Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM

vm. thank you for responding to my message. As I found out when I went back and checked my no. again, the machine is made 1/6/20. I look forward to working with it and gleaning more info. on it.Jan
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Vintage, I cannot send a picture at this time but will try to later.
She,singer,has covers front and back on bed to the right of the needle. I am pretty sure she is a 127.Jan
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed reading how the machines find their owners. I have 26 or so that have just had to be mine. Some I have worked on, some waiting, some that are just junk from a school sale of machines, but for a quarter apiece, I couldn't pass them up.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
Looks like mahogony from the grain. It can be patched but I would wait until stripped to see. Glenn
I'll send a picture of it stripped, after I work with it a bit. I appreciate your expertise, Glenn... thanks!
Well... like most projects, one thing leads to another... I took the table apart... and discovered some cracked wood. Not major. When I've finished with it, you won't see it. That's glued and clamped at the moment. The seat also has a side stile that's cracked along the area that holds the hardboard bottom to the underseat compartment. Part of the stile is actually missing. It's also glued and clamped. I'll test it in a couple days to see if it will hold.

A question for you, Glenn... I'm a little concerned about the wood screws going back into the old holes. I'm planning on using this Singer in this cabinet as a 'daily driver'. I'm afraid the screws won't hold... but be loose enough to work themselves out over time/use. I've heard various solutions to this problem - everything from daubing the holes with wood putty to wood glue. What do you think holds best?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed reading how the machines find their owners. I have 26 or so that have just had to be mine. Some I have worked on, some waiting, some that are just junk from a school sale of machines, but for a quarter apiece, I couldn't pass them up.
Hi Melinda... That's pretty cool... 26? I'm impressed. Have fun with them. Welcome to the board!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I ordered a new reproduction hand crank and it arrived today.
I have an original also, the craftmanship quality of the new one is rather crude when compared to the Singer
part that came with my Singer 201K-4. I like using a treadle machine much better, but my granddaughters liked
using the handcrank much better.
Sharon W.
Sharon, the HC I put on my 15-88 I got from Billy! I like mine much better, it doesn't have the Japanese writing on it! Your HC looks good, but I think I will stick with Billy's HC's. Thanks for showing us - this is how we learn!

Nancy
As soon as billy can find me a spoked handwheel I will get one of his HC to convert me old redeye since it does not have irons. Glenn
I am going to look a set of machines this weekend so I might have one for you then.

I love the hand cranks that I have they are really smooth and the paint looks so nice on them. The only gripe is that they do not have the wooden handle but the supplier I get these from told me they are made in Canada.

Billy
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Hello! I am new to this forum and would not register until I had read the entire thread. Yes, every page. I have always loved old sewing machines, so I am glad to see that I am not alone in the world. I got my great grandmother's treadle when I was 14 back in 1976, and made it work then, and have continued to find new prizes regularly. I have enjoyed learning about other machines, and am looking forward to learning more.
Wow you are diligent I will say that!! So how long did it take to read the thread anyway?

Welcome aboard and I am glad you are here with us!!

Billy
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM

About 3 weeks. I got carried away after reading the cleaning tutorials and had to take care of a Davis Model D in the midst of the reading. I had asked for a sewing machine reference type book for Christmas and found this site instead.
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello! I am new to this forum and would not register until I had read the entire thread. Yes, every page. I have always loved old sewing machines, so I am glad to see that I am not alone in the world. I got my great grandmother's treadle when I was 14 back in 1976, and made it work then, and have continued to find new prizes regularly. I have enjoyed learning about other machines, and am looking forward to learning more.
Wow you are diligent I will say that!! So how long did it take to read the thread anyway?

Welcome aboard and I am glad you are here with us!!

Billy
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM

BoJangles, Thank you so much for the manuel website. This is the book to my machine. It will be a great help. I haven't figured what all the pcs. in the drawers are yet and this is a great help for me. Can't do much today for we just got a call that my husbands sister just past away this evening. Look forward to catching up with you all at another time. Jan
Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Looks like mahogony from the grain. It can be patched but I would wait until stripped to see. Glenn
I'll send a picture of it stripped, after I work with it a bit. I appreciate your expertise, Glenn... thanks!
Well... like most projects, one thing leads to another... I took the table apart... and discovered some cracked wood. Not major. When I've finished with it, you won't see it. That's glued and clamped at the moment. The seat also has a side stile that's cracked along the area that holds the hardboard bottom to the underseat compartment. Part of the stile is actually missing. It's also glued and clamped. I'll test it in a couple days to see if it will hold.

A question for you, Glenn... I'm a little concerned about the wood screws going back into the old holes. I'm planning on using this Singer in this cabinet as a 'daily driver'. I'm afraid the screws won't hold... but be loose enough to work themselves out over time/use. I've heard various solutions to this problem - everything from daubing the holes with wood putty to wood glue. What do you think holds best?
Kim I have a tool that will ream out the hole then glue a wood plug in the hole. When it cures for 24 hours predrill hole for the screws and insert them. If screws are still tight when inserted then you might be okay. Wood putty and glue will not stick to screws and hold them tight. You can use a drill and just drill a hole and glue a hardwood dowel in them then predrill and insert the screws. You can use also screw slightly larger than original but make sure they are the same length as the original. Hope this helps Glenn