Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I just got back from Texas and while there I got to see a sewing machine I just know you all will appreciate. It's in a great cabinet with chair and the machine looks like it's in great shape and comes with everything. I'd love to know as much about this machine as any of you can provide. Thanks in advance!
That's the famous Singer Rocketeer (Model 501A).

http://sewretro.blogspot.com/2008/01...teer-501a.html
Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

Okay you got the photos!

That my friend is a Singer 500A they were made in 1962 and it is the be all end all machine from Singer. I honestly do not think that there was a better machine that came from the factory! That machine will hang with any of the new machines out there and will put most of them out on the curb!

It has a built in cam stack for several decorative stitches and you can put cams into the machine to give you a wider array of stitches. You can never go wrong with this machine I should know I am looking at one here in my sunroom!!

Billy
Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay you got the photos!

That my friend is a Singer 500A they were made in 1962 and it is the be all end all machine from Singer. I honestly do not think that there was a better machine that came from the factory! That machine will hang with any of the new machines out there and will put most of them out on the curb!

It has a built in cam stack for several decorative stitches and you can put cams into the machine to give you a wider array of stitches. You can never go wrong with this machine I should know I am looking at one here in my sunroom!!

Billy
Thanks Billy! I'm trying to talk her out of it. I've made it perfectly clear how badly I would love to have it. I can only hope.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM

I bought one new in July 1962 at the Macoupin County Fair in Carlinville, Illinois, from Ms. Pocklngton, " The Singer Lady". Think I paid almost $500.00 for it with a maple cabinet. My first major purchase after graduating from high school. Gave it to my DIL probably 20 yrs ago. I have another Slant O'Matic. Think it is a few yrs older. The dials on it are round. It is in a desk type cabinet with drawers down the side. Got it at a garage sale in the early 90's for 10 dollars, right after we moved to Tulsa. The one advantage of moving around is that you can date things and events by where we lived. I think I have 9 machines total now. My son counted them when he was here and said "What For Mother?" I told him the same reason that he has a whole tack room full of horse equipment....cause I love it. LOL
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Well it only took me over a year to get mine so dont give up, persistence pays!!

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Okay you got the photos!

Billy
Thanks Billy! I'm trying to talk her out of it. I've made it perfectly clear how badly I would love to have it. I can only hope.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Here is mine before cleaning....

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84276.jpe   attachment-84277.jpe  
Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Makes me want to run out to the garage and bring it in to sew on. Maybe when I rearrange my sewing room. I have 4 vintage machines, and in the last 5 yrs. I have purchased a Baby Lock Quilters Choice, Ellegante, and a self threading serger, and a Janome...plus a Brothers, and White that I picked up at a thrift store for 5 or 10 dollars each. I never leave home without a sewing machine of some sort, and some fabric. I got stuck in a Motel in St. Joe, MO during the floods of 1993, so went to WalMart and bought an inexpensive Brothers machine and some fabric to pass away the time for a week. Made a few western shirts for my husband during that stay. So now I always take a machine with me wherever we travel.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Oh my!!! I need to add the 500 to my collection someday! LOL!!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM

I got the treadle bug and started looking! Spent a day on the coast looking at five machines and came back with nothing! I was so discouraged with what people thought were nice machines.

Looked on Craig's list again and found this one. As soon as I saw it I knew this was the one! She came home with me right away. She was missing a belt and I found a person in Portland who repairs industrial machines and has done a lot of treadles. One thing someone did to her is put the light on the back. I would like to find the beautiful decorative plate that fits on the back. If anyone knows of a resource where I might find one please let me know.

The machine has been very well cared for. It hasn't been used in years. The man I bought it from bought it for a piece of furniture. The cabinet is in excellent condition. At first he told me he didn't have any attachments and when I got there he had found them in the drawer! Yippee! but they need a good cleaning. The book is missing the first two pages but thanks to one of our sweet dear board members I think I might be able to get them! There is a very light mark on the top of the cabinet but once cleaned up and oiled I feel it won't show at all. Isn't she pretty!!

Thank you Charlee for all your help and advice when I needed it right now!

A little wear on the decals
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84160[/ATTACH]

the light that was added
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84155.jpe   attachment-84156.jpe   attachment-84157.jpe   attachment-84159.jpe  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

OH MY GOSH! BILLY!!!

I do believe I see some sort of electrical cord attached to that machine! Are you really sure you own this??? There's probably a treadle hooked to it some way, right?? Gotta get your work out!
Here is mine before cleaning....

Billy