Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Billy, I found your tut about cleaning up a machine, but itsays part 2. Was there a tut prior to that? How about geting an old machine out of it's treadle cabinet and taking it apart? Yikes!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
The 185J may be small and cute, but they're every bit as heavy as a 99.
What a great way for sewers to keep those flabby arms toned, Miz Johnny! :mrgreen:
If that were the case, my arms would look like a wrestler's. Nope, they're still flabby. (BatWing Granny!)
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by MarieM
I just got a call from our local thrift store owner and she has a Necchi Alco, that was all she knew. I can't get there today and she is closed Sunday and Monday so I'll have to check it out on Tuesday. Do any of you have an experience w/the Alco model? What about price? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie M.
A friend of mine was cleaning out her parents house, after her dad passed away, and came across her mother's SM which is the Necchi Alco. I did a little research for her and it almost sounds as if the Alco was a lower budget machine. Some of the Necchi models are really popular and go for high prices so maybe you will be able to get a good price for the one at the thrift shop. I love it that your thrift shop notifies you when a machine comes in :-D
Cathy,
Thanks for the info. I'm interested to see how it sews. I'm going to take my oil, thread, fabric, canned air and new needles to give it a try. We'll see. If it comes home w/me I'll post pictures.

Marie M.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM

I just carried the 29 pound 128 across the LR now my neck hurts.

Miss No name Leader is in the house. My weight lifter grandson wrapped his arms around the cabinet and carried her in easily. She is very dirty as is the 128. I have my work curt out for me when the weather breaks. She is a cutie. I copied the book so I'm not trashing it as I learn what I need to know. The seller has Singer attachments in with the Leader, so I have a ruffler for both machines. Woohoo! Here we go:

The cabinet. Irons very stiff
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175928[/ATTACH]

My dirty girls. The singer is a 3/4 size machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175930[/ATTACH]

Miss No Name Leader. The bed decal is a Sphinx.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175932[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175922.jpe   attachment-175924.jpe   attachment-175926.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Nice looking machines. I have a copper badge on my 99 and hubby took my copper cleaner from my pots and pans and now the badge looks brand new. Kathie
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Billy
Yep, it is a Barbie Pink and I did it for one of our members 8yo daughters Christmas present. From what I hear she loves it!!

I have another 185K like it that I am going to repaint and sell but I am wondering what color to shoot it.

Billy[/quote]

Not pink!! Pepto bismol always made me throw up as a kid!

How about a deep teal or aquamarine?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Hubby used a small suitcase key and it unlocked the lid on my cabinet. Question on my 99 please. I do not have a manuel and could not get it to print out on the Singer site. Do I thread the needle left to right? There is a small hole in the take up leaver. Do I thread the thread through that? Kathie S.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Hubby used a small suitcase key and it unlocked the lid on my cabinet. Question on my 99 please. I do not have a manuel and could not get it to print out on the Singer site. Do I thread the needle left to right? There is a small hole in the take up leaver. Do I thread the thread through that? Kathie S.
Here's a link to show you how to thread your 99.
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
. . . Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J.
Yes they are cute and fun to repaint, but they weigh a ton!!

Billy
Did you paint this one, Billy? That shade of pink reminds me of Pepto Bismol :mrgreen: but it did come out really nice. I have a 185 and they do weight a TON :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yep, it is a Barbie Pink and I did it for one of our members 8yo daughters Christmas present. From what I hear she loves it!!

I have another 185K like it that I am going to repaint and sell but I am wondering what color to shoot it.

Billy
I vote for lemon yellow!!
Yes! Like lemon meringue pie!! Lime green would be nice, too. I like the way you kept the two tones just like the original colors.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Miss No name Leader is in the house.
Wow, it's beautiful!! It looks so small next to the Singer.