Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Okay kids (and Glenn :D ) I think I have found a supplier for the spoked handwheels for the handcrank conversions. You know that I am a stubborn person when it comes to buying quality parts for my customers and I think these handwheels will do the trick!

So if the test subject works out like I think it will then I will be selling both the handcrank kits and the HC's by themselves.

Billy
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
You had fun yesterday! I like them both. Fusing makes those curve pieces so much more easier and fun to work with. I want to try a quilt as you go block. Some friends have tried it and liked working with one block over having to wrestle with a large quilt. Very pretty quilts!
Thank you guys for the compliments! Quilt As You Go is a fun way to use your treadles or even the electric vintage machines. You are only working with one block at a time to quilt, but when I finish 4 blocks (the blocks are 17"s square), then you still have to do a little wrestling to attach them to the sashing. Not like trying to quilt a queen sized quilt, though, and wrestle the whole thing just to quilt it! I have done that many a time! The really neat thing about the way I did these blocks is your blocks don't have to all measure the exact same thing! When you use the back ground, attach it to all sides and put the blocks on point, wacky, then square each one up to 17 1/2"s, no one ever knows your blocks didn't all measure exactly 12 1/2 inches to start with! Love it!

The really neat thing about this is that you can make a completely reversible quilt. Here I am using flannel on the back to make a comfort quilt, but I have done one completely reversible.

Nancy
Oh sorry about the pink, orange, and yellow stickies! I have to number the blocks to make sure they stay wacky!
Nancy, is this quilt in a book that can be bought? I love it and would love to make it for my soon to be grand daughter (gonna marry my oldest grandson) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I love star quilts. Thanx
Where is the picture of this quilt? I missed this one. I too would like to learn how to quilt as you go.
Thanks
There's one called "Ditter's string quilt" that is a good basic quilt on this board. Bobbie
What page is Ditter's string quilt pictured on?
She's on the main pages under "Ditter's string quilt"
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay kids (and Glenn :D ) I think I have found a supplier for the spoked handwheels for the handcrank conversions. You know that I am a stubborn person when it comes to buying quality parts for my customers and I think these handwheels will do the trick!

So if the test subject works out like I think it will then I will be selling both the handcrank kits and the HC's by themselves.

Billy
Sounds good to me. Glenn
Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Anyone have any idea what kind of Singer is in this picture in a Craigslist ad, I came across? You really have to love some of the pictures that people put in their ads.... :roll: :mrgreen:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/art/2200961889.html

I don't think it's a Rocketeer or a 301.
No, it's much newer than those.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork

Thank you Miz Johnny! Do you know how I can find the date it was made? I found a manual that said SERATA, Vibrating Shuttle Sewing Machine,Robert Nelson & Co, Manufacturers of Domestic Machines, London and Branches. There is not any ID from Stoewer. I did see one machine that was #654?71 dated 1904 and mine is # 640765 I downloaded the manual at this website: http://sewingwishlist.com/serata-manuals.html My friend was in England when she was given the machine 20yrs ago and one of the shops called Robert Nelson & Co was in Hastings.{England} http://mylookbackintime.com/Family_S...brill__Manager,_Domestic_Madman.html Interesting that one of the manager's relatives emigrated to Winnepipeg, Canada and one of the links you gave was someone who bought hers in Canada. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures from Needlebar. They said you could get help with dating your machine from Mr Needlebar dating...how? I couldn't find a link.
No--Needlebar used to have an online tool called something like "Mr. Needlebar's Guide to Dating" which was a wonderful tool to help dating the old machines, but it is long gone. The serial number on yours is so close to the other that I would date it at Ca. 1903 for now, until someone comes up with a better method.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Check this site out for dating Domestic machines. I happened to bump into this site and was really interesting to see the machines on it.

http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html

The 3rd machine down is just like the one I have.

Billy
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

Oh and this is for the Smithsonian website and their sewing machine information.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...wing-Machines/

Billy
Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Yeah Billy!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 PM

I just posted a fix for worn spots on cabinets that you may not want to completely refinish. Glenn
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I just posted a fix for worn spots on cabinets that you may not want to completely refinish. Glenn
I'm about 100 pages behind here....where did you post this fix at??