Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM

I was an L&D nurse at Wesley in 1996-1998 before I moved back to Chicago. Was a new WSU grad. They had quilted isolette covers too, one of the pioneers with that. Too much light and noise are stressful for babies that are still supposed to be inside. That's was great unit, very advanced at the time and well-run. Where I work now, the nurses won't even put the lights lower or be quiet at night. They're afraid of a baby going blue unnoticed, since they aren't all on monitors as in a real NICU. So nice to hear of you helping them!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diamondrose
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well if the good Lords a willing I will own another MOP Singer 12 but this one is a hand crank. Almost all of the decals are still there so it makes for a desirable machine. I have to wait until the snow bows over before I can get it but I think it will be worth the wait!!

I will definitely post photos of it when I have it in my paws.

Billy
I saw a machine (treadle) that has a fiddle base head and just guessing from the pictures I have seen it might be either a Singer 12 or 13 but I was told that it doesn't work. The base was so much heavier than any treadle base I have seen. The head is very small compared to the wheel. From a distance the cabinet looked decent but was told that it was loose. Just curious as to whether a machine like that would be of interest to anyone if it wouldn't work.
I would love to have more of them to be honest with you the Singer 12's are my favorite machine

Billy
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Never did put my Singer up... Here she is.. 1897 hmm Gertie? LOL still need to find her a name..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156753.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by grammydar
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, I couldn't turn down a free machine. I plan to toss the motor on this one too. I now have a box of motors.
After you toss the motor, do you put it in a treadle cabinet?
I threw one out a few years ago, I thought it was a lost cause.
I will NEVER do that again.
Yes, I put the machine in a treadle or on my bookshelf in the sewing room (until I decide to use it in a treadle, rotation). I have kept all of the motors, I do not throw them away. I believe in recycling, and one day plan to sell the motors, or clean the motor up and sell with a cleaned up machine. I just don't like machines with motors at this moment in time (one day that may change) for sewing.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
I just purchased a 1914 Davis Treadle..NVF..and paid $65. The cabinet is in excellent shape for it's age, dirty, dark but the veneer has just a little chip in the lid. Came with authentic certificate, and instruction book and all kinds of attachements! I'm so happy and can't wait for a son in law to help DH get it off the truck and into the house to warm up and play with!! The man I bought it from picked it up at an estate auction and he has no doubt it works, but has not tried it. He said his wife isn't into treadles for the machine, but just the cabinets which he makes into tables for her. So, since this one looks so good, he decided to offer it for sale. I think I got a bargain. We'll see more when it's warm and sewing!!
Congrat! I'm happy that you picked up this machine. And happy to read that the man kept it in the treadle. You got a bargain! So don't worry. And even if you read here on this board tomorrow (or next week) that someone picked one up for free or for $10, you still got a bargain. As I have stated, FW are all over the place (CL, ebay, vintage stores, GW, grandma's attic), but I don't see hundreds of of Davis NVFs -even if they can be found. Please post pictures! I'm very intrigued with these machines. And I'm sure you will be able to get it to work, just like Nancy did hers. Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Okay...her she is...and you should see the attachements that came with her! I'll try and get a better pic before the evening is over and the attachements. All of the attachments are a little rusty....and the machine itself is really dirty! Needs to be cleaned oiled and a new belt. Should be a great machine! I'd certainly be willing to make copies of the book. Do you all have attachments also?? I'm missing the quilter guide. I'd really like that and the "self sewer" that is attached to the gauge (different from the quilter guage).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156787.jpe   attachment-156788.jpe   attachment-156789.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Okay...her she is...and you should see the attachements that came with her! I'll try and get a better pic before the evening is over and the attachements. All of the attachments are a little rusty....and the machine itself is really dirty! Needs to be cleaned oiled and a new belt. Should be a great machine! I'd certainly be willing to make copies of the book. Do you all have attachments also?? I'm missing the quilter guide. I'd really like that and the "self sewer" that is attached to the gauge (different from the quilter guage).

:oops: Sorry....hit the button twice! Is there a way to delete when this happens??
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Your machine is gorgeous! And the cabinet is gorgeous too! You did very well with this find. Your machine looks clean (or cleaner than what I had thought). I would just wipe her down and polish her. But do be careful with the polish, and if you do use Billy's method of the Go Jo (or whatever it is called) please be careful there too. I tested a site on my Two Spools machine thinking all was okay. I then started on the flat surface of the machine only to find the shellac turned on me (some type of chemical reaction) and all of the shellac in that area started to all come off. The decals then all turned silver. I didn't do the rest of the machine after that. I just wipe the rest clean and polished, those parts the shellac and decals are preserved. So, as Billy stated do a test, but still watch out. Thanks for posting photos!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Okay...her she is...and you should see the attachements that came with her! I'll try and get a better pic before the evening is over and the attachements. .

I'm full of envy! And I don't know which is more remarkable...that the machine/treadle survived in such excellent condition or that the manual and certificate not only endured, but remained with her all these years. A treasure.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]
Okay...her she is...and you should see the attachements that came with her!
Oh, And I love the handles and ornate woodwork scroll in the front drawer (if that is a front drawer). Beautiful machine!