Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

I'm curious... my MIL just told me she had a flip up. She thinks it's a FW (it's in a case, on the floor, in the back of her sewing room gathering dust bunnies...). I seem to remember that her daughter has the FW. So now I'm wondering what the heck my MIL might have. (I go to her house tomorrow to check...).

(
My 301's came in a case that looks like a medium sized suitcase. The FW case is much smaller. Either way, FW or 301, I know you will be happy.

To answer a question you asked a few posts back....the short bed is the one that will fit into the cabinets. The long bed does not. My black one is a long bed and all the others are short beds. I finally found a cabinet for mine, on CL, and it even had a two toned 301 in it!! :-D Even if you don't have a cabinet they sit nicely on a table top.

I've been making a log cabin quilt on mine. The thing that I really love about it is that it doesn't eat the fabric even when the pieces are really small (I've also been making a crumb quilt)---they just glide right through.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Cathy, what is a crumb quilt? Kathie
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about the machine I am now the proud owner of. The picture is on page 568 and it is a Domestic
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Cathy, what is a crumb quilt? Kathie
A crumb quilt is made from blocks that are made by using the smallest scraps when cutting your other quilts. I bought a box, stuffed full-full-full, of crumbs from a QB member and I am really enjoying making my crumb blocks. The 301 sews them so easily even though some of the pieces are an inch or less. Check out Bonnie Hunters article on crumb quilts: http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

I'll have to take a few pictures of the blocks that I've made and post them.
ETA: Here is a pic of some of my favorites that I've made. These are 6 inches square.

A few of my favorite crumb blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164046[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164041.jpe  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Just guessing but it's probably a badged machine. Badged means made by one company but marketed under a different name or store brand like Sears. If no one jumps in, try Needlebar.org for info. Was she made in Japan? If so, Needlebar might be the place to start. Good people with lots of good info and pictures, too. Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by josiegirl
Can anyone tell me anything about the machine I am now the proud owner of. The picture is on page 568 and it is a Domestic
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Go to this site and you can age your machine. On page 18 of Badged White Model ID you will find your machine - they have Domestic 153MC 1949 pictured.

Go back to home page and under Serial Numbers/Dating List you should be able to age your machine.

Oh and it is a badged White machine.

Nancy
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Cathy I am impressed with your crumb quilts. Kathie
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
My girlfriend who lives near the location is bringing her Pfaff 3/4 treadle along for me, and I will probably take a Japanese Class 15 HC conversion along "just in case". I am dropping off a parlor treadle in Nashville, and MIGHT take along an unusual Kenmore treadle for sale.

I was advised against it, as it seems most people wind up filling up the storage unit and then refilling their houses, but it has helped me to sort out a lot of things I don't want. I've donated a lot, sold some, given away a ton of stuff. I feel a bit lighter every day.
Miz Johnny do you ever take an electric machine to retreat? Like a FW (I know you sold yours) or one of your other vintage electric machines? Is seems like so much trouble to try and load treadles and here you are loading at least two! I love my treadles, but I'd be afraid I'd hurt the cabinet loading and unloading it -- besides, I always have stuff in the drawers that I'd have to take out. It would be nice if the retreats had a couple treadle bases that treadle people could use -- just bring a head.

Nancy
I'm "almost" ready. I did load 2 treadles into the van; the little Franklin was no problem, but I'll carry bruises from the parlor treadle. My husband has never heard of taking things slow, and as we were going up the steps and I was saying, "Wait, wait; I don't have a good grip!" he hurried on, the treadle slipped, and I caught it with my neck. I have a nice sized lump there, but luckily it didn't fall on me and break my neck or anything!! Then in the van--I was trying to push it over to the side so I could load other stuff--and he gave a gigantic shove, right into my foot. I put my life at risk every time I move something with DH, even though we've been doing this for years!!

I never take an electric machine (even though I have many) because I simply don't like using them any more. I need to sew on some of mine this winter; we'll see if I change my mind. BTW, I do still have one FW, but it has never been cleaned up. It's coming, though!!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM

Kwendt- I also love my 301's! If you could get it for a hundred bucks, that would be great. That cabinet that it's in is a trapezoid. It was introduced to feature the 301's. The cabinet is hard to find in good condition. It has the cradle too. I would pay up to $125. You don't have an opportunity to get one everyday. As for the size of the bed, it's a matter of personal preference. I have both, and I like them both. The machine is a dream to FMQ on and the slant shank makes it so easy to see what you're doing. Good Luck and let us know what happens!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Cathy nice crumb quilt! How 'planned' is it or are you a reach in the paper bag kinda girl?