Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I've got one of those plastic ones, and you are right, I have never been able to get a decent stitch from it. I was left it in a will, and was thrilled when I thought I was going to get a vintage FW, so imagine my disappointment to get this plastic thing. I haven't even looked at it for years.
Yeah they are kinda like when you look at your paycheck at the end of the week...."Is this all I get?"
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I have a question about a knee lever (I think) that came with my 500A. If it is a lever control, how do I use it? This picture also shows what feet came with it. And all of the cams are there also.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82657.jpe   attachment-82658.jpe   attachment-82659.jpe  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks guys, thats what i was afraid of. I decided against it.
I appreciate your help.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello everyone!!!

I just want to say that since I have become a member in this community I have felt very welcome and honored to be able to get to know you all and I have met some really wonderful people and have made quite a few friends!!

Everyone here by now knows that I love old machines especially treadles and somehow you guys find me the go to guy for answers to you questions.

Every day I hop on to see what is going on and I have tons of PM's in my folder waiting on me to help out with your vintage machines. I am NOT complaining a drop, believe me I really appreciate the fact that you respect me enough to want to ask your questions and I REALLY enjoy helping you all out. Plus I get to see some really neat machines that you guys own!!!! ;)

Now I am far from an expert by no means, but you know I will do everything I can to find the answers for you or point you to someone who does know the answers. I have tons of records, manuals and parts list stored on my HD plus the stacks of factory documents sitting in front of me that could help a lot of us out with our machines.

SO...........I am going to do a PDA just for asking questions, posting photos and just a nice place to hang out, but if it really takes off who knows the administrator might set up a corner just for the vintage machines.

But I was thinking that if we had a special area to go to ask questions and post photos it might would help some else that may have the same question. To me there is nothing more special that to make a quilt on a vintage machine.

So if you like Vintage machines and you want to come to the shop and hang out with us then feel free to do so!!!

Billy
I have 2 old machines I would like to donate to someone. A Singer converted to electric and a Kenmore in a nice walnut table . Don't know much about it. I'm sure it needs and overhaul . How do I go about offering it ?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:40 PM

I just joined this group a few days ago and decided to start from page one and read it all and look at all the pictures and check out most of the sites listed. I spent today reading the last 75 pages and I totally enjoyed every single page, pic, advice, and anything else that was here. I must admit I'm about cross-eyed and sitting a pool of my own drool (such wonderful old machines) but it was worth it.
I started my 'collecting' because one of my fondest childhood memories was sitting and watching my mother sew on her Singer Red Eye that had be motorized but she would let me work the treadle sometimes anyway. I have mashed my toes so many times under that thing but I went right back and did it again. I'm so hoping to inherit that very machine at some point.
At this time I have 3 black Feather Weights, a Singer hand Crank, a Sewmore (I know nothing about it), a Majestic, a Singer 99K, a Spartan, an old Montgomery Ward (so ugly I just had to have it) I think I saw a picture of one on one of the earlier pages, mine is black. I also have a Necchi that I bought new in the late 60's. My daughter found a sewing machine at a garage sale and bought it for a whopping $2.00. She said "Mom, I got you a sewing machine at a garage sale, it's black and says Singer" That was all she told me so when I finally made the trip to get it, lo and behold, it was a 301, black with the longer flip down bed, in beautiful condition. Purrs like a kitten. I also just got a Singer Red Eye that I'm looking for a cabinet for cause I want a treadle. My husband is wonderful at taking them apart and doing a complete cleaning and polishing. The red eye was pretty nasty and now she's gorgeous and that wheel turn so smooth and the needle goes up and down like it was new. I also have a Singer Touch & Sew out in my quilting shop. I absolute love that old machine but need the 3 pieces that allow chain stitching on it. I also have a new computerized Brother that I do most of my sewing on at this time (why, I don't know). And I have a long arm in my shop but I still can't pass up an old machine that needs a home. When I see one that's been mistreated it's makes me mad enough to smoke a pickle but what can you do? It sounds like there are many of us out there that are doing our best to save as many as we can.
Thanks again for so much enjoyment with all these entries. I'll be reading new ones every day now. Better than a new novel to sit down and read.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Weedwoman, welcome. You deserve an achievement award for reading all of those pages. This is a wonderful source of great people and great information. I learn something new everyday.

Nancy O.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Weedwoman - welcome to the group.

I have recently been given two old White Rotary machines, from different sources. They're both in dismal condition, and the cabinets were absolute trash, except that the treadle mechanism in one of them might - maybe - somehow - be useful to someone, someday. The motorized machine also came with a box full of Greist attachments, so that is interesting. My question is, when a machine that is not at all rare looks as bad as this, and is this rusty, do you go through the whole restoration process, or do you just clean it up on the outside as well as you can and let it sit around looking pretty (or if not pretty, then at least better)?

BTW, I think the motor is toast. That machine was inadvertently (?) left out in the rain, which is why its cabinet was completely ruined.

motorized White
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82519[/ATTACH]

other side of motorized White
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82520[/ATTACH]

treadle White
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82521[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82514.jpe   attachment-82515.jpe   attachment-82516.jpe  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:03 PM

WELCOME WEEDWOMAN! You have earned a prize and when Billy shows up again I am sure he will hand it out to you.

TWO HUNDRED FIVE PAGES!

I can't even imagine. I should have asked you to take notes for references on what is on what page. Maybe next time.... ha ha ha ha ha

I have several machines that you have. Can't wait until you post photos of your babies.

Welcome to the shop.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 PM

welcome weedwoman from new hampshire. glad you are here.
looking forward to seeing your pics. I feel deprived I only have 2 old and 1 new machine. no LA and no shop. I sew on the dining rom table and have only a closet for all my quilting stuff. I am jealous.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
welcome weedwoman from new hampshire. glad you are here.
looking forward to seeing your pics. I feel deprived I only have 2 old and 1 new machine. no LA and no shop. I sew on the dining rom table and have only a closet for all my quilting stuff. I am jealous.
Don't feel bad, I don't even have the dining room table anymore since we downsized to a ranch . No dining room anymore. I'm jealous! But I have lots and lots of other good stuff to be thankful for. Wonderful husband of .,55years, two children, 4 grands and 3great grands. How great is that. Almost forget, Bunny my 4 year old furbaby!