Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 PM

I have a dilemna...I was trying to replace the light bulb in my 221. The glsss part came out..entact...but the metal end piece is still in the light fixture.

Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Thanks in advance,
Kat B
Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Icandothat
What is the difference between a Singer 500 and a 500A? Is one more sought after than the other? If the answers to these questions are somewhere in this thread, I apologize....It was a little overwhelming to think about re-reading all 200+ pages.
They are the same machines

Billy
Old 07-03-2010, 09:05 PM

The A stands for Anderson, SC, which is where it was manufactured. If it just a 500, it was manufactured elsewhere. That is the difference. Just read that on line earlier today.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kat B
I have a dilemna...I was trying to replace the light bulb in my 221. The glsss part came out..entact...but the metal end piece is still in the light fixture.

Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Thanks in advance,
Kat B
Take a pair of needle nose pliers and youll have to twist it out. It will either screw out or it will push in and twist an 1/8th turn and pull out.

Billy
Old 07-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by girardgirl61
The A stands for Anderson, SC, which is where it was manufactured. If it just a 500, it was manufactured elsewhere. That is the difference. Just read that on line earlier today.
Oh and yeah what she said!! :lol: :lol: :lol: But they are the exact same machine.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

billy i found a featherweight model 104 today, what can you tell me about it . is it worth 40 dollars
Featherweights are model 221, or 222 (the freearm version). Lots of folks take liberties by calling other models featherweights, but they're not. I haven't heard of the model 104. Do you have a picture of it?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:19 AM

My great aunt gave me her white rotary machine. Model 77 serial # 149123. It is in pristene condition.

My question is can I use modern day sewing machine oil on it?

I will be taking pics and posting sometime this morning.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
billy i found a featherweight model 104 today, what can you tell me about it . is it worth 40 dollars
Featherweights are model 221, or 222 (the freearm version). Lots of folks take liberties by calling other models featherweights, but they're not. I haven't heard of the model 104. Do you have a picture of it?
I missed this post somehow, and thank you Dunster for bringing it up to the top again. :thumbup:

The 104 is the plastic "new" version Featherweight which is far from vintage and I have never heard anything good about them. They just retrofitted a name like Chrysler did with the Charger and it just isnt the same car as it was in the late 60's and early 70's.

Billy
Old 07-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I've got one of those plastic ones, and you are right, I have never been able to get a decent stitch from it. I was left it in a will, and was thrilled when I thought I was going to get a vintage FW, so imagine my disappointment to get this plastic thing. I haven't even looked at it for years.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by dunster
I missed this post somehow, and thank you Dunster for bringing it up to the top again. :thumbup:

The 104 is the plastic "new" version Featherweight which is far from vintage and I have never heard anything good about them. They just retrofitted a name like Chrysler did with the Charger and it just isnt the same car as it was in the late 60's and early 70's.

Billy
Thanks for the information, Billy. Lacelady - how disappointing!