Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 301 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 201 251 291 300 301 302 311 351 401 801 1301 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,525 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    here are some pix, we are storing a laundry basket on top of it until we fix it (gotta have someplace to store the extra blankets when I have no closets in this house!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    My knees are banged up and one lung hurts, but nothing too serious. The airbags activating was terrible, but I guess I should appreciate them. Luckily, no one was in my car except me and the driver of the truck wasn't injured either. The big Ford 4x4 sustained more damage than my Buick.
    I once rear-ended someone while driving a Buick station wagon. Not a scratch on the wagon, but the car I hit was a real mess. (Not my finest hour; told only to celebrate the sturdiness of a Buick!)

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    OH, but I did buy several of those tool sorting cabinets, you know like for screws and such...they are FULL of parts for vintage singer machines...even treadles!
    Fabulous!! Now we know where to go when we're missing a part!

Hi, I'm new here but I have been reading this thread till my eyes are crossed lol.

My grandmother gave me her old treadle machine about 15 years ago and it has been sitting in my spare room for about that long. I decided I wanted to clean it up and see if it could still work. Now I'm getting obsessed with this thing!

It is really dirty but it works! I am gonna start really doing some heavy duty cleaning this weekend and I'm really excited.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Fabric Whisperer is that a real lizard? I love your Avator.

Nancy
    Yup, he's one of 5, he's a bearded dragon, we named him "Crash" because when he runs around the livingroom, he crashes into the piano, crashes into the couch, crashes into us... he's a little lovey. He's just a couple inches shy of 2-feet long :) and weighs about 1.5 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    It started stitching backward (the feeddogs are running backward we surmise) but the reverse mode is not engaged. Not sure what happened? 12-y.o. daughter and I cleaned the dustbunnies off it, and literally carried it a few blocks home... what a find for her to have a personal machine.

What on earth would make a machine start "running backward"? It's an Elgin Model #2468, and I'd so love to get it running for her, I don't trust her with my good Husq's.
    I don't know anything about your machine, but I know this will happen on some machines with a cracked cam stack. I've had it happen with Vikings.

Banned
    here are some pix, we are storing a laundry basket on top of it until we fix it (gotta have someplace to store the extra blankets when I have no closets in this house!)
    That is a really nice machine!! It favors a White that I sold not long ago, it had the same basic design and the dual spool holder on the rear was the same. I am thinking this was possibly badged by the Jaguar Sewing Machine company. Are there any JA or JC numbers on the machine. One will be stamped or inked on the side of the bed and the other will be cast into the bed. Also is there any other markings under the bed of the machine like on the shafts or anything that might look like a logo.

Billy

Banned

Nancy
    Yup, he's one of 5, he's a bearded dragon, we named him "Crash" because when he runs around the livingroom, he crashes into the piano, crashes into the couch, crashes into us... he's a little lovey. He's just a couple inches shy of 2-feet long :) and weighs about 1.5 pounds
    Thats a cool little lizard!! And he is beautiful!!!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lewlew
    Hi, I'm new here but I have been reading this thread till my eyes are crossed lol.

My grandmother gave me her old treadle machine about 15 years ago and it has been sitting in my spare room for about that long. I decided I wanted to clean it up and see if it could still work. Now I'm getting obsessed with this thing!

It is really dirty but it works! I am gonna start really doing some heavy duty cleaning this weekend and I'm really excited.
    LOL I know the feeling if I miss a few days I am like Whoa!! I can only imagine what it is like if you just join in and want to read the whole thing.

But you have a great machine and they are so soothing to use. Do you have the treadle for it or are you looking for one. If your looking for one there are a lot of them showing up on CL and can be had for cheap. A Model 27 was my first machine and it looked just like yours. After some TLC I made it into a nice machine.

Billy

I have the treadle and cabinet and everything. I took it off to start cleaning it but before I did that I wanted to see if it still would move/turn and it DID.. almost like it did 30 some odd years ago when I was a kid playing on it at my Grandma's house. She used to give me scrap peices of and let me sew. I didn't know exactly what I was doing but I sure did make a lot fabric stick together haha.

The book: "The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines" by Carter Bays .... do you collectors consider this a book worth having?

And, if so, is the latest (2006) edition necessarily the best edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Are there any JA or JC numbers on the machine. One will be stamped or inked on the side of the bed and the other will be cast into the bed. Also is there any other markings under the bed of the machine like on the shafts or anything that might look like a logo.
    Couldn't find any logo stamped, but I did find this, does this tell you anything? I would just love to see if I can get this working for inexpensively for her. She wants to make her own quilt.
    Looks like:
    JC27 JA13 111 (or H1 instead of 111?)

Thats a cool little lizard!! And he is beautiful!!!!
    Thank You, he is one of my children, just like most people's dog or cat :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Has anyone seen this machine???
    My son got this from someone and knows nothing about it.
    I can't find any info on the net.
    He lives in Japan.
    It is a Japanese 15 and I have seen only a few with that type of stitch regulator knobs on them. It is a badged machine so it could have been made by numerous manufacturers over there but its nice to know someone else in that area! What part of Japan is he in?

Billy
    Billy, I knew you'd know!!!!!!!! I told my son about you :D
    He's in Kanagawa. He teaches at an International school and he wants a sewing machine for his fiancee. That one is missing some things. They both like to sew and he used to make some wacky clothes in high school on my machine!
    They are making their own wedding bands out of white gold. How cool is that??????? :thumbup:
    He loves loves loves Japan and I can't seem to convince him to move back :mrgreen:

I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?

Blog Entries

Nancy
    I love his name, and I like this photo of him holding onto the scissors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
    I have a 15-90 that I took the external motor off and put the machine in a treadle to use for FM. I once owned two 15-91, internal pot belly motor; sold one and gave the other to my daughter. I have obtained a couple of free machines where the wheels wouldn't turn and after cleaning and oiling they turned smoothly (such a wonderful feeling). I like using a treadle for quilting/sewing since I feel that I have better control of my movement of hands with the speed of treadling. Don't know about a Pfaff, but you will like the Singers. Plus parts are easy to find for the Singer 15s.

Banned
    Couldn't find any logo stamped, but I did find this, does this tell you anything? I would just love to see if I can get this working for inexpensively for her. She wants to make her own quilt.
    Looks like:
    JC27 JA13 111 (or H1 instead of 111?)
    These numbers coincide with the Koyu company and these badged machines........Seammaster, Dressmaker, Aldens. The JC number is the first one in that entry so I have no comparisons. But this will help with my research and I thank you for the numbers!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

I did get a nice surprise in the sewing cabinet I bought for $6.00, it has a vintage pfaff in it...probably a 70's model,,I have not even cleaned completely in the 5 years is has been sitting in that cabinet in my sewing room...reason is my Elna sits on top! I do have the book and attachments for it though..still in the drawers like when I bought it
    Jaciqltznok, what vintage Pfaff is in the cabinet? If it is a 1970's, it could be a 1222, which sells for quite a bit on e-bay. If fact, there was a lady advertising on our Craigslist who was asking for one! She wanted to find a Pfaff 1222 for $100 if possible. She didn't want to have to pay more off of E-Bay and pay shipping as they are heavy! I have a 1222e that I bought brand new in 1976 - it was a top of the line machine then -- we had to make payments on it! I still use that Pfaff almost daily, did three complete weddings including the mother-in-laws dress, bridesmaids, and flower girl with that Pfaff. That is a great machine. I use it now for putting on bindings mostly because of the walking foot. It is and has always been my favorite machine. I now use my Mother's Pfaff 130 for most of my piecing -- she used her Pfaff everyday from 1952 until she died in 2007.

Oh and I do use my treadles too! I use my Singer 15-88 treadle for all of my FMQting and thread play.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
    The book: "The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines" by Carter Bays .... do you collectors consider this a book worth having?

And, if so, is the latest (2006) edition necessarily the best edition?
    It's a great book, but concentrates on the older, more rare machines. The latest edition, obviously, contains more information on more machines.

The two books (both out of print) that I find most useful are MR. NEEDLEBAR'S NEEDLE BOOK, privately published by The NeedleBar and mostly written by Chrys Gunther. There are a few errors in the book, which they say is keeping them from publishing it again. I wish they would go ahead--it is a fabulous resource, and almost anything of this nature would have an error here and there--no one is perfect!!

The other book is THE ARCHIVE OF ANTIQUE SEWING MACHINES by Charles Basebase Law. I read on another list that they saw a copy go on Ebay for $400 (!), but also read that Charles Law occasionally puts a few up on Ebay for a reasonable price.

If you run across either of these two books, grab them; you won't be sorry. I believe Katie ?? (I can't remember her last name, but Sharon might!) is writing a book on White sewing machines, but not sure if anyone else is planning a book or not.

Blog Entries

I thought he was a 'live' bearded dragon, but I have never seen one that color? My granddaughter's have two bearded dragons, but they are a light brown. They are quite the pets as these girls have had their dragons for quite a few years now.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I have a question, Miz Johnny, you probably know the answer! What size shuttle does my Davis Vertical Feed machine take. My machine in from 1890 and it is not the New High Arm Vertical Feed you see all the time. I know it takes a #10 needle, but what number shuttle?

I think someone put a shuttle in and it is not the right one for this machine.

Does anyone have a resource for shuttle sizes for these old machines?

Nancy

The 15-88 is a treadle, 15-89 a handcrank, 15-90 electric with separate motor and 15-91 electric with potted motor. They are all the same machine; they just have different methods of power. The 15- or 15K is basically the same machine without reverse. The 115 is a rotary shuttle machine. There are many small variations, but any class 15 machine is worth having. If I could have only one, it would probably be a class 15 machine.

Blog Entries
    I have a question, Miz Johnny, you probably know the answer! What size shuttle does my Davis Vertical Feed machine take. My machine in from 1890 and it is not the New High Arm Vertical Feed you see all the time. I know it takes a #10 needle, but what number shuttle?

Love that avatar Nancy !!
    Nancy

Nancy
    Can you point me toward a picture of the machine? Also, examine your shuttle carefully; make sure the tip isn't blunted and there's no burrs on it. Also, most Davis shuttles I've seen has the name printed on it. Does it just not fit right in the carrier?

Needlebar has an excellent Singer model 15 comparison chart. http://www.needlebar.org/main~nb/15chart/index.html