Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I am sure it is still available, a coffee table made from a 5 drawer cabinet on some little short legs. It is painted white so it will go with the chair!
I must admit to having a piece of "furniture" made from an old treadle base. My mother bought a beautiful Singer treadle that had been made electric, and the wheel and pedal removed. She bought a base, made the switch and turned the treadle-less base into a table using the top from an old ironing board. It was one of the few pieces of furniture I asked for from her house after she passed. If I ever get to sew again, I intend to use it as a hand crank table.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I am sure it is still available, a coffee table made from a 5 drawer cabinet on some little short legs. It is painted white so it will go with the chair!
Oh Lisa I saw that one too. I actually crinch when I see stuff like that. Sad! Lets hope they did not demolish a sewing machine and cabinet for the parts.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 PM

I can pick this one up and ship it to you.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/fuo/1852862693.html
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 AM

That's a much better interpretation than this one.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1849784905.html

Thanks but I don't think it fits my decore. :?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 AM

What were they thinking?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Lisa you and Johnny are killing me.....I am back very coherent this morning and I about fell out of my LazyBoy after looking at all of those post.

If it was not for me being super busy today trying to get some more of these machines serviced and out of my way I would work on a treadle base I have here from a New Home from the 1870's. I might repurpose it to a table but it will be functioning and ready to set a cabinet on and start running at a drop of a hat.

But I do not recommend altering them for other means.

Billy
Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

hmmm... I posted the treadle chair because I thought it was just very odd. But I see nothing 'wrong' with it; in fact it's pretty creative. (That does NOT mean I want it, so don't send it to me.) Reuse of old materials is very popular now, for good reason, and there are many thousands of these old stands around, many of them having lost their sewing machines or pitmans, some very rusty, or with cracked cast iron bases. They can't all be transformed into working sewing machines. Isn't it better to use the stand (and even the machine) for another purpose than to send it to the dump? And admit it, if you have half a dozen machines waiting for restoration, what are the chances when you're done that they will all be used for actual sewing? Is it better to hoard them (albeit in working order), or to actually use them as a plant stand, chair, coffee table, what-have-you?

These are rhetorical questions, admittedly, since my garage holds its share of old treadles and other derelict machines awaiting transformation into working machines, and the house holds a working featherweight as well as a model 66 treadle and 15-91 that I have rescued and cleaned up. But I am asking myself what I'm doing, since I know I will continue to sew on my new fancy-dancy Bernina, at least most of the time, and I don't know what to do with all these machines once they're operational. Selling them would be an option, but again they would probably be used as furniture rather than as sewing machines. So... good for the folks who found a purpose for these stands, because they're not in the dump (yet). And there's still no shortage of machines for us to restore.

Just my opinion. And I'm still on the lookout for old machines... yes, I will try to save them <sigh>
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Oops, I may have spoken too soon... this one might have gone just a tad too far...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/fuo/1854729851.html
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 AM

Ooh that lamp is sad!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 AM

My hubby bought me a Priemer Deluxe machine at an auction. The book says 1951 and the cost $159. I think he paid $35 for it. Does anyone know who made it. I can't find any information. It is in great shape, except for the wiring, and it is heavy.