Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Take a look at the cool colors of this vintage Brother machine. Please tell me I'm not the only one who can just see a whole room decorated in those colors with the machine being the focal point. LOL

http://fresno.craigslist.org/hsh/2341372738.html
A friend has one this color. She refers to it as "neopolitan". Apt, I'm thinking!!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Can anyone tell me how I might remove rust from the metal portions of this singer...This was my Grandmother's and stored in damp basement for yrs...She works and body in great condition.
Evaporust is best for the shiny parts--not sure about the bed of the machine.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Excuse me for interrupting, but I have a vintage featherweight question. I bought a 1936 model yesterday, and took the bottom cover off to look. One of the wires (?) is covered with some sort of cream colored insulation which is flaking off. Does anyone know what this stuff is and why only one wire is covered? Is the flaking a sign that it should be replaced? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
Marylin,
My FW is newer (60's) and I didn't run into that w/mine. Hopefully Billy (lostin51) will have an answer for you. Have you plugged it in yet (gone for "test drive" )? I'd be careful until you get an answer before doing too much sewing on her. She may need to be re-wired, shouldn't be too expensive. Good luck and keep us posted w/what you found.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Happy Easter everyone!

I am off to get ready for Easter! We are having a huge Easter egg hunt later today - my hubby stuffed 300 plastic eggs with candy! There are 16 + kids hunting and dinner for 36 people this afternoon after church!

Nancy
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Sharon and Monica, what do you use to get the dental floss sewn on? A large needle? I haven't tried the dental floss, but sometimes when treadling my belt slips - acts like it is stuck - I wonder if the dental floss will fix that issue?
Nancy
I use a tapestry needle with a large eye, it works great; use the cheapest waxed dental floss they sell. If your belt is slipping it may need to be shortened a bit, usually just a 1/4"
is enough. If its getting stuck, maybe the belt wheel needs to be cleaned?
Sharon
Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Excuse me for interrupting, but I have a vintage featherweight question. I bought a 1936 model yesterday, and took the bottom cover off to look. One of the wires (?) is covered with some sort of cream colored insulation which is flaking off. Does anyone know what this stuff is and why only one wire is covered? Is the flaking a sign that it should be replaced? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
Its not uncommon for the stuff to flake off, just brush it off. Your machine is 75 years old, stuff is bound to come off. I would check the wiring to make sure that its all intact.
Take a look at this webpage and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...tdisaster.html

Sharon W.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 AM

I just bought the Metal Class 66 Singer's at Joann's and they wouldn't wind on my machine either...hold to small but I was able to wind them on my 301. I'm wondering if I should buy a bobbin winder and if they would wind on one of those?
Well, that's two for two, mine were not Singer bobbins, but Ritz brand - interesting. I think, I will just stick with vintage bobbins.

Nancy
Dritz brand bobbins are crappy IMHO. Some of the Dritz bobbins I bought weren't exactly round....
I can't wind them on my machines either,the center hole is too small. I've found that some of the other newer bobbins fit on the bobbin winder, but won't work with my Singer 201; the little hole that fits on the little peg so the bobbin stays put when winding doesn't line up. They do fine on the 66 and 99 though. Fortunately I have lots of vintage class 66 bobbins; found a lot of 35 on Ebay.
Sharon W.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have been amazed too at how those old Singer 66s can just sew through layers of jean material with no problems.
All the really old machines can sew through those flat felt seams with no problem! I have use my Wheeler & Wilson's and my 127 with no problems at all!

Yesterday, I finished some Easter projects, little wall hangings with my Betty, Davis Vertical Feed. Love to put my bindings on with that machine! Now hubby and I have to get her cabinet re-done. The veneer is all coming off and bubbled -- that is the only machine in the house with a really bad cabinet! Monica, I am so glad you pointed me in the direction of that machine -- love it!

I wanted to tell you guys I found a problem with the Ritz class 66 bobbins I got from Wal Mart. They work fine in the 66 and 99, but you can not wind them. They won't fit on the bobbin winder post. I guess, I haven't tried to wind one of those bobbins before! So, back to finding vintage bobbins, or maybe these are just a bad batch? Anyway else tried to wind one of the 66's from Wal Mart on a vintage machine?

Nancy
I just bought the Metal Class 66 Singer's at Joann's and they wouldn't wind on my machine either...hold to small but I was able to wind them on my 301. I'm wondering if I should buy a bobbin winder and if they would wind on one of those?
I bought one of those bobbin winders (Side Winders) at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon so it was pretty cheap and it works great at winding any round bobbin. I just fill a bunch and have them ready. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I bought one of those bobbin winders (Side Winders) at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon so it was pretty cheap and it works great at winding any round bobbin. I just fill a bunch and have them ready. Just my 2 cents worth.
The Sidewinder doesn't work for the new Viking or Pfaff bobbins,
the spindle is too big, therefore the bobbin won't go on. It works for all my other bobbins.
Sharon W.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
My FMQ is really crappy, so it certainly isn't something I'm going to be playing with on anything larger than a baby quilt at this point.
Nice machine! Congrats!

My free motion quilting is still at the "edgy"stage, innovative stage. I find that I'm better off with sharp points than curves. I have done a quilt with squiggles and loops, but I find that I like the look of the straight line quilts more.

There are some young gals out there making quilts and selling them that only do straight line quilting. It has a very clean look which I like.

Here is a photo of my edgy look.
Mine is probably really rusty now since it has been so long since I even had the chance to sew but this (and all of my other quilts) came off of my treadle.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188384.jpe   attachment-188385.jpe