Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by BoJangles

Here is what I have found.

66-1 Egyptian 1902 -06 Scroll 1906 - 23 back clamping treadle
66-3 HC Back clamping
66-4, 1923- side clamping treadle
66-5 side clamping HC
66-6 1921-31 side clamping electric
66-8 side clamping
66-13 side clamping 1920 +
66-14 side clamping with reverse
66-14 thru 66-24 reverse and side clamping

66 was made between 1902 and 1956

This is what I found out when I was doing all the research on side clamping versus back clamping 66's.

Nancy
This is where I got this information.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html
My Egyptian Lotus 66-1 (back clamping) was made in 1908, according to the serial number listed on Singer's website. It also shows other runs of 66's in 1908, but I have no idea if they are 66-1's or not... probably so. So there's an error somewhere: Either the ISMACS site or Singer's records.
I have two Lotus 66-1 with back clamps; one 1907 and the other 1914. Taken from the Singer site.
The ISMACS site is wrong with the information on the 66, some of it is right but this information is old and out of date.

Billy
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Glen, we changed a 128 into a hand crank and it works great. It's also a black side.
Nice machine you have.
Crossstiticher, thanks for the info. I think I will turn it into a HC or use it in treadle. I am so used to using treadles that I do not like electric machines any more but people keep giving them to me. I will clean it and see how well she sews. Glenn
Now your getting like me!!

Billy
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

Oh I see you found out about the 66 and the bobbins..... :mrgreen:

Some Model 66's are finicky about what bobbin you use on it and only a Singer brand will work on them. I have at least 5 cases of bobbins that are Singer brand just for that reason. But the way to tell is the bobbin winder, if it will not wind it worth a hoot then it will not like the bobbins.

Billy
Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 AM

1I wanted to tell you guys I found a problem with the Ritz class 66 bobbins I got from Wal Mart. They work fine in the 66 and 99, but you can not wind them. They won't fit on the bobbin winder post. I guess, I haven't tried to wind one of those bobbins before! So, back to finding vintage bobbins, or maybe these are just a bad batch? Anyway else tried to wind one of the 66's from Wal Mart on a vintage machine?

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy I have not tried to wind my bobbins on the 99 nor the 66 machine yet. I just used my Janome to wind them. Try a different machine. Kathie
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM

The guy I'm getting my singer from insists that only vintage round bobbins will work on my machine. I was googling online and found on ebay bobbins that are described to work on 66's and 99's. I own a sidewinder. Should I try these other bobbins or just go with the ones that are coming with the machine. He said he could give me 4 with the machine.

Do you guys think the ones on eBay are worth it?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
The guy I'm getting my singer from insists that only vintage round bobbins will work on my machine. I was googling online and found on ebay bobbins that are described to work on 66's and 99's. I own a sidewinder. Should I try these other bobbins or just go with the ones that are coming with the machine. He said he could give me 4 with the machine.

I can use them to sew with but not to wind on my 66's
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM

Hi Billy and Happy Easter to all. I finally checked on my stowaway and researched the model and year and it's a Singer 15 born on January 23, 1905. It's over a 100 yrs old. you mentioned that there is a screw to lower the feed dogs on the 15"s . Would that include one that is that old? the machine moves well manually but the wiring is rather dry --I"m leery of plugging it in to see. One of these days I'll clean her up. Anne
Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Nope just PM me and I can fix you up on the Genuine Singer Bobbins.

Billy
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I wanted to tell you guys I found a problem with the Ritz class 66 bobbins I got from Wal Mart. They work fine in the 66 and 99, but you can not wind them. They won't fit on the bobbin winder post. I guess, I haven't tried to wind one of those bobbins before! So, back to finding vintage bobbins, or maybe these are just a bad batch? Anyway else tried to wind one of the 66's from Wal Mart on a vintage machine?

Nancy
I just bought the Metal Class 66 Singer's at Joann's and they wouldn't wind on my machine either...hold to small but I was able to wind them on my 301. I'm wondering if I should buy a bobbin winder and if they would wind on one of those?[/quote]

I bought a pack at Walmart a couple weeks ago before I realized they were not what my 301 takes. When I recently got the 192K and the 66 they both had a few bobbins. The 66 has some old vintage bobbins with it. They work fine but are rusty and old and I don't really want to use them. I had a large bobbin box full of mixed ones from the 192K, and some I had AND the new pack I just bought. I've tried them all on the bobbin winder and they all fit fine. I've filled a couple on each of the 2 machines. So I'm not seeing a problem with the pack I bought. I'm not even sure now which ones they were. But I've placed all the bobbins on the winder and they fit.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Watchon ebay, as well. I bought a lot of 25 that wlll not sew on my FW's. I bought some that were n the original packaging and they work greatl Also, a bout the side winder. It winds them, the prob I have is that I buy my thread on the big spools and the sidewnder wll not handle them on ther own. I put a pencil through thge hole and use that to wind off of. Its tricky, but t works.