Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Welcome to the shop Weedwoman! LOL. My husband and I were just talking about the dining room table...or as he stated, "the morphed sewing table". I have a sewing room but for some reason the sewing machine always ends up in the dining room : ) Close to the kitchen, laundry, and the TV.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 PM

[quote=Howard]
Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
welcome weedwoman from new hampshire. glad you are here.
looking forward to seeing your pics. I feel deprived I only have 2 old and 1 new machine. no LA and no shop. I sew on the dining rom table and have only a closet for all my quilting stuff. I am jealous.
Don't feel bad, I don't even have the dining room table anymore since we downsized to a ranch . No dining room anymore. I'm jealous! But I have lots and lots of other good stuff to be thankful for.

We downsized too but i am thankful for my home, husband, DD, loved neices. and great neices and great nephews. proud of my title. great aunt jacqui or GAJ
Old 07-04-2010, 09:59 PM

I hope that everyone here had a great July 4th weekend....mine has be great and will continue through tomorrow with some of my children staying over....DS3 brought home the Singer 99k that I bought on an online yard sale and DS2 (not to be outdone by younger brother) surprised me with a machine he picked up at an auction....turns out to be a Singer 128...both are in electric and in cabinets....they will need a good cleaning and oiling but they are turning freely and are such cute 3/4 size machines.....now, I just need to find bobbins for the 128.....

Do any of you have either of these machines and what do I need to know about them? I've not worked with the elongated bobbin and shuttle and I could use some direction and hints on treating the machine right....

Happy dancing in rainy SW Kansas this early morning,

Darcene
Old 07-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
WELCOME WEEDWOMAN! You have earned a prize and when Billy shows up again I am sure he will hand it out to you.

TWO HUNDRED FIVE PAGES!

I can't even imagine. I should have asked you to take notes for references on what is on what page. Maybe next time.... ha ha ha ha ha

I have several machines that you have. Can't wait until you post photos of your babies.

Welcome to the shop.
I'll try to get pics and numbers taken soon. I so love looking at everyone's machines.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene
I hope that everyone here had a great July 4th weekend....mine has be great and will continue through tomorrow with some of my children staying over....DS3 brought home the Singer 99k that I bought on an online yard sale and DS2 (not to be outdone by younger brother) surprised me with a machine he picked up at an auction....turns out to be a Singer 128...both are in electric and in cabinets....they will need a good cleaning and oiling but they are turning freely and are such cute 3/4 size machines.....now, I just need to find bobbins for the 128.....

Do any of you have either of these machines and what do I need to know about them? I've not worked with the elongated bobbin and shuttle and I could use some direction and hints on treating the machine right....

Darcene
We are happy dancing to rain in SE Kansas also, we needed it.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene

Darcene
Sounds like you did good over the weekend Darcene!! I dont have a 99 but its a 3/4 Singer 66 essentially. Class 66 bobbins are the ones it needs and the Machine will run smooth as silk when you get it cleaned and oiled up. Is it in a cabinet? If it is that is a REAL good thing because they are somewhat rare and when you do find them they are quite pricey. Most of the 3/4 machines like the 99 and 128 were portables.

The 128 is the one I have and its a wonderful machine but in my opinion it was meant for a treadle or handcrank. But if your machine is in a cabinet that your good. As a portable the darn thing will almost beat itself to death be cause it is a VS machine. But you will love the little thing you cant help it.

The bobbins are the long ones and you can find them at your local Hancocks or JoAnns. if you need some then let me know and I can send a few to you to keep you busy for a while! Also when you wind the bobbin you put the end of the thread under one end of the bobbin and then you follow the thread pat back to the spool pin and your off.

You can find the manuals for the machines in PDF here.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Just put in the model number and grab up the freebies!!

And if you cant find the 99 manual get the 66 manual and it will work for your machine.

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SherriB
I have a question about a knee lever (I think) that came with my 500A. If it is a lever control, how do I use it? This picture also shows what feet came with it. And all of the cams are there also.
The kneebar should fit under the machines cabinet and fasten to a bracket. The kneebar will push against the pedal assembly that is snapped in a bracket under the cabinet.

I really love that you have almost all of the accessories that came with the machine!!! I am still trying to find the box of cams for mine.

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Howard
I have 2 old machines I would like to donate to someone. A Singer converted to electric and a Kenmore in a nice walnut table . Don't know much about it. I'm sure it needs and overhaul . How do I go about offering it ?
You just did!!!

But if you go to the for sale/trade section of the forum and post there they will be gone in a jiffy!!!

Billy
Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
welcome weedwoman from new hampshire. glad you are here.
looking forward to seeing your pics. I feel deprived I only have 2 old and 1 new machine. no LA and no shop. I sew on the dining rom table and have only a closet for all my quilting stuff. I am jealous.
I used to sew on my dining room table as well but as the kids grew up and left home I turned their rooms into something different than bedrooms. One is now my sewing room in the house (shop is out back) and the other is for my Mickey Mouse collection and some of my vintage machines. We bought a sofa bed to accomodate sleep over guests. I figure why tie up rooms with big beds that don't get used that often when I can fill them up with sewing machines. lol
Old 07-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

Now your talking WeedWoman!!

Just start looking around the house for useless furniture and start tossing them and placing a sewing machine in its spot!!

Billy