Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I dated my Spartan and it says December 11, 1959. Ok, then site says for model 99K-185K-192K. What's up with that? How do I find out which one I might have?
192 is Spartan, 185 is green.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I dated my Spartan and it says December 11, 1959. Ok, then site says for model 99K-185K-192K. What's up with that? How do I find out which one I might have?
192 is Spartan, 185 is green.
Thanks Miz Johnny
Old 04-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by greenini

I have tried to look for vintage machines by doing periodic searches, but it always seems to take so much time and then I get no results. How do you do it. I've been putting sewing machine in, figuring that would catch folks who don't know what they have, which is what I'm looking for. I'd like a workhorse old Singer to FMQ to keep my battered FW company, but can't afford to spend tons of money.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
IN return here are some of my FW attachments for your viewing pleasure :lol:
Love the education on the attachments. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 PM

I have tried to look for vintage machines by doing periodic searches, but it always seems to take so much time and then I get no results. How do you do it. I've been putting sewing machine in, figuring that would catch folks who don't know what they have, which is what I'm looking for. I'd like a workhorse old Singer to FMQ to keep my battered FW company, but can't afford to spend tons of money.
You know, I have found most of my machines at yard sales, flea markets, and estate sales. The 15 clone I just posted a few days ago is a work horse and I got it for $20 at a yard sale.

Nancy
Old 04-14-2011, 06:15 PM

You know, I have found most of my machines at yard sales, flea markets, and estate sales. The 15 clone I just posted a few days ago is a work horse and I got it for $20 at a yard sale.

Nancy[/quote]

But do you search for sewing machines in advance or just check out all yard sales? We have friends that spend a lot of time looking at ads, setting a route up in their GPS, I just don't have quite that much energy! If I see yard sales around here close by I try to stop in, but I'm bad about pre-planning. I wonder how much I miss :roll:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Garage saling today brought these pretties. I don't know how they could get any more chrome on the Dressmaker, lol. Paid $10 each. Very seldom do I get one with cams.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]184416[/ATTACH]

Singer Merritt 2404
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184417[/ATTACH]

Dressmaker model 555
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184418[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184410.jpe   attachment-184411.jpe   attachment-184412.jpe  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM

[quote=BoJangles]

Any suggestions? Thanks.
IN return here are some of my FW attachments for your viewing pleasure :lol:
When searching Craigslist, I just put "sewing" and that gets me more results. I also look in the online classifieds for estate sales that say they have sm's. Yard sales are great places, especially if you go early the first day and they frequently post on CL as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Garage saling today brought these pretties. I don't know how they could get any more chrome on the Dressmaker, lol. Paid $10 each. Very seldom do I get one with cams.

Wonderful garage sale finds! I have a question, on the Dressmaker with the cams, are the insides of the machine metal parts? Can the cams break?

Thanks as I'm new to the vintage machines and still learning. I've not seen much about some of these machines.

Pam M
Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Does anyone here have a sears kenmore 158? I know it is not vintage but I am wondering if you think it is worth it to buy a new tension knob for $19.99 &shipping. Any thoughts?
If I remember correctly, the 158 is a factory designation. If the machine is in good condition otherwise, and you like it, go ahead and buy the tension. There are lots of good old Kenmores around just sewin and sewin.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Originally Posted by tomilu

Wonderful garage sale finds! I have a question, on the Dressmaker with the cams, are the insides of the machine metal parts? Can the cams break?

Thanks as I'm new to the vintage machines and still learning. I've not seen much about some of these machines.

Pam M
The gears on all these machines are metal, but those cams are plastic and as such, could be broken. It's ok to ask questions; we all learn everyday.