Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-24-2011, 04:00 AM

Can anyone tell me how I might remove rust from the metal portions of this singer...This was my Grandmother's and stored in damp basement for yrs...She works and body in great condition.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188331.jpe  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM

[quote=vintagemotif]Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. [quote]

Monica what year is your 328K?

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have been amazed too at how those old Singer 66s can just sew through layers of jean material with no problems.
All the really old machines can sew through those flat felt seams with no problem! I have use my Wheeler & Wilson's and my 127 with no problems at all!

Yesterday, I finished some Easter projects, little wall hangings with my Betty, Davis Vertical Feed. Love to put my bindings on with that machine! Now hubby and I have to get her cabinet re-done. The veneer is all coming off and bubbled -- that is the only machine in the house with a really bad cabinet! Monica, I am so glad you pointed me in the direction of that machine -- love it!

I wanted to tell you guys I found a problem with the Ritz class 66 bobbins I got from Wal Mart. They work fine in the 66 and 99, but you can not wind them. They won't fit on the bobbin winder post. I guess, I haven't tried to wind one of those bobbins before! So, back to finding vintage bobbins, or maybe these are just a bad batch? Anyway else tried to wind one of the 66's from Wal Mart on a vintage machine?

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I have been amazed too at how those old Singer 66s can just sew through layers of jean material with no problems.
All the really old machines can sew through those flat felt seams with no problem! I have use my Wheeler & Wilson's and my 127 with no problems at all!

Yesterday, I finished some Easter projects, little wall hangings with my Betty, Davis Vertical Feed. Love to put my bindings on with that machine! Now hubby and I have to get her cabinet re-done. The veneer is all coming off and bubbled -- that is the only machine in the house with a really bad cabinet! Monica, I am so glad you pointed me in the direction of that machine -- love it!

I wanted to tell you guys I found a problem with the Ritz class 66 bobbins I got from Wal Mart. They work fine in the 66 and 99, but you can not wind them. They won't fit on the bobbin winder post. I guess, I haven't tried to wind one of those bobbins before! So, back to finding vintage bobbins, or maybe these are just a bad batch? Anyway else tried to wind one of the 66's from Wal Mart on a vintage machine?

Nancy
I just bought the Metal Class 66 Singer's at Joann's and they wouldn't wind on my machine either...hold to small but I was able to wind them on my 301. I'm wondering if I should buy a bobbin winder and if they would wind on one of those?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Mine is a Singer 237 zig zag and treadles beautifully, I sew the
treadle belt together with waxed dental floss.
Sharon

I like your dental floss technique. I used it on my 201 and that is my quietest treadle/machine that I own. From here on out, I will be using dental floss.
Sharon and Monica, what do you use to get the dental floss sewn on? A large needle? I haven't tried the dental floss, but sometimes when treadling my belt slips - acts like it is stuck - I wonder if the dental floss will fix that issue?

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
I just bought the Metal Class 66 Singer's at Joann's and they wouldn't wind on my machine either...hold to small but I was able to wind them on my 301. I'm wondering if I should buy a bobbin winder and if they would wind on one of those?
Well, that's two for two, mine were not Singer bobbins, but Ritz brand - interesting. I think, I will just stick with vintage bobbins.

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Mpeters1200,
For machine quilting I've found that the Singer 15-90,91 are better for quilting; especially free motion quilting. I have a Singer 201 and 66, I don't have much luck free motion quilting with either, the 15-90 is wonderful for that. I have done straight line quilting with the 201 and it did a great job.
Sharon W.
Don't forget about the 15-88, which is a treadle to begin with! That is my FM quilting machine when I am home! To take to class I will use my new Morse 15 clone! I do my straight line piecing with my Free treadle.

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Judy I need a bobbin plate for me blackside. Is there any chance that you may have an extra one to sell? Kathie
Kathie, your blackside is beautiful. Those slide plates are really hard to come by, maybe someone has one, but you will probably just need to really watch e-bay. Maybe Billy has one? Anyway, those blackside plates are pretty rare.

Did you get your 27 working?
Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
But she said it's a Lotus, so it's what the ISMACS site calls "Egyptian" and says was made only to 1906. Obviously, not... ISMACS may need to be updated.
Sewbizgirl, I am not so sure that ISMACS does need to be updated or that they are referring to the Lotus as the Egyptian. The Sphinx is usually the one referred to as the Egyptian. The 'scroll' that ISMACS is referring to is a broad term because the one we call the Redeye is not listed and that was the most popular decal for the 66. I would guess (just a guess) that ISMACS lumped the Lotus and Redeye under scroll. Anyway, the only machine they really broke down in years was the Egyptian, which is probably the Sphinx. The 66 with a Sphinx is really rare as they were only made very early on in the 66.

Nancy

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Take a look at the cool colors of this vintage Brother machine. Please tell me I'm not the only one who can just see a whole room decorated in those colors with the machine being the focal point. LOL

http://fresno.craigslist.org/hsh/2341372738.html
The shop I bought my 66 at currently has a similar one. It's pink and chocolate too, but the colors seem backwards. It's more pink than anything else. He's got it quite shiny. I'll try to remember to ask him what kind of machine it is. I thought he said a kenmore, but I can't remember.