Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 350 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 250 300 340 349 350 351 360 400 450 850 1350 ... LastLast
Results 8,726 to 8,750 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Nancy, Are your horses Arabians?
    I have 2 Arabs, 3 quarter horses, 1 paint, 1 half Gypsy Vanner and half paint, and 1 American Shetland pony.

That picture is Gipsy Vanner/paint, Stormy; gray Arab, Annabelle; black quarter horse, Sammy; and chestnut Arab, Mariah. The black quarter horse is 29 years old and I have had him all his life. Mariah is 21 and I got her when she was 4. Stormy was born here, she is 4. Annabelle came when she was a yearling, she is 13. I have another 29 year old quarter horse that was my Dad's last horse, not pictured, and 2 horses that are 7 and 8 both born here, BoJangles and Buckshot. My pony is 14 and I've had him since he was 2.
    They are our family. The horses, 4 chihuahuas, a jack russell, and 4 cats!

Nancy
    Cool! I love your family. I asked because I thought one or two were Arabians. My sister was once married to a Griffith; whose mom, Barbara Griffith, was one of the pioneers in importing the breed known as a Straight Egyptian Arabian (I believe she was the first). I remember visiting the farm with my sister and her daughters. Barbara's horses were beautiful. Most of the Arabian horses here in the States most likely come from offspring of her horses. She died this past October. Well, I love your horses. And that is why I asked. Just reminiscing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann63
    I received my Featherweight from Ebay. The motor was broke off and a piece was also broke off the bed. The Seller asked me to find out how much it cost to fix it. He said it must have got damaged during shipping. I sent Billy a PM. Here are the pictures.
    Sorry about the machine. But we were wondering if you happened to have the serial number of the machine on the listing and then compared it with the machine you received. Also do you still have a picture of the orginial listing? If you do I would save it. Just a suggestion. Would you please post the seller so we can beware of him/her.
    This was an excellent suggestion Trish!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Nancy, How to do you find time to quillt and play with your machines with all those animals in your family? glenn
    LOL!!!! I make time!! I get up very early to sew before my DH gets up! I love the first 1 to 2 hours alone in my sewing room! I guess, when you grow up with horses and all the work they entail, it just seems normal! I have never been without horses -- so I don't know any other way! Makes a very busy life! We love it!

I just came in from cleaning and oiling my newest addition. The "Free #5" in a parlor cabinet. I don't think I will use this machine. I don't want to mess up the decals! But, of course, I will make sure she does sew! I will try and get some new pictures posted soon.

Monica, what is the serial number on your Free machine? Mine is a 1913 machine.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Cool! I love your family. I asked because I thought one or two were Arabians. My sister was once married to a Griffith; whose mom, Barbara Griffith, was one of the pioneers in importing the breed known as a Straight Egyptian Arabian (I believe she was the first). I remember visiting the farm with my sister and her daughters. Barbara's horses were beautiful. Most of the Arabian horses here in the States most likely come from offspring of her horses. She died this past October. Well, I love your horses. And that is why I asked. Just reminiscing.
    Wow! The chestnut Arab, Mariah, is Egyptian. The gray Arab, Annabelle is a Polish Arabian! Very different personalities! I have heard of the Griffith family, but I don't follow my horses heritage that closely. The Egyptian Arabs are very high strung horses, the Polish Arabs are much more laid back -- at least, that is the case with my two Arabians!

Thank you for asking.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
    I am jealous, Love your family!!
    LOL! I bet you'd get over that jealousy very quickly after cleaning 8 stalls twice a day! Not too many people would envy that!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Nancy, I did not grow up with horses but cows. Did a lot of milking in my youth, we did it by hand then not by milking machines. Of course we had horses but they were work horses so I did not have much to do with them. I guess that is why I went to University and spent 25 years in the Army. I now have time to play with my machines and quilt. By the way I have finished the
    Americana quilt top including the marking for hand quilting and will put the batting and backing together soon. Will be waiting to see pic of the parlor machine. Glenn

Blog Entries
    How do I find out about a Kenmore Machine that has the M# of 148273 and S#08478. This machine is black and has decals on it. I will try to take pictures of these tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Just have to love them enough I guess. You sure seem to fit that bill !! I love all animals especially the big Cats, lions, tigers, etc. A friend once asked if I was related to Tarzan. LOL

Blog Entries

Monica, what is the serial number on your Free machine? Mine is a 1913 machine.
    Nancy
    My number is G240726 or that G is a O -hard to tell. The patented dates are June14 1910, Oct 10 1911, but then you can't always go by that.
    Where do you find information on the serial numbers? Please post a link, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Found a couple of treadles at an antique place out of town. One is a Wheeler and Wilson #9 in great shape and the other is a very early Davis with fancy irons. Can't make up my mind which I want, no room for both.

Blog Entries
    Nancy, I did not grow up with horses but cows. Did a lot of milking in my youth, we did it by hand then not by milking machines. Of course we had horses but they were work horses so I did not have much to do with them. I guess that is why I went to University and spent 25 years in the Army. I now have time to play with my machines and quilt. By the way I have finished the Americana quilt top including the marking for hand quilting and will put the batting and backing together soon. Will be waiting to see pic of the parlor machine. Glenn
    Glenn, I can't wait to see your Americana quilt.

We always had cows growing up. My Dad was a cowboy. We ran cows and always had horses to work those cows.

How did you get into quilting after being in the Army 25 years?

Nancy

Hi Cathy, Thank you for the welcome & also the info you supplied. This web site is certainly a wealth of info & now we are even more excited to get started on our restoration. Happy Quilting, Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Found a couple of treadles at an antique place out of town. One is a Wheeler and Wilson #9 in great shape and the other is a very early Davis with fancy irons. Can't make up my mind which I want, no room for both.
    Goolly Gee!!!!!! I'd want both of them! I love my Wheeler & Wilson #9 machine! That machine is just so manly to me! I would also love to have that Davis!

Ok you guys, I cleaned up my Davis some more yesterday with oil after reading that here. Guess what? Before I realized it, my Betty did not say DA anymore. The DA was the only part of Davis left on the front! The back says VIS the DA is missing -- it must be where the orginal owner always grabbed the machine! It was funny - front DA, back VIS! Now no DA, but on a good note Betty is very shinning so I don't know if I am happy or sick! Look at page 474, there was a DA, now nothing! Geeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am sick!!!!!!!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
    Just have to love them enough I guess. You sure seem to fit that bill !! I love all animals especially the big Cats, lions, tigers, etc. A friend once asked if I was related to Tarzan. LOL
    Yes, we love them. And, yes you have to be an animal lover to put up with all their work and foolishness! Yes, we love all animals too! Animals bring such joy to our lives! I hope we outlive them (my youngest horse is 4, she could live 30 more years), because I never sell one of my horses. This is why we have 8 now. I had 10, 2 were inherited from my Dad when he left us. They only leave me when they are ready to go to greener pastures!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann63
    I haven't heard from the seller since I contacted PayPal.

The seller have 100% rating, that's why I did bid on the machine. A lot of his items appear to be estate items, such as glass items, comic books and I did another sewing machine listed by this seller. I read the reviews which were good. I had no reason to think the machine would be in the condition I recieved it in.
    Ann63, what condition was the packaging in when the machine arrived? Was the box it arrived in smashed, damaged? Did you take pictures? Did you document everything? How was the machine described in the ad? In good shape, excellent shape?
    If the box your machine arrived in was not damaged, you have a very good case against the seller.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Well, after looking at my Davis in the daylight, I am not so concerned about loosing the 'DA' on the front. The whole machine looks new, shiny; and the dull patchy look where it was still dirty in some spots with nice shiny finish in other spots is gone. It is even and it shines!
    There wasn't much of the decals left anyway; and, I don't like the dull spotty look like the finish is coming off in spots.

Nancy

Well, after looking at my Davis in the daylight, I am not so concerned about loosing the 'DA' on the front. The whole machine looks new, shiny; and the dull patchy look where it was still dirty in some spots with nice shiny finish in other spots is gone. It is even and it shines!
    There wasn't much of the decals left anyway; and, I don't like the dull spotty look like the finish is coming off in spots.

Nancy
    Post pictures!!!!! I wanna see!

Blog Entries
    [quote=vintagemotif]

My number is G240726 or that G is a O -hard to tell. The patented dates are June14 1910, Oct 10 1911, but then you can't always go by that.
    Where do you find information on the serial numbers? Please post a link, thanks.
    Monica, I have not found a dating site for the Free, but my machine had a newspaper clipping dated November 1913. The serial number on my machine is C83642. The patent numbers start with Feb 11, 02 and end May 20, 13. With the newspaper clipping, I think I can safely assume it is a 1913 machine.

Geeze, it doesn't make sense that your machine has the last patent date of 1911, but your serial number is in the 200 thousands while mine is in the 80 thousands? I know slide plates can be switched, so we have no way of knowing if that slide plate is the original one. But, unlike the Davis the serial number of my Free is on the actual machine bed like a Singer has theirs. I thought all the manufacturers used numbers in sequence to date the machines? Interesting.

Nancy

[quote=BoJangles]

Monica, I have not found a dating site for the Free, but my machine had a newspaper clipping dated November 1913. The serial number on my machine is C83642. The patent numbers start with Feb 11, 02 and end May 20, 13. With the newspaper clipping, I think I can safely assume it is a 1913 machine.

Geeze, it doesn't make sense that your machine has the last patent date of 1911, but your serial number is in the 200 thousands while mine is in the 80 thousands? I know slide plates can be switched, so we have no way of knowing if that slide plate is the original one. But, unlike the Davis the serial number of my Free is on the actual machine bed like a Singer has theirs. I thought all the manufacturers used numbers in sequence to date the machines? Interesting.

Nancy
    Would someone over at Treadleon have some input on this? I know that when companies were bought out... the model numbers changed, even if the cast pieces were still badged with the old name (thinking of when Singer bought out N&W). ??? I don't know enough yet about all of that. But someone over at Treadleon would, I bet.

Blog Entries
    Nancy, My grandmother taught me to quilt, knit, embroidery and crochet when I was in grade school. I lived with my grandparents for several years. I hated learning because I want to play ball with my friends. She made do needle work about an hour a day. She said even guys have to know how to mend and sew buttons. I am glad she did now. I have made my wife formal dresses to go to military balls and things. I do not make clothes now but do quilt and the needle work as stated above. Just something I have always done. I have posted things I have done in the past. You can search them if you want to see. Glenn

Blog Entries
    Here is our 128 machine with crinkle finish and black slide plates. We call her Vicky after the lady we bought her from. Today DH put a hand crank on her and I tried sewing and she sews like the champ that she is. First time I have ever hc in my life. Vicky is a 1951 model she had a motor but I think she will stay as a hc.

Vicky
    Name:  Attachment-166283.jpe
Views: 111
Size:  53.8 KB

Vicky sporting a new Hand Crank
    Name:  Attachment-166291.jpe
Views: 99
Size:  45.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Nancy, My grandmother taught me to quilt, knit, embroidery and crochet when I was in grade school. I lived with my grandparents for several years. I hated learning because I want to play ball with my friends. She made do needle work about an hour a day. She said even guys have to know how to mend and sew buttons. I am glad she did now. I have made my wife formal dresses to go to military balls and things. I do not make clothes now but do quilt and the needle work as stated above. Just something I have always done. I have posted things I have done in the past. You can search them if you want to see. Glenn
    Wow, a grandmother after my own heart! We have 5 grandsons that all know how to sew because when they stay here, and it is too cold to go outside, I give them projects to sew! They all think it is really fun to get to sew. They have made reverse applique' pillows, placemats, felt leaf shaped fabric bowls for Thanksgiving decorations, book covers, curtains for their tree house Grampa built, fabric/quilted bags to put their clothes in, and 3 of them made a lap sized quilt! I too think the boys should know their way around a sewing machine because now a days most girls don't know how to sew on a button! LOL! Besides, this is my way of keeping the kids out of Grampa's hair. Plus it is easier on me than always having to clean up horses, saddle up, and take all of them riding everyday! I get a break!

Glenn, I am really impressed! Making formals for your wife! Wow, I guess I shouldn't be so impressed, though, as most of the best tailors were men!
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Nancy, and fashion designer's are mostly men. It's really their craft cuz they are really good at it. But, they think the same of us (ladies) when we go into their fun park (auto mechanics).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Well, I don't know what machines you own or your reason for collecting. Do you sew with your machines? Do you own Singer treadle? If you don't want another treadle because of lack of room, then the Wheeler and Wilson can fit into another Singer cabinet (At least mine does). The Davis is a different story. Seems Davis machines only fit into Davis cabinets and some older Davis only fit into older Davis cabinets. The Davis Vertical Feeds are that way from what I have read. But then one can always do what Billy has done, and make a special top that has a generic cut out to hold machines that have a special form fitting frame ( I really like this method, a project for me in the future). Then you can rotate the machines. If you can't do this project may be there is some Eagle Scout or Boy Scout that can help you. If the Davis is a Vertical Feed, I would go with that just because it is a machine the operates differently from others. I'm fascinated by machines that operate differently. To me they are a piece of mechanical art. Which is why I went after the National Two Spools and the Davis New Vertical Feed machines, I wanted a part of mechanical art history to own and play with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Here is our 128 machine with crinkle finish and black slide plates. We call her Vicky after the lady we bought her from. Today DH put a hand crank on her and I tried sewing and she sews like the champ that she is. First time I have ever hc in my life. Vicky is a 1951 model she had a motor but I think she will stay as a hc.
    Trish, I like your Vicki. Very pretty with the HC! Thanks for sharing.