Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
bkb

Does anyone know anything about a new home machine, Made by janome, model 532?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks Trish, your manuals are great but it is not my machine(Pathfinder by Davis) You can see it on page392. I really thank all you nice people on this board your help. I will keep researching and maybe I can find something on it one day. Thanks so much. Glenn
Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi all.. new vintage sewer wannabe here.

I have my grandmothers 1928? Singer, in walnut? table (cabinet #40). The book says it's a 66-6, "the first electrified model" using either DC or AC. The book has an issue date of June, 1928.

Back about 20 years ago, I plugged it's cloth covered cord into my regular outlet... and blew the mains, fused the cord, melted the plug. Scared me to death! I put it away, never touched it. But then about 5 years ago, I took it to a sew machine repair person (wicked heavy thing!) and he supposedly overhauled it, oiled, cleaned, replaced the cord/plug with a new one. And it worked - when I picked it up, he was stitching on it. But I have been still scared of it.

So, it's been sitting around for 5 years or so, not used. I think, after reading all these great comments, I'm ready to overcome my fears and attempt to use the machine. I think....

Should I? What do I do? Does it need a new cleaning/oiling now? It's dusty, (been kept closed in my sew room most of the time). But all the parts go around find when hand turning. Is the 66-6 worth using? Does it have a 'great straight stitch' like I hear some older Singers do? I just started quilting...

Thanks for any advice, encouragement, you have...
kim
If it has an external motor (which it should), give it a motorectomy (toss the motor), and then put the machine in a treadle. That is what I do! I have a box of motors. :)
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM

[quote=kwendt]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I see them every now and then, but don't know yet how to identify which are 'real' singers, versus fake branded singers, which are in good condition, which models, etc.

)
The wonderful world of internet has almost all your answers. This Singer site can help you if you have the serial number (which is the number found on the plate in the front): http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

And then there are so many sites from bloggers that share photos and information on machines that they own. I love Google for that! And then Needlebar, Treadleon, and Yahoo groups (for this machine or that machine) (which I'm not a member) have a wealth of information . I like to google for images of machines too.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM

How interchangable are the machines? [/quote]

Most Singer machines fit into a Singer Cabinet. Singer designed it that way.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...nets.html#1591
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I had one person give me a machine when she heard that I sew on vintage machines. She had saved it from heading to the dump. Some lady had two machines heads out on her sidewalk, that I picked up for free. Yup, the machines are just like the cats-they find you.

I keep hearing that ... But WHEN does it begin happening????

I've had to search and search for the three vintages I've found. And everyone I've asked to keep an eye open for bargain machines is looking for them, too!
Just keep checking Craigslist, everyday, that's where I've gotten lots of good bargains. I just put "sewing machine" into the search box and the list comes up. I also check out the neighboring city's CL's.
I picked up two free cabinets and machine that way.

Just keep looking daily on CLs and go to garage sales.
Anyone in central MA looking for a nice treadle cabinet (with machine)--this is listed in my local CL today:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/art/2166831751.html
The cabinet looks almost new or it may have been refinished. If the weather here wasn't so crappy (ice storm which followed 2 snowstorms) I would contact the seller to see if I could buy it tomorrow!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM

I am addicted!! Looking for a FW but called on a nice looking Nechhi in a cabinet. DH will NOT understand but some of you do, right???? Love to have a Necchi but don't know if DH will blow his top over this machine. I would love to look at it in person. I hear so much good stuff about them. It has a nice cabinet, too.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Just keep checking Craigslist, everyday, that's where I've gotten lots of good bargains. I just put "sewing machine" into the search box and the list comes up. I also check out the neighboring city's CL's.
Thanks for the helpful tip. I never thought of that option until I saw your tip. Used it tonite to find some beauties.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I am addicted!! Looking for a FW but called on a nice looking Nechhi in a cabinet. DH will NOT understand but some of you do, right???? Love to have a Necchi
I do understand....:wink: :wink: but let me enable you a little....I belong to a Necchi Yahoo email list even though I don't own one....yet :mrgreen:
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Not around Houston!
CL's prices for "antiques" are ridiculously high (a 201 for $250; a 66 treadle in iffy condition for $140, etc., etc., )