Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM

I have been helping my husband build a fence, and have been trying to work on my two new foundlings from the front porch. The 626 has will need new gears, and I am going to try and brave up and do it myself. And the 128 is going to have some finish repair, but it freed up nicely. The case bottom will get rebuilt to let the machine sew. Billy didn't include it in the tutorial, but cleaning out a machine that is packed with roach droppings involved a water hose after I removed the motors. I just vaccuumed the motors first, then blew them out with the air compressor some more. Yucky job, but I figured it could not hurt them for sure.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by jtapp9
Does the 301 take a bobbin I can buy in the store or do I need to order them off the internet? They are so darned skinny!

And i LOVE to sew with this little beauty :). She is so fast!
I buy mine here, 10 for $3.99: (oops, I see they're $4.39 now)

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbins-...-SCBN45785.htm

She does offer quantity discount, too.
Thanks! Ended up having a mini shopping spree :oops:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM

I have read all of them, this is my daily enjoyment.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
So lets do a poll for kicks and giggles.......Who has read all 901 pages of the shops thread?

You would figure I have but I will admit I have skipped a few pages here and there just to be caught up. :oops:

Billy
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Hey Billy did you see this listing? I wish I had the money and the room, I'd make an offer.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/atq/2302413107.html
$75.00 for ALL three!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I hope that someone who is interested in antique machines gets them and he doesn't trash them instead.
It's actually $75 each but they will take a decent offer on all three.

I just got into vintage, and we owe a boatload of taxes, or I would talk to my husband. But I know at this point he would give a big resounding NO. It is around a 1.5 hr drive too and at the cost of gas we just cannot afford it right now. I may check back at the end of April though! :)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Hey Billy did you see this listing? I wish I had the money and the room, I'd make an offer.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/atq/2302413107.html
$75.00 for ALL three!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I hope that someone who is interested in antique machines gets them and he doesn't trash them instead.
It's actually $75 each but they will take a decent offer on all three.

I just got into vintage, and we owe a boatload of taxes, or I would talk to my husband. But I know at this point he would give a big resounding NO. It is around a 1.5 hr drive too and at the cost of gas we just cannot afford it right now. I may check back at the end of April though! :)
But even at $75 each you could choose to keep 1 of the 3, sell the other 2 & make a little profit to go towards taxes/fabric/or?? Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything :mrgreen:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Does the 301 take a bobbin I can buy in the store or do I need to order them off the internet? They are so darned skinny!

And i LOVE to sew with this little beauty :). She is so fast!
I buy mine here, 10 for $3.99: (oops, I see they're $4.39 now)

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbins-...-SCBN45785.htm

She does offer quantity discount, too.
Thanks! Ended up having a mini shopping spree :oops:
Hi,

You're quite welcome. She ships fast, too. Got my mini shopping spree in about three days clear across the country. She's even returned my phone calls and emails very promptly, even from home after hours. Great customer service! :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Singer 301a from FL that has some rust here and there, including a little on the feed dogs. The machine sews pretty good, but when I went to lower the feed dogs to try out FMQ, I couldn't get the thumbscrew (to the left of the bobbin case) to turn away from me with a screwdriver as the manual says to do.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to free up the thumbscrew and if there's anything I can do to clean the rust off the feed dogs?

I've attached two pics to show you just what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance,
Use Liquid Wrench liberally... Spray it on, leave a while, wipe off and try the screw. If it's still stuck, spray on more, leave a while, bump gently with a rubber screwdriver handle, leave a while longer, and try again. It's amazing how LW unfreezes things.
Thanks, I'll see if my neighbor has any. I appreciate the tip. :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Hi,

You're quite welcome. She ships fast, too. Got my mini shopping spree in about three days clear across the country. She's even returned my phone calls and emails very promptly, even from home after hours. Great customer service! :thumbup:

OMG I know!!!! She has already shipped it!!! That's in like an hour! :shock:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi,

OMG I know!!!! She has already shipped it!!! That's in like an hour! :shock:

I have purchased from her before too. She shipped before I paid her. Such a trusting lady. Her customer service is the best I have run across on the web.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM

I have read all the pages. It is hard to keep up when I go on travel and away from the computer for some time. Billy, thanks for making such a welcoming place and for all those who participate and share the joys of this addiction.