Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh while I am thinking about it here is the newest "keeper" in my collection. The reason I said that was because I bought another machine yesterday that I am going to sell on here once I figure out what I am going to do with it. You know the whole repaint or leave well enough alone.

Anyway it is an Eldridge "B" and the best I can tell it was made in 1885. It can not be any later than 1886 but I have a real good friend Annie looking at a bunch of photos of the machine with the serial to help me out in getting the exact year.

Billy
Thats a pretty machine. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by p
I have my machine will be in the house tomorrow 2/5 and I am excited to say the least. I would like to know if you sell bobbins and needles. I will also need a belt could use your advice on where to get this or would you have any for sale.
Billy sells bobbins. Most machines take a regular Schmetz needle unless you are getting a Davis, Wheeler & Wilson, Singer 9W, or something that takes a special needle. The belts are available at most sewing machine shops and easily attained on-line.

What are you getting?

Nancy
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
It came! It came! My Singer 201-2 sewing machine is finally here. It's black and shiny, and weight 40 lbs, and it was all in one piece, and I got a bunch of goodies with it, and it fits in the cabnet the 15-91 Singer was in ( the one that had major electric issues but thats okay because I only paid $20 for it and I will get it fixed later), and sews PERFECT seams, and its the quiest machine I have ever heard and...................oh sorry I had to take a breath finally. Now I just need to get that free motion quilting attatchment foot and I can finally quilt all of the quilt tops that I have been making. I have four tops ready to quilt. I'm so excited. I tend to name all of sewing machines once they show me their personalitys, but DH just wants to name it "Last one", as in this is the last one I am going to buy, ever. Isn't he silly?

Kathy
Congratulations on your new 201! I still don't have a 201, but will one of these days!

Last One huh? Well, if you are as addicted as the rest of us I seriously doubt it will be "Last One."

Nancy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Here is another parlor cabinet to look at Billy. It is in Burlington, MA which wouldn't be too far from your friend in the Boston area.
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/atq/2193687527.html
Wow, that is a beautiful cabinet. It looks like it is in very good shape too. That would be a cabinet to put in the living room!

Nancy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Up North
LOL you are welcome Billy I might not post much but I am here everyday!! I come for the coffee and deserts!! LOL NAH I have a couple vintage machines myself!
Oh now do tell!! And pics would be nice too, you know how we love photos here!!

And speaking of coffee have you noticed how much it has jumped up in price? Almost double!! :shock:

But you know we always have a fresh pot on and Lisa has her famous lemon bars over there so we are good to go!! And yes we have several teas for the non coffee crowd. I try to take care of my extended family in here!! :-D

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
This was going to be a parts machine but when I cleaned it up I thought it would be great to have a HC. It was bought for 5.00 and the wheel on it was a solid one. It sews great. I have a spoked wheel on my 1916 redeye from my grandma and do not want to swap the wheels. Glenn
No No don't swap wheels. Your grandmother's machine needs to stay the way it was when she used it. I forgot that the Redeye was produced for a very long time. My Redeye is a 1914 machine with a spoked wheel of course. You will find a spoked wheel. Boy, that just goes to show that we should not pass up those throw away machines we sometimes see for parts. I could of gotten a trashed/thrown out/torn up Redeye for $5. It had the wheel and some parts on it still. My problem is that when I find something like that I 'know' I will spend the money to try to put it back together!

Nancy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by p
I have my machine will be in the house tomorrow 2/5 and I am excited to say the least. I would like to know if you sell bobbins and needles. I will also need a belt could use your advice on where to get this or would you have any for sale.
Billy sells bobbins. Most machines take a regular Schmetz needle unless you are getting a Davis, Wheeler & Wilson, Singer 9W, or something that takes a special needle. The belts are available at most sewing machine shops and easily attained on-line.

What are you getting?

Nancy
She has a model 66 only the smoothest sewing singer out there next to the 201!!!

I can not remember who got my Blue 66 I sold on here but I would put that machine up to any 201 for the smoothest running sewing machine! That was one of the nicest 66's I have ever had in my possession.

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
This was going to be a parts machine but when I cleaned it up I thought it would be great to have a HC. It was bought for 5.00 and the wheel on it was a solid one. It sews great. I have a spoked wheel on my 1916 redeye from my grandma and do not want to swap the wheels. Glenn
No No don't swap wheels. Your grandmother's machine needs to stay the way it was when she used it. I forgot that the Redeye was produced for a very long time. My Redeye is a 1914 machine with a spoked wheel of course. You will find a spoked wheel. Boy, that just goes to show that we should not pass up those throw away machines we sometimes see for parts. I could of gotten a trashed/thrown out/torn up Redeye for $5. It had the wheel and some parts on it still. My problem is that when I find something like that I 'know' I will spend the money to try to put it back together!

Nancy
Funny thing is I am like you and Glenn to me there is no such thing as a parts machine, I want to get them back together and running again. The machine that I got the handwheel off of for Honchey's Red Eye was cobbled back together and is in use in my studio. It is my FrankenSinger!! :lol: I think I used parts from 3 or 4 different machines to get it running (I pilfered a handwheel from a 185J for it). But it is a 66-1 and I could not let it go to the wayside!

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by sharoney
I have a question- I recently bought a 1934 Singer 15 91 from ebay. I just love free motion quilting on this machine because it's very forgiving! But I just have it sitting on a table, and it really needs to be sitting flush in a cabinet. My question is, do most of the old sewing machine cabinets have a standard opening size, or is it going to be difficult for me to find one that fits my machine? What about just finding an old table and cutting a hole in the top?

Thanks
Sharoney
You need a cabinet with a 14 5/8" x 7" (+or -) with the hinge centers at 9 1/2".

Billy
Sharoney... You can check out this site: http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...nets.html#1591

According to ismacs, the following cabinets will fit a Model 15-91. (They are pretty reliable.)

Cabinet No. 40 (Queen Anne)
Cabinet No. 40
Cabinet No. 42
Cabinet No. 47
Cabinet No. 65
Cabinet No. 71

On the site, you can click each cabinet name and get more information, see what it looks like...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Billy us antiques restoration people have always had trouble with you car painters wanting to spray that high gloss finish on wood. That is okay I understand!!! :lol: You can rub the finish down with steel wool(oooo) and wax to take some of this shine off if you want. Most people do not realize that shellac was used on the machine cabinets and the machines themselves. It is wise to test the finish to see what it is. I am like you Billy we are family and I am here to help. Glenn
Okay guys... what about Tung oil. Isn't that a shallac of sorts? I'm thinking about using that over the cabinets (I've now got two) once stripped and stained. It penetrates, it seals, you can get it in high gloss and low gloss. Yes? No?