Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 AM

[quote=BoJangles][quote=vintagemotif]Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle.

Monica what year is your 328K?

Nancy
1962 Are you going to start a file for them too?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have been amazed too at how those old Singer 66s can just sew through layers of jean material with no problems.
All the really old machines can sew through those flat felt seams with no problem! I have use my Wheeler & Wilson's and my 127 with no problems at all!

Yesterday, I finished some Easter projects, little wall hangings with my Betty, Davis Vertical Feed. Love to put my bindings on with that machine! Now hubby and I have to get her cabinet re-done. The veneer is all coming off and bubbled -- that is the only machine in the house with a really bad cabinet! Monica, I am so glad you pointed me in the direction of that machine -- love it!

I wanted to tell you guys I found a problem with the Ritz class 66 bobbins I got from Wal Mart. They work fine in the 66 and 99, but you can not wind them. They won't fit on the bobbin winder post. I guess, I haven't tried to wind one of those bobbins before! So, back to finding vintage bobbins, or maybe these are just a bad batch? Anyway else tried to wind one of the 66's from Wal Mart on a vintage machine?

Nancy
I had the same problem with winding the newer bobbins. So, I only use the vintage ones too.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:34 AM

[quote=Lostn51][quote=vintagemotif][quote=mpeters1200

Mine is probably really rusty now since it has been so long since I even had the chance to sew but this (and all of my other quilts) came off of my treadle.

Billy[/quote]

That's a pretty quilt! I love the colors.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Ok, this forum was suggested to me and was told Billy is very knowledgeable. Here's what I have. A Singer portable machine in a brown & beige case with latches on each end. The machine has a plate on the front left with this number:
AM 0574552, on the back is this info:
CAT BZ 15-8
SS AU 52-30-24
Elizabethport, NJ
It is missing a bobbin holder and the bobbin cover plate.
Not a lot of design, but the side plate cover(terminology here?)has a ridge design

I have some photos, where do I upload them so you can take a look? I think I just found out how to post pics

Thanks,
Frankie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188464.jpe   attachment-188465.jpe   attachment-188469.jpe   attachment-188471.jpe   attachment-188472.jpe  

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Tinabug, it is a Singer 99, doesn't have a bobbin holder, the bobbin just drops into the hole and the slide plate covers the bobbin. Looks in great shape! You put one two many 5's in the serial number. I had a closer look at the pic, AM057452. it was made in April, 1955.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi Emmah,
Thank you for helping out, I really appreciate the info. I did have the correct # written, just not smart enough to type it correctly, duh. I was informed that there is a site to find the manual and how to clean from Billy. I just need to jump in and do it. I'll keep my progress out there.
Have a glorious day!!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Excuse me for interrupting, but I have a vintage featherweight question. I bought a 1936 model yesterday, and took the bottom cover off to look. One of the wires (?) is covered with some sort of cream colored insulation which is flaking off. Does anyone know what this stuff is and why only one wire is covered? Is the flaking a sign that it should be replaced? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
I have a 1948 Featherweight that was also doing this. There is a Featherweight Yahoo group that I joined to learn everything about mine. You can also search differant topics to read what had been previously asked and posted. Hope this helps.
Judy
Old 04-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug
Hi Emmah,
Thank you for helping out, I really appreciate the info. I did have the correct # written, just not smart enough to type it correctly, duh. I was informed that there is a site to find the manual and how to clean from Billy. I just need to jump in and do it. I'll keep my progress out there.
Have a glorious day!!
Get a free download of the singer 99 manual here:
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/manuals.htm
Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM

thank you for the site for needles, Miz Johhny
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Here is pic of my backside after the spa treatment. The Godzilla finish is a bugger to clean.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188604.jpe   attachment-188605.jpe