Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 351 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 350 351 352 361 401 451 851 1351 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #8751
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    [quote=BoJangles]
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu

    Ok you guys, I cleaned up my Davis some more yesterday with oil after reading that here. Guess what? Before I realized it, my Betty did not say DA anymore. The DA was the only part of Davis left on the front! The back says VIS the DA is missing -- it must be where the orginal owner always grabbed the machine! It was funny - front DA, back VIS! Now no DA, but on a good note Betty is very shinning so I don't know if I am happy or sick! Look at page 474, there was a DA, now nothing! Geeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am sick!!!!!!!

    Nancy
    Well, I joined the Yahoo Davis group and read all the posts last night.
    I asked my question about how to handle the cleaning, and someone answered back. What I learned was that oil should not take the decals off, but what can is too much wiping. So, if the decals are exposed (no shellac protection) or the shellac has turned cloudy or damaged, then if you clean with a cotton ball you should only wipe over once with the cotton ball because the cotton ball will pick up dirt and/or shellac and that dirt on the cotton ball will now act as an abrasive and scratch the decals if you were to wipe over the decals again. Which means you could wipe off the decals. I believe it is best just to clean around the decals with a Q-tip.

  2. #8752
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Ooops.. I was supposed to quote vintagemotif here:

    Are you talking about linseed oil or a different kind? I would like to know b/c I have several that need cleaning and would like to preserve the decals. I was working on a test machine before the carpal tunnel surgery so am cleaning vicariously through this thread. :)

  3. #8753
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Ooops.. I was supposed to quote vintagemotif here:

    Are you talking about linseed oil or a different kind? I would like to know b/c I have several that need cleaning and would like to preserve the decals. I was working on a test machine before the carpal tunnel surgery so am cleaning vicariously through this thread. :)
    I'm only going to use Singer sewing machine oil, no other oil.

  4. #8754
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Ooops.. I was supposed to quote vintagemotif here:

    Are you talking about linseed oil or a different kind? I would like to know b/c I have several that need cleaning and would like to preserve the decals. I was working on a test machine before the carpal tunnel surgery so am cleaning vicariously through this thread. :)
    I'm only going to use Singer sewing machine oil, no other oil.
    That works to clean up the gunk and whatever off an old machine? Am curious since I have 2 bottles b/c I forgot I had one already when purchasing the 2nd one.

  5. #8755
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6
    [quote=vintagemotif]
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu

    Ok you guys, I cleaned up my Davis some more yesterday with oil after reading that here. Guess what? Before I realized it, my Betty did not say DA anymore. The DA was the only part of Davis left on the front! The back says VIS the DA is missing -- it must be where the orginal owner always grabbed the machine! It was funny - front DA, back VIS! Now no DA, but on a good note Betty is very shinning so I don't know if I am happy or sick! Look at page 474, there was a DA, now nothing! Geeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am sick!!!!!!!

    Nancy
    Well, I joined the Yahoo Davis group and read all the posts last night.
    I asked my question about how to handle the cleaning, and someone answered back. What I learned was that oil should not take the decals off, but what can is too much wiping. So, if the decals are exposed (no shellac protection) or the shellac has turned cloudy or damaged, then if you clean with a cotton ball you should only wipe over once with the cotton ball because the cotton ball will pick up dirt and/or shellac and that dirt on the cotton ball will now act as an abrasive and scratch the decals if you were to wipe over the decals again. Which means you could wipe off the decals. I believe it is best just to clean around the decals with a Q-tip.
    Do you have a link to the Davis Yahoo group? I'd like to look it over. (Not sure I can spend the time on another forum, but would like to see about it anyway!) Thanks.

  6. #8756
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    187
    RE: a 301A . .Hello everyone, including of course, Mr. Billie. . .I am still reading, enjoying and learning! I have located a singer 301a and the man that has it says the post that holds the needle is broken. Isn't that a main shaft? Would it be a part that can be replaced and how common is it for that part to break? Could it have caused more parts to be affected? Need to know whether or not to look at it any further. He is asking $65 in cabinet, which seems quite high to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx for any input. Brenda

  7. #8757
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Well, I joined the Yahoo Davis group and read all the posts last night.
    I asked my question about how to handle the cleaning, and someone answered back. What I learned was that oil should not take the decals off, but what can is too much wiping. So, if the decals are exposed (no shellac protection) or the shellac has turned cloudy or damaged, then if you clean with a cotton ball you should only wipe over once with the cotton ball because the cotton ball will pick up dirt and/or shellac and that dirt on the cotton ball will now act as an abrasive and scratch the decals if you were to wipe over the decals again. Which means you could wipe off the decals. I believe it is best just to clean around the decals with a Q-tip.
    I saw the Davis Yahoo group a couple months ago, but I too don't really have time for another group. Maybe, I should reconsider this one?

    Yes, sewing machine oil will clean the machines and make them shine. I doubt the oil can take most decals off, but the Davis machines seem to not have as good a finish over those decals as the Singers do. Anyway, I used cotton balls and oil. I was careful to get clean cotton balls as I kept cleaning. I think the decals came off because they were not protected, and not put on very good in the first place. I read somewhere that Davis had great machines, but the finish on their machines had 'shoddy work practices." I assume that meant that people had trouble with the decals coming off? My decals are completely gone, they are not silver like over-cleaning a Singer ends up. This tells me, the decals were not on very good to begin with?

    Monica, that is really good about not using your dirty cotton balls over decals. My cotton balls from cleaning Betty last night were black! I was very careful, so I thought, about not going over the decals with the dirty cotton balls. Anyway, Betty is clean and she looks much better all shiny then she looked with part of a decal and dull.

    Please inform us if you find out any more interesting things from the Yahoo Davis group.

    I will post pictures.
    Nancy

  8. #8758
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Here is our 128 machine with crinkle finish and black slide plates. We call her Vicky after the lady we bought her from. Today DH put a hand crank on her and I tried sewing and she sews like the champ that she is. First time I have ever hc in my life. Vicky is a 1951 model she had a motor but I think she will stay as a hc.
    Very nice crinkle Trish! Can you put the top on that case with the HC attached? I'd keep the HC too! Just think you could sew on her anywhere - no extension cords to trip over!

    Nancy

  9. #8759
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Found a couple of treadles at an antique place out of town. One is a Wheeler and Wilson #9 in great shape and the other is a very early Davis with fancy irons. Can't make up my mind which I want, no room for both.
    I agree with Vintagemotif, if you can only get one, get the Davis. I'd still get the Davis even if you don't already have another treadle at this time. You won't have any problems finding a Singer, or White, or one of the other types of treadles - they are everywhere. Finding a Davis is hard! They don't pop up so often! A really nice Wheeler & Wilson is not so common either, but the Davis is unique in the way it feeds the fabric with no feed dogs.

    Nancy

  10. #8760
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Who made an Empire machine? There is one on craigslist. Looks to be in good condition - is it light green? Nice looking machine with a big harp.

  11. #8761
    Senior Member Weedwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    393
    Big favor, anyone who has a Davis VF machine please tell me what page the picture is on. I'm going to look at one first thing weds morning and I would like to see some pics and things I should be aware of before I see it. I'm all kinds of excited. TIA

  12. #8762
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have two grandson and taught them to sew and one is showing interest in quilting. Look at the thread Ok guys lets show the ladies some of our quilts. It will give you a good idea of what I do in my spare time when I am not working on my 200 year old house. Glenn
    PS I agree grandmothers or grandfathers should teach the grandkids how to sew.

  13. #8763
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    [

    Do you have a link to the Davis Yahoo group? I'd like to look it over. (Not sure I can spend the time on another forum, but would like to see about it anyway!) Thanks.
    It is the Yahoo Davis_vf group. If you wish to share information on your machine, model, serial #, patent,etc, they are collecting that information.
    There isn't a lot of chatter on that board, which is why I could read the entire messages from July 2009 until present last night.

  14. #8764
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Big favor, anyone who has a Davis VF machine please tell me what page the picture is on. I'm going to look at one first thing weds morning and I would like to see some pics and things I should be aware of before I see it. I'm all kinds of excited. TIA
    This is what the Davis NVF looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #8765
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I clean my Featherweights with Carnuba Auto Wax all the time. It does not change the decals on them.
    I think that is because the shellac or varnish hasn't been damaged. Plus, the FWs are younger machines and Singer shellac seems to hold up better from what I have noticed. It could be because of having more layers on them (don't know). I have read that if the shellac is damaged, crackled or bubbled, then while cleaning the decals can quickly turn. This turning of silver doesn't seem to happen during the waxing time.
    The later FW's were shot in enamel paints and were a lot better than the japan/shellac of years past. I want to think 1956 was the first year Singer used enamel paints exclusively but dont hold me to that because it might be off a year or so.

    Billy

  16. #8766
    Senior Member kwendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal Florida
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2learn
    RE: a 301A . .Hello everyone, including of course, Mr. Billie. . .I am still reading, enjoying and learning! I have located a singer 301a and the man that has it says the post that holds the needle is broken. Isn't that a main shaft? Would it be a part that can be replaced and how common is it for that part to break? Could it have caused more parts to be affected? Need to know whether or not to look at it any further. He is asking $65 in cabinet, which seems quite high to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx for any input. Brenda
    If the cabinet he's got it in is the trapazoidal cabinet in good condition, you might consider it anyway. Billy can prob. tell you how to fix the machine. The cabinet, and the special carrier plate that you need for the cabinet to hold the 301 so that it snaps in and out with ease... are worth a bunch. If it's the trap. one. I would try to talk him down though.
    :lol: :lol:

  17. #8767
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Big favor, anyone who has a Davis VF machine please tell me what page the picture is on. I'm going to look at one first thing weds morning and I would like to see some pics and things I should be aware of before I see it. I'm all kinds of excited. TIA
    Here is my Davis VF which I think is a little older than Vintagemotif.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  18. #8768
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Do you sew with your machines? Do you own Singer treadle? If you don't want another treadle because of lack of room, then the Wheeler and Wilson can fit into another Singer cabinet. The Davis is a different story. Seems Davis machines only fit into Davis cabinets and some older Davis only fit into older Davis cabinets. The Davis Vertical Feeds are that way from what I have read.

    Right now I have a Damascus and a Mason treadle. My Red Eye is a handcrank. I do sew projects through TreadleOn. The Davis is very old, has fancy irons, says Davis Sewing Machine Co. on the treadle foot iron.

  19. #8769
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Do you sew with your machines? Do you own Singer treadle? If you don't want another treadle because of lack of room, then the Wheeler and Wilson can fit into another Singer cabinet. The Davis is a different story. Seems Davis machines only fit into Davis cabinets and some older Davis only fit into older Davis cabinets. The Davis Vertical Feeds are that way from what I have read.

    Right now I have a Damascus and a Mason treadle. My Red Eye is a handcrank. I do sew projects through TreadleOn. The Davis is very old, has fancy irons, says Davis Sewing Machine Co. on the treadle foot iron.
    Some of the Damascus cabinets are gorgeous with their ornate work. Do you own one of those gorgeous cabinets? I have never seen a Mason on my wanderings through vintage sewing blog land. I would still go with the Davis.

  20. #8770
    Senior Member kwendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal Florida
    Posts
    956
    So I have been researching old Singers, trying to educate myself so that I will know a RARE one when i see it at someone's garage sale... :mrgreen: I have run across a mention of two more, but there's not much written about them... (except perhaps at needle site, which I cannot access yet).

    One is a ??? 27? that has OWL decals. It's the decals that don't seem so common. Anyone know what approx. years/models they used these for? Is it indeed rare?

    The other one was mentioned as a floating bird detail/RAF decal. Some sort of model 15s but also on others too? Again, is it rare?

    What would you expect to pay for each one? Just a ball park figure... so I can file it away in my head JUST in case i'm as lucky as Jan at falling into wonderful deals/steals. lol

  21. #8771
    Senior Member kwendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal Florida
    Posts
    956
    BTW... someone just posted a Damascas treadle for $60 here in south florida... JIC... anyone wants to know...

    <smile>

  22. #8772
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Big favor, anyone who has a Davis VF machine please tell me what page the picture is on. I'm going to look at one first thing weds morning and I would like to see some pics and things I should be aware of before I see it. I'm all kinds of excited. TIA
    My pics are on 533, I think.

  23. #8773
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    [quote=Randa]
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Big favor, anyone who has a Davis VF machine please tell me what page the picture is on. I'm going to look at one first thing weds morning and I would like to see some pics and things I should be aware of before I see it. I'm all kinds of excited. TIA

    My pics are on 533, I think.
    My Davis Vertical feed is on page 474.

    Nancy

  24. #8774
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt

    One is a ??? 27? that has OWL decals. It's the decals that don't seem so common. Anyone know what approx. years/models they used these for? Is it indeed rare?

    The other one was mentioned as a floating bird detail/RAF decal. Some sort of model 15s but also on others too? Again, is it rare?

    What would you expect to pay for each one? Just a ball park figure... so I can file it away in my head JUST in case i'm as lucky as Jan at falling into wonderful deals/steals. lol
    Here is a site that will help you identify singers decals. The owl, according to Needlebar was only used on Model 15 between 1894 and 1898. The RAF was also used on Model 15's between 1934 -1960 +. The price you'd expect to pay for these would be no more than any vintage machine - depends on what shape the machine/cabinet are in? Of course, the Model 15 with an owl in good shape would be considerably more, due to the fact that that machine was only produced for such a short time, than a Model 15 with the RAF.

    http://needlebar.org/main~nb/singdecs/index.html

    Nancy

  25. #8775
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles

    Miz Johnny, I'd love to live close enough to you to see your machines! I also have a 99K, but of course mine still has a cord attached. Your 99K looks great as a hand crank.

    Nancy
    I wish you lived close enough to come and take some HOME with you.
    I do! Any chance you have a 201? Preferably old enough to have a scroll plate.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.