Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I'll have to take a few pictures of the blocks that I've made and post them.
ETA: Here is a pic of some of my favorites that I've made. These are 6 inches square.
Wow, this would be a great grandchild project. The kids could sit and sew all they wanted. When they had a big enough piece all I'd have to do is square them up! Great idea!

Oh we are talking about Crumb quilts!

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by redpurselady
OH Ann!! I just want to cry over your white FW. I can imagine how disappointed you must be over this. I hope you can resolve it favorably.
I'm with you.. (and everyone else) big, boo hoos.
Oh... I never want to get a machine shipped now... (except if Billy packs it!).
I wanted to cry but I didn't want my son to see me. I was so excited when he brought it in. I think my heart went to the floor when I took it out and the motor was hanging and the bed just fell out of the box.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ann63
I received my Featherweight from Ebay. The motor was broke off and a piece was also broke off the bed. The Seller asked me to find out how much it cost to fix it. He said it must have got damaged during shipping. I sent Billy a PM. Here are the pictures.
Ann is this the machine you paid $150 for on E-Bay - I thought the machine that someone purchased off of e-bay was a black FW? Am I confusing you with someone else? Geeze, this is so sad.

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Please help me identify my treadle. Here are the pics.

Thanks!
Suzanne
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164503.jpe   attachment-164504.jpe   attachment-164505.jpe   attachment-164523.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well the motor I can get for you but the busted hinge on the bed I can weld it back and repaint it but it would be easier to find another one and buy it. The motor will be close around $300 for a white one.

The parts that you have loose look like the pan screw and pin for the hinge maybe?

I am so sorry about the busted machine but it is fixable and you should be refunded for the entire purchase seeing that its close to $400 in damage. I hope it was insured for his sake.

Billy
Wow, no wonder the white FW's are so expensive if just the replacement motor runs $300! Is that because they are not really white, but a white with a green cast to them, which would make it almost impossible to get a black motor and paint it to match? Billy, would it be cheaper to just re-paint the machine and put a black motor on it?

Couldn't you just repaint/repair the whole machine and use that motor - or is the motor ruined?

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneTx

Thanks!
Suzanne
What is your serial number? It looks like a 66?

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Here's what she really had: a 'flip up' was a pristine two tone 301-A with attachments, in it's grass mat case. NICE. I WANT IT.

Her 99k, she had in a plain 'farmer' table, previous owner had painted it dark brown. She scraped all the paint off... yuck.

The 'green' machine was a 185J or something like that, peeling, not a happy machine. Old white plastic case, now yellowed. YUCK.

She dug out the "15-91". She swore up and down that that was what it was. I looked at the black leatherette case and said... "Mom, I can tell by the case it's not a 15-91. Let's get her out and open it up. As I expected, I opened it up and pulled out a BEAUTIFUL black 221 FW! MINTY. NICE. I REALLY WANT IT.

The rest of the machines were garbage singers. She must have had about 10 of them! ....
Geeze, does your MIL collect old machines or what? She has all these machines and she doesn't even know what she has?

You had to be honest -- you did what was right to do -- but, it is too bad you didn't get that FW. If you do ever get any of these machines, post them so we can see what you got. How did you MIL come by all these machines? And, what were the 'garbage' Singers. Another machine that is really nice to own is the Rocketeer Singer -- the 500 series machines. Did she have that one?

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneTx
Here's a quick way to ID Singers (other than the serial #)
http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#14
Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ann63
I wanted to cry but I didn't want my son to see me. I was so excited when he brought it in. I think my heart went to the floor when I took it out and the motor was hanging and the bed just fell out of the box.

How was it packed? (did you take a picture of that, too??)
Has the seller sold and shipped other machines? If so, please PM me his seller name.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Billy, or anyone, what do you know about the Morse company, other than it was started by the man who started Toyota?
I found a beige, Morse Apollo 6400 in pristine shape - not a scratch, at a thrift store and wondering if it's worth buying.
It's in a sad looking cabinet, but the machine looks clean and new.
The Morse sewing machine is widely used in industrial shops because they are such great machines. If the one you are looking at is all metal, it will outlast you and your grandkids. Those machines where built to last. I had a vintage Morse that I gave to a girlfriend. That machine is about 60 years old and sews perfect like most of the vintage machines. It takes a normal needle, nothing special and purrs. They are extremely heavy, but they were built to use and to last.
Nancy