Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I am addicted!! Looking for a FW but called on a nice looking Nechhi in a cabinet. DH will NOT understand but some of you do, right???? Love to have a Necchi
I do understand....:wink: :wink: but let me enable you a little....I belong to a Necchi Yahoo email list even though I don't own one....yet :mrgreen:
I thank you for feeding the addiction :thumbup: but DH will not!!!! :hunf: I have promised himI would only buy one more machine this year and this is not one that I mentioned.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Even I, just starting to educate my self on Vintage machines,
had to laugh at the price.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/atq/2154219772.html
That is just ridiculous! Geeze, do these people ever check out the ads to see what these machines go for? That is what causes people to think they have a prize and prices go up --but, they don't sell!

Nancy
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I keep hearing that ... But WHEN does it begin happening????

I've had to search and search for the three vintages I've found. And everyone I've asked to keep an eye open for bargain machines is looking for them, too!
I got my first vintage last spring - a Spartan -- loved it. I then picked up a Model 127 Sphinx treadle. Then I found a Singer 9W and a Model 15-88 treadle that had been listed and didn't sell -- I got them both for $100, and both of the machines and cabinets are in great shape. After that, we started going to garage sales and I just started finding machines really cheap. Around here the thrift stores are not so cheap for sewing machines, but the garage sales and estate sales are. Don't be afraid to try and talk the price down! I have found a couple on Craigslist, but I perfer the hunt when we are out doing garage sales and estate sales -- they fasinate me! The stuff most people try to sell, I give away or donate! You will have more machines than you need really fast if you start doing the garage/estate sale thing. Most people do not know what they have and they just want it gone!

Nancy
Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Anyone in central MA looking for a nice treadle cabinet (with machine)--this is listed in my local CL today:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/art/2166831751.html
The cabinet looks almost new or it may have been refinished. If the weather here wasn't so crappy (ice storm which followed 2 snowstorms) I would contact the seller to see if I could buy it tomorrow!
Geeze, that is a nice looking machine! I think the cabinet has been re-done, it looks to be in great shape. I bet you could get that machine for $50 - $60?

Nancy
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Brought home a Singer 329K in a cabinet for $20; picked up a Riccar in exchange for a working machine for free; DH found a Singer in a bentwood case for $20 - will put my Red Eye handcrank in the case and use the other for parts. Sold my Bernina 930 in cabinet. That all happened since Sunday. Makes me tired to think about it, lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Saw FW today for $320. Shop said it was a wonderful price b/c last week they sold one for $450. Am I crazy or is that an outrageous price for both machines? I want a FW and DH said yes so am in the market. Is $320 a good price? I don't think so but am willing to entertain others' thoughts.
I recently got a FW on EBay for $155.00. It only needed a new foot pedal. I really think you can find them at a very reasonable price.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Boopers
I recently got a FW on EBay for $155.00. It only needed a new foot pedal. I really think you can find them at a very reasonable price.
Boopers... do you sew on the machine (128?) in your avatar? How do you like the hand crank? Did you add the hand crank ?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM

MY 128 was my DM's and I found t in storage. I had it converted to a HC and I love it. I still have the electrical motor and wheel for it. Yes, I do sew on it and it is sew sweet. Hums.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Congrats on your FW bargain. The 128 is a neat machine. I also have one in the handcrank version in the bentwood case.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM

My 128 doesn't fit in the case with the HC on it.