Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Glenn
Kim, You can see pic of the cabinet for my pathfinder. It is finished with a fumed oak stain with three coats of shellac. (page 392) I used clear shellac instead of the orange because the stain was dark enough. The finish when I got it was black with age and had been revarnished several times with some kind of dark finish that was crazed and dirty. Glenn
Glenn is this the one you've been looking for a manual for? Am I right in thinking you believe it to be a Davis? It really looks like a New Home Model N to me. . . .
It looks like a NH but it is made by Davis Pathfinder is a badged Davis. Glenn
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
My fault I assumed it was oak. Looks like mahogony from the grain. you would have to order veneer for this from a wood worker cat. It can be patched but I would wait until stripped to see. I have in the past painted faux grain on a damaged spot to match the rest of the wood. You can get cherry or mahogony easy enough. Glenn
Rockler's has mahogony by sheet or roll. I wouldn't need a whole lot if I did this. I'll send a picture of it stripped, after I work with it a bit. I appreciate your expertise, Glenn... thanks!
I use Rocklers all the time and they are a very good company. Mahogony and walnut is hard to tell apart sometimes if it has a brown stain. You will know more when stripped. Glenn
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

I have what appears to be a Davis - but has LaReine - Levy & Sommers, Rayne, La. on it. It's a coffin top. The veneer is gone from several places around the edge. Would it be possible to just remove the rest of the veneer and finish the top? I have a friend who does cabinets but only part time and it's hard for him to come out to my house & pick up my machine and then deliver it back.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Here's one to identify... off of craigslist in florida. I don't think I've seen one with ??? on the sides? upright scrolls? Billy, do you want it??? lol:

Treadle Sewing Machine - $125 (Hernando)
--------------------------------------------------------------------Date: 2011-01-23, 2:39PM EST
Reply to: [email protected]
------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Home treadle sewing machine, it is in great condition, made 1892, has alot of 1892 sewing attachments, needles, etc. that goes with it, I just need more room in my house. Call Debbie 352-201-5905

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

old HOME treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131929[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131924.jpe  
Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Here's one to identify... off of craigslist in florida. I don't think I've seen one with ??? on the sides? upright scrolls? Billy, do you want it??? lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------Date: 2011-01-23, 2:39PM EST
Reply to: [email protected]
I have a Home treadle sewing machine, it is in great condition, made 1892, has alot of 1892 sewing attachments, needles, etc. that goes with it, I just need more room in my house. Call Debbie 352-201-5905

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Those look like old spools/bobbins for weaving machines standing by the coffin top but I can't tell for sure.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Here is a Necchi Supernova on CL in KS
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2195605114.html
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM

[quote=kwendt]Here's one to identify... off of craigslist in florida. I don't think I've seen one with ??? on the sides? upright scrolls? Billy, do you want it??? lol:

This looks like a very old (1870's-80's) New Home cabinet.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is a Necchi Supernova on CL in KS
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2195605114.html
Very nice!! And it's green.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Those look like old spools/bobbins for weaving machines standing by the coffin top but I can't tell for sure.
OH! Yes, that is what they look like. It must be a New Home machine and they didn't quite get it in the ad right.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM

I ordered a new reproduction hand crank and it arrived today.
I have an original also, the craftmanship quality of the new one is rather crude when compared to the Singer
part that came with my Singer 201K-4. I like using a treadle machine much better, but my granddaughters liked
using the handcrank much better.
Sharon W.

1923 Singer 99K w/repro hand crank.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138770[/ATTACH]

repro hand crank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138773[/ATTACH]

end piece of hand crank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138775[/ATTACH]

1937 Singer 201k-4 natural born hand crank from the Kilbowie,Scotland plant.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138765.jpe   attachment-138768.jpe   attachment-138770.jpe   attachment-138863.jpe