it is a model 99k, it is one of a production run of 50,000; it was allotted on Dec.6, 1954. The allotment date is not an absolute date of production but it gets us pretty close to a birthday for these wonderful machines....

I will do some research and see what I can find out about the Diamond....that is one beautiful machine....

Quilting in Pratt, KS---when I can make myself get off of the computer---

Darcene