Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boopers
MY 128 was my DM's and I found t in storage. I had it converted to a HC and I love it. I still have the electrical motor and wheel for it. Yes, I do sew on it and it is sew sweet. Hums.

I've just bought a crinkle finish 128 (born in 1941). It needs rewiring, so I was thinking about putting on a hand crank and figured I'd have to sacrifice the bentwood case.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH's thrift shop find, the mocha 301 runs like a top but needs a good cleaning. It's the short bed, no accessories but does have the bobbin case, that's worth alot to me. And it is in a really nice wooden cabinet. I have no idea where I'm gonna put this machine. This makes my 22nd machine counting my longarm quilting machine. All are vintage except my longarm and my Brother NX600. I just love them all and DH is so good at cleaning them up and getting them to run smoothly (all except for the 306k, which he should never have touched) hahaha
You could put it in my sewing room :mrgreen:

I am looking for either a 15-91 or a 301...wish our thrift shops had little hidden gems...
How can you tell what's a 15-91? from the others? SN? label somewhere? Gosh, I might have just passed one up in a local thrift store, it was in a banged up travel case... $45.
My basic understanding of the series 15's:
15-91 = electric motor - no belt - gear driven
15-90 & 15-30 = electric motor - belt driven
15-98 = crank
15-96 = treadle
(there are some other series 15 models #'s - these, I think, are the most "common")
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Boopers
I recently got a FW on EBay for $155.00. It only needed a new foot pedal. I really think you can find them at a very reasonable price.
Yes, I got a 1953 FW for $75, plus a new foot pedal and cord another $24 because the owner thought the machine was no good - burned up. Vintagemotif found me this machine, but these deals are extremely rare! She is now named Monica after Vintagemotif and she sews like a dream, has all the attachments, nice case. She is my go to class machine. I also have a 1935 FW in great shape that also sews great, but because the 1935 is one of the first FW's, I don't want to use her much. And, now my white 1964, whom I have in hiding, I think I got for a steal at $250. The white ones usually go for around $400 or more if you can find one around here. I have seen them on E-bay sold for a lot more than I paid.

Nancy
Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

I've just bought a crinkle finish 128 (born in 1941). It needs rewiring, so I was thinking about putting on a hand crank and figured I'd have to sacrifice the bentwood case.
I put a HC on my Singer 15-88 treadle and love it. When I am treadling it gets a little noisey, but I have so much more control when I am FMQting. I can use the HC to sew around something small and tedious and use the treadle for the big stuff. I got my HC from Billy -- I wish all my treadles had a HC, but then most of them probably wouldn't fit down in the cabinet?

Nancy
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

Not around Houston!
CL's prices for "antiques" are ridiculously high (a 201 for $250; a 66 treadle in iffy condition for $140, etc., etc., )
Every treadle I have bought off of Craigslist was advertised for $100 to $150. The most I have paid is $75 and most of them I got for $50 to $65. They just don't sell for what most people originally want.

Nancy
Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Today they reduced it so I couldnt leave it
its a singer 27 made in 1897

Now you ready for how much!!!
it was originally 8.00$ but that was to much cus I didnt need or have room for it. Then it went down to 5.00$ but I still didnt buy it cus it was not something I needed. lol Today I walk in it and it was 1.00$!!!!!!!! I couldnt leave it at that price! Its decals are a little worse for wear but the head is in doog shape working wise. And they had the arm pin cushion on it so it has pin scratches and pin wholes! She came with 2 shuttles and 4 bobbins. Dont know what I am going to name her yet
Congratulations on your $1 machine! She looks complete and you will love sewing with her when you get a treadle to put her in!

Nancy
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 AM

Nancy what is a HC? Kathie
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
My girlfriend who lives near the location is bringing her Pfaff 3/4 treadle along for me, and I will probably take a Japanese Class 15 HC conversion along "just in case". I am dropping off a parlor treadle in Nashville, and MIGHT take along an unusual Kenmore treadle for sale.

I was advised against it, as it seems most people wind up filling up the storage unit and then refilling their houses, but it has helped me to sort out a lot of things I don't want. I've donated a lot, sold some, given away a ton of stuff. I feel a bit lighter every day.
Miz Johnny do you ever take an electric machine to retreat? Like a FW (I know you sold yours) or one of your other vintage electric machines? Is seems like so much trouble to try and load treadles and here you are loading at least two! I love my treadles, but I'd be afraid I'd hurt the cabinet loading and unloading it -- besides, I always have stuff in the drawers that I'd have to take out. It would be nice if the retreats had a couple treadle bases that treadle people could use -- just bring a head.

Nancy
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by redpurselady
. And they are sooo cute! :-)
Redpurselady, Do you wear red shoes? I think you should! I picture you with your red purse in one arm and your red FW in the other. If you don't wear red shoes, you need to find some red sneakers.
I don't have red shoes although I do have some red sandals! I have a red coat, red car, red umbrella, lots of red purses (don't use any other color purse) and my DH (and probably other people) thinks I'm looloo :lol:
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy what is a HC? Kathie
HC is hand crank.