Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 801 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 301 701 751 791 800 801 802 811 851 901 1301 ... LastLast
Results 20,001 to 20,025 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #20001
    Senior Member jtapp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    9
    I agree with you on so many levels Miz Johnny! Sometimes showing respect to your elders can really disrespect YOU in the process. Why keep something that you do not particularly want or even know how to use.

    I do think it is reasonable to find someone to love and cherish those "things" that we do not want, but it doesnt have to be me :)

  2. #20002
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    I'm way behind, so if this has been answered, I apologize. This is a National Mode VB-TT (3), manufactured after the National company was formed from the old Eldredge and June companies. The company was formed in the early 1890's, so your machine was produced after that.

    It's probably also been said already (but I'll say it again, just in case), it was made for the Marshall Field and Company store.

    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    Okay here are the pictures. I have narrowed it down to either a National of Eldridge. But I cannot figure out the model.

    Can anyone help me with finding the model. I am thinking a Vindex or some sort of vibrating shuttle based on photos of Damascus Annes site.

    Pretty clean with some rust on the chrome pieces and underside. The clear coat is very crazed but the decals are good except for the front edge.

    The parlor cabinet is still in the back of the 4runner waiting for someone to help me get it out. It will need the top reveneered. But otherwise the treadle moves very easily.

    I also got a TON of accessories. For all types of machines and baskets of buttons and thread and accessories.

  3. #20003
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I wanna see pics of the accesories that you got too!! ;) (What can I say? I'm an "Attachment Ho"! :lol: )
    LOL, LOL, LOL, ad infinitum. . . .

  4. #20004
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    I have one of the little Vesta machines. Cute as it can be, but I don't believe I've ever sewn on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM
    Just thought I'd attach a few photos from a booth at our local quilt show this weekend. The business name is Feathers and Cranks. Her machines are all very nice and fully refurbished and have a 30 day warranty. Her prices reflect all the work that has gone into them but they are gorgeous. I really wanted the Vesta hand crank but my checkbook didn't have enough money in it.

  5. #20005
    Senior Member Phyllis nm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    603
    Blog Entries
    21
    I found this today, I have never seen one before have you?

    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2502367058.html

  6. #20006
    Senior Member jtapp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    9
    BTW, does anyone have a free download for a 503a manual? I may have been given this already but I don't remember.

    Thanks!

  7. #20007
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    The "happiest" thing I did--for me, at least--was call a granddaughter that I know quilts and ask her if she wanted my mother's favorite machine. It happened to be a 15-91 in a Queen Anne cabinet and stool that my mother had totally refinished. I had seen this niece twice in her life (she's in her 40's) as her parents divorced when she was a baby, but I just felt like she was the one for this machine. I have Mom's original 15-91 she sewed on when I was a teenager, and it will be the last machine I part with, but it certainly isn't as pretty!! Very beat up, but I love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I agree with you on so many levels Miz Johnny! Sometimes showing respect to your elders can really disrespect YOU in the process. Why keep something that you do not particularly want or even know how to use.

    I do think it is reasonable to find someone to love and cherish those "things" that we do not want, but it doesnt have to be me :)

  8. #20008
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    It's wonderful, and someone should grab that Bernina!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
    I found this today, I have never seen one before have you?

    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2502367058.html

  9. #20009
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf

    I will go away now and stop clogging up the list. . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    BTW, does anyone have a free download for a 503a manual? I may have been given this already but I don't remember.

    Thanks!

  10. #20010
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

    Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

    I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

    My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
    The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?

  11. #20011
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    If he's selling them, you won't stop him. He's making great art.
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/clt/2501094985.html
    This turkey needs to be stopped. Maybe we can ALL answer his ad. I know I will when my blood pressure goes back down to sort of normal.
    you got it

  12. #20012
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

    Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

    I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

    My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
    The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?

  13. #20013
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

    Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

    I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

    My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
    The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?
    I'm thinking you might be right. I'm thinking he top end is different. But I do know for sure the Touch and Sew is different. I should go open a couple up and look.

    Ok I looked - they are NOT the same. The 401 is wider than the 500 at the top.

  14. #20014
    Senior Member jtapp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

    Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

    I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

    My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
    The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?
    I'm thinking you might be right. I'm thinking he top end is different. But I do know for sure the Touch and Sew is different. I should go open a couple up and look.

    Ok I looked - they are NOT the same. The 401 is wider than the 500 at the top.

    Forgive me if I sound stupid but what do you mean wider at the top? Where at the top? I know the original motor for the 503 should have that extra metal piece above the bushing(?). I know that is the bobbin winder part. The replacement motor that is in mine right now does NOT have that part, that is why the bobbin winder is missing.

    No I can't get the original motor from the last owner :(. To her it was no issue. She preferred the straight stich only machines and owns an alterations shop with SEVERAL and didn't "need' that bobbin winder so told her repair man that motor was fine. I am one of the weird ones that does NOT like a machine to be missing parts....thats just me. I went ahead and bought it from her because it was cheap and it does sew great! :). I can't help myself but I'll probably never be able to bond with it if I don't replace the motor/bobbin winder and top lid....

  15. #20015
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
    I found this today, I have never seen one before have you?

    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2502367058.html
    Actually, yes!! Someone gave me one very similar recently to give to my grandaughter who is taking fashion design in college. The doors were different, but the inside was nearly identical....and it certainly is NOT an antique!! LOL Some people's idea of what an antique is really is so so ..... well, I have no words!!! LOL LOL LOL

  16. #20016
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

    Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

    I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

    My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
    The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?
    I'm thinking you might be right. I'm thinking he top end is different. But I do know for sure the Touch and Sew is different. I should go open a couple up and look.

    Ok I looked - they are NOT the same. The 401 is wider than the 500 at the top.

    Forgive me if I sound stupid but what do you mean wider at the top? Where at the top? I know the original motor for the 503 should have that extra metal piece above the bushing(?). I know that is the bobbin winder part. The replacement motor that is in mine right now does NOT have that part, that is why the bobbin winder is missing.

    No I can't get the original motor from the last owner :(. To her it was no issue. She preferred the straight stich only machines and owns an alterations shop with SEVERAL and didn't "need' that bobbin winder so told her repair man that motor was fine. I am one of the weird ones that does NOT like a machine to be missing parts....thats just me. I went ahead and bought it from her because it was cheap and it does sew great! :). I can't help myself but I'll probably never be able to bond with it if I don't replace the motor/bobbin winder and top lid....
    The gear looking thing goes on top. It is built in. You either have a motor that fits or you do not have a motor that fits. I like mine to have all the right parts too. I think I would be very irritated with that woman. Glad it was cheap though. The gear no doubt turns just under the bobbin winder if it is the wrong motor. The 503's top gear thing is smaller around than the others.

  17. #20017
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Does anyone, by chance, recognize this machine? I tried enhancing the pics but got too blurry. Thanks!

    http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2500446767.html
    It looks like a White, probably made in Japan(1960s). My grandma had one similar to that one.

  18. #20018
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    Okay, I think I've found another one I want. (I seem to have the "I want its" pretty bad lately!) The red eye decals are growing on me! Even my BIL thought it was cool.

    http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/atq/2498113118.html

    Any red flags? I wrote and asked for the serial #, but seller gave what sounded like the number off the motor and said that was the only one she could find that looked like a serial #. I'm wondering if it would be rude to send a picture of where it's located.

    It looks nice to me, but I'm still new to this. I'd probably ditch the motor and put her back in a treadle.


    Also, does anyone know what model this would be? Looks like it has a place for cams, but again, I'm so new at this I have no idea! :) I just keep seeing stuff that interests me that I want to know more about!

    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2461788660.html
    Aw just go ahead and steal that redeye for that price I won't watch.

    The other machine is pretty cool but - he says no attachments and the only discs he has are the "built in ones" - he doesn't have all of it..... and he doesn't know it... Look around & price the discs - the attachments are low shank - you can buy new if necessary. Does the cord/motor/light work? How gummed up is it? I think I'd want to buy for $25 or so... it wold be fun to play with for a while.
    Yeah, if I can make it happen, that red eye will be mine. :) She will look nice in my newly redone treadle.

    The other I was just curious what model it was. I wouldn't pay $75 either! I've been to too many country auctions and estate sales to know better (and be a lot cheaper).
    It looks like a 306, takes special needles (206 x13), also make sure it has the bobbin case as they can be hard to find.

  19. #20019
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,134
    Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer
    Whew! I did it! I cleaned out the bobbin area. I could see old thread caught in it, so I took it apart, found more thread than I could see, and put it back together. One little baby step at a time.
    I'm so proud of you!! I haven't been brave enough to do that yet. :thumbup:

  20. #20020
    Senior Member nickylsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sonora, CA
    Posts
    827
    Hi, I bought this machine about 20 years ago when I was living in France. I looked up the serial number and it appears to be from July 1925, model "15K".

    I may have had the motor, but don't really remember. All I used it for before was as a table for my more modern machine.

    I would like to fix it up and get it running. My husband will help with the refinishing of the cabinet. It seems to me that the most obvious place to start would be a belt. Do you know what I should buy? I have seen them on E-Bay, but with different diameters and lengths. Also, does this model have a name?

    Thanks so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images






  21. #20021
    Senior Member jtapp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam

    The gear looking thing goes on top. It is built in. You either have a motor that fits or you do not have a motor that fits. I like mine to have all the right parts too. I think I would be very irritated with that woman. Glad it was cheap though. The gear no doubt turns just under the bobbin winder if it is the wrong motor. The 503's top gear thing is smaller around than the others.
    There is no bobbing winder attached...lol. I'm not mad at her. It was what it was when I bought it :). She is a very nice lady actually and her machines were worth a lot to her and her business. This area that I live in machines go for a pretty fair penny anyway. She lives in a somewhat rural area and owns an alterations shop for years. She started digging out and cleaning up her shops storage in anticipation of sellnig and moving closer to her daughter. Apparently awhile ago this machine was in the "shop" and she knows her OSMG very well and when he repaired something on it (maybe the old motor was broke) he did not have a motor with the extra gear at top for the bobbin winder. She has several 400 and 500 singers and told him not to worry about it because she didn't need the bobbin winder anyway! Of course now she is trying to sell them so it is a problem for buyers.

    I look at it like she really LOVED her machines to pieces! hahaha

  22. #20022
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,134
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf
    Hi, I bought this machine when I was living in France. I looked up the serial number and it is from July 1925. I may have had the motor, but don't really remember. All I used it for before was as a table for my more modern machine. I would like to fix it up and get it running. The most obvious start to me would be a belt. Do you know what I should buy? I have sen them on E-Bay, but with different diameters and lengths. Also, does this model have a name?

    Thanks so much!
    I think its a model 15-30. I don't know how to answer the rest of your questions. You need to take the plate off thats under the needle, its to use with a buttonhole attachment.

    Nice machines, I have a more modern 15-90 that had a motorectomy done and it treadles very nicely.
    Sharon W.

  23. #20023
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf
    Hi, I bought this machine about 20 years ago when I was living in France. I looked up the serial number and it appears to be from July 1925.

    I may have had the motor, but don't really remember. All I used it for before was as a table for my more modern machine.

    I would like to fix it up and get it running. My husband will help with the refinishing of the cabinet. It seems to me that the most obvious place to start would be a belt. Do you know what I should buy? I have seen them on E-Bay, but with different diameters and lengths. Also, does this model have a name?

    Thanks so much!
    Go to Treadleon.net to get information about putting new belts on, and which one to buy.
    Your decals are Sphinx, and look really good!!
    Here's where to look up your machine by the serial number:
    http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

    Billy (resident expert) has 2 tutorials on here about cleaning them. Follow them...be careful when you use to clean the machine so you don't damage the decals.

    You have a gem!! :-)

  24. #20024
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam

    The gear looking thing goes on top. It is built in. You either have a motor that fits or you do not have a motor that fits. I like mine to have all the right parts too. I think I would be very irritated with that woman. Glad it was cheap though. The gear no doubt turns just under the bobbin winder if it is the wrong motor. The 503's top gear thing is smaller around than the others.
    There is no bobbing winder attached...lol. I'm not mad at her. It was what it was when I bought it :). She is a very nice lady actually and her machines were worth a lot to her and her business. This area that I live in machines go for a pretty fair penny anyway. She lives in a somewhat rural area and owns an alterations shop for years. She started digging out and cleaning up her shops storage in anticipation of sellnig and moving closer to her daughter. Apparently awhile ago this machine was in the "shop" and she knows her OSMG very well and when he repaired something on it (maybe the old motor was broke) he did not have a motor with the extra gear at top for the bobbin winder. She has several 400 and 500 singers and told him not to worry about it because she didn't need the bobbin winder anyway! Of course now she is trying to sell them so it is a problem for buyers.

    I look at it like she really LOVED her machines to pieces! hahaha
    ew you need that too then. I have a donor 500 machine and I think the bobbin winder is still there but missing a spring. She has a 401 motor in her right now - I don't know why though.

  25. #20025
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf
    Hi, I bought this machine about 20 years ago when I was living in France. I looked up the serial number and it appears to be from July 1925, model "15K".

    I may have had the motor, but don't really remember. All I used it for before was as a table for my more modern machine.

    I would like to fix it up and get it running. My husband will help with the refinishing of the cabinet. It seems to me that the most obvious place to start would be a belt. Do you know what I should buy? I have seen them on E-Bay, but with different diameters and lengths. Also, does this model have a name?

    Thanks so much!
    This belt should work fine:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/72-LEATHER-BELT-...item45f6400ba0

    Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.