Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Well, Deara, you two bought it, WOW! Looks terrific. Having fun on your vacation? :-D :-D :-D :-D[/quote]

We are having a most blessed vacation. Up early and out the door, looking for more additions to our machine family.
Still need to take pics of the auction purchase from Saturday.

We are heading to a flea market in the early AM. Leaving here around O'Dark/thirty for more neat finds.

Blessings to you dear Linda.
Sandi
Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by mlaceruby
Also this machine i on CL here.
the man won't give a price is taking offers and seems angry that the best offer he has had is $100
should I offer him more??
I think this is early 1880's???
Note the square corners on the machine bed. New Home revised their Model A sometime in the 1880's to have a more rounded bed, so this one is from somewhere in the 1870's to 1880's. The pictures aren't great, and it's hard to tell about the condition of the decals. The bed decal on these machines are sometimes very pretty; the one I have (in a parlor cabinet) has a house and garden.

Many people think that just because something is old, it's worth a lot of money. We all know better!!
That is what I was looking at( the square corners)
but he won't let me come see it in person unless I offer more that $100. Then said he doesn't have it but another woman does and she has been taking offers for a week!
the whole story sounds rather off!
So will let this one go!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

That is what I was looking at( the square corners)but he won't let me come see it in person unless I offer more that $100. Then said he doesn't have it but another woman does and she has been taking offers for a week!
So will let this one go!
Sounds like a scam to me. She is probably wanting $100 or best offer and he is trying to milk it for a finders fee. Id like to punch him in the mouth for that. If he will not let you talk to her directly then forget about it. It will be listed for next to nothing before long.

I bout a Red Eye in a treadle one time like that. The seller was wanting $900 for it and I contacted him and told him when he felt like selling it I would pay fair market value for the machine. He asked what it was and I told him $30 because almost all of the decals were gone and the cabinet was trashed but fixable.

He acted all insulted but 6 months later I got an email from him and I picked it up for $20.

Billy
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Also this machine i on CL here.
the man won't give a price is taking offers and seems angry that the best offer he has had is $100
should I offer him more??
I think this is early 1880's???
Note the square corners on the machine bed. New Home revised their Model A sometime in the 1880's to have a more rounded bed, so this one is from somewhere in the 1870's to 1880's. The pictures aren't great, and it's hard to tell about the condition of the decals. The bed decal on these machines are sometimes very pretty; the one I have (in a parlor cabinet) has a house and garden.

Many people think that just because something is old, it's worth a lot of money. We all know better!!
That is what I was looking at( the square corners)
but he won't let me come see it in person unless I offer more that $100. Then said he doesn't have it but another woman does and she has been taking offers for a week!
So will let this one go!
How can you offer a certain amount for something that you haven't seen in person yet?? That's crazy and he sounds like an ass. I agree it's very fishy and it's simply not worth it if you have to deal with someone like him. Smart to let it go. There are too many machines on the market and like Billy said, when he sees no one is buying he'll learn fast.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM

I was looking at a Singer 99 today. The machine was nice but the box was trashed. It was listed for $65 but she got made when I asked if she was willing to negotiate. She had been taken, bought it for $125 and spent $85 to have it serviced. I think the case was destroyed when it was shipped to her.

I just wished her good luck. It is too bad that people pay more than what things are worth. I have too, but count it as a learning experience. But I am not as savy as Billy.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Ok quick question. Was looking at the machine. Very plain and not very ornate. It does have the singer logo on the front. No badge and some gold scroll work in the bed. Is that normal for the 66?
Originally Posted by Deara
Originally Posted by jackkip
Hi everyone!

I need a litle help. I am in rural Ohio visiting my inlaws. Phone service is spotty at best. I bought a machine and need someone to date it for me.

It is a singer. The serial number I found is. B1299706. It is in great shape. It appears that a motor was added at some time. The motor on it says phaff. It was in a comtempory cabinet. Since I was traveling just bought the machine.

Only paid $25 for it. I took a picture with my phone. Just don't know how to upload a pix from my phone. No computer , just traveling with my phone. So any info would be great.

Thanks you so much, you guys are great,
Jackie
Hey Jackie,
Just checked the serial # and she is a model 66 and her production date is September 1, 1905.
Safe traveling.
Blessings,
Sandi
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Sorry guys. I am just full of questions. This machine has motor that is not original to the machine. I not sure if this was a hand crank or a treadle. I would like to take it back to where it began.

Want to share pix. Anyone smarter than me know how to post pix from my iPhone to the boards?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1850141146.html

Another very pretty machine in good condition by the looks of it. Does anyone know what it is?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM

AnnaQuilts,

What do you think folks, New Home or Minnesota? I would buy that one just for the cabinet which seems to be in excellent condition on the surface, but try to negotiate the price down if it doesn't have any bobbins, shuttles, feet, accessories and such because you are going to have to find and pay for those to get it working.

If the opening is compatable, you could have a new home for your favorite homeless machine!

Aardie
Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Another very pretty machine in good condition by the looks of it. Does anyone know what it is?
It is a beautiful cabinet and machine. I am thinking a Davis but am no expert. They were the company that made machines for Sears, so it may have been sold that way. So it could be a Minnesota.