Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1299 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 299 799 1199 1249 1289 1298 1299 1300 1309 1349 1399 ... LastLast
Results 32,451 to 32,475 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Charlee, did you see his power sewing machine with bicycle generator? He's entertaining!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjZx...feature=relmfu
    ~laffin~ Getting someone to ride that bike for the whole time that I want to sew could be an issue!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I wonder if I could get Pat to pedal the bike while I sew. We all know how for this will get me. I have been keeping up with the threads but been planting garden and yard work for the last two weeks. We have had weather in the 80's so everything is growing and growing very early this year. So much to do and so little time. I have not had time to sew or play with my machines. Did pick up a 27 Sphinx with very good decals with very little silvering. I need to post my machines in the photo section someday. I have a 1968 New Home (electric with cams I bought when son was born) Made his clothes with it. The manual also said to remove the foot and it FM very well but only did it once. I prefer my treadles.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

He's sewing on heavy canvas, maybe artist canvas. Really heavy, stiff stuff might work better footless. I'll have to try it and see. If you watch, the fabric is stiff enough that it doesn't pull up much when the needle pulls back. Something to try! Laura
    Finally found the video! The guy doesn't use any foot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=WkZfXWSFWFk#!

Blog Entries
    I wonder what size needle and thread he is using? I punched a lot of canvas with my tent business - I used a huge needle but I was going through lots of layers. It might take some power to go through stiff canvas.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Very cool video. People are so talented. The tension seemed a bit whacky but only added to the cuteness of it. You could also add some stiff stabilizer to the back of it to make it not as flexible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    He's sewing on heavy canvas, maybe artist canvas. Really heavy, stiff stuff might work better footless. I'll have to try it and see. If you watch, the fabric is stiff enough that it doesn't pull up much when the needle pulls back. Something to try! Laura
    Laura, I noticed that too. I gave it a try on my sandwich quilting, but had no luck. I agree that a heavy canvas would work much better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Very cool video. People are so talented. The tension seemed a bit whacky but only added to the cuteness of it. You could also add some stiff stabilizer to the back of it to make it not as flexible.
    I liked the look of the thread build up, added texture and dimension. This person is very talented to be able to doodle with thread and a sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I wonder if I could get Pat to pedal the bike while I sew. We all know how for this will get me. I have been keeping up with the threads but been planting garden and yard work for the last two weeks. We have had weather in the 80's so everything is growing and growing very early this year. So much to do and so little time. I have not had time to sew or play with my machines. Did pick up a 27 Sphinx with very good decals with very little silvering. I need to post my machines in the photo section someday. I have a 1968 New Home (electric with cams I bought when son was born) Made his clothes with it. The manual also said to remove the foot and it FM very well but only did it once. I prefer my treadles.
    Also post photos of your garden!!! Turned to winter again here in the SF Bay Area. Hopefully it doesn't head east and kill off all those young plants. Spring is just around the corner!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
    Been reading everything everybody posts, enjoy it all. I've been busy make more miniature quilts because I've run out of room for big ones and I've made and given all my grandkids bed sized quilts. I am going to make all my greats (4 so far) bed sized ones soon. I've made them all crib sized ones. I'm into piecing by hand so I have something to do while TV is on (fall asleep otherwise).
    I do have a long arm quilting machine and I love to use the Essential Pro thread from Connecting Threads (no affiliation) it's 70 weigh 3 ply and comes in many colors. My vintage machines love it also, my computerized Brother likes it on top but not in the bobbin. Just thought I'd toss that info in about the thread in case anybody wants to try a really thin, strong thread. Another good thing is the price is very affordable.
    Hi, Weedwoman, thanks for recommendation of the 70wt thread. I have a Brother machine and find that none of the thread brands I've bought work that well in my Brother!! It always seems too thick, no matter the size of needle. I'm going to give this brand a try. I'm ok with the bobbin thread (Brother brand) and my machine works well with it. I use 50 wt and 90 wt for the bobbin.

None of the shops in my area carries the thread so on-line I will go!! Thanks!!

Name:  IMG_0760.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  959.5 KBThis is my favorite machine. LOL. It is in wonderful condition in spite of it's age. Light, and easy to carry, sews perfect straight lines. and will look nice displayed in my soon to be studio which will have a vinage look to it. This machine once belonged to my 83 year old mother's aunt. She bought it when she was in her 20's. I'm guessing it is about 90 years old.
    Last edited by Denise_the_Quilt_Lady; 03-19-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Blog Entries
    Hi Denise! Welcome to the Vintage thread!

I might be mistaken, but thought that the white FW machines were made in the 60's...the oldest FWs were made in 1933, making them 79 years old. What is the serial number of your machine?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Denise,

The "white" Featherweight machines were only made from about 1964 to 1968. Sorry to say they are all under 50 years old. They are cute as a bug and will look great displayed in your vintage studio. Congratulations.
    I bought mine new in May 1969 for $88.00 plus about $4.00 in taxes. I made payments of $5.00 a month. I still have the original sales receipt.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Denise_the_Quilt_Lady View Post
    This is my favorite machine. LOL. It is in wonderful condition in spite of it's age. Light, and easy to carry, sews perfect straight lines. and will look nice displayed in my soon to be studio which will have a vinage look to it. This machine once belonged to my 83 year old mother's aunt. She bought it when she was in her 20's. I'm guessing it is about 90 years old.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Thank you Charlee!!! I say it's a foot. I also once saw a young guy on youtube draw designs with thread on fabric without any foot or spring- very impressive.
    Yes, Monica, I have seen that too; but it is just so dangerous! Candace has already sewn her finger twice! That spring thing looks like a fun thing to play with just for the heck of it; but to me - it just looks too dangerous - an accident waiting to happen just like sewing without a foot!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Nancy- I only teach informally. I am mostly self taught, but did take a class from Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran. I figure that a machine is made to do work, and as long as I am not asking it to work above it's capacity in power, I should be able to get it to do what I want it to. I learned just about everything on my 201, if I had had a 15 first, I might be singing it's praises. I find that every machine I work on or use gets compared to the 201. it is my favorite in a herd of 20 or so. The phrase that helps me the most when FMQ is this: "hot foot, slow hands", meaning I run the machine quite fast and move my hands more slowly. Laura
    Yep, that is what Jenny Lyons teaches too in her classes! When you use a little speed, you get better control unless you are doing a very involved pattern. My problem with FM is that I forget to stop sewing to move my hands; which sometimes messes up the motif. FM is very liberating, though, and a lot of fun!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Nancy,

That one came through just fine. Thanks. Looks like you have a lot of cleaning to do on that one.

Joe
    Yep, I can't wait to get out and clean up the Minnesota and the 31's!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise_the_Quilt_Lady View Post
    Name:  IMG_0760.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  959.5 KBThis is my favorite machine. LOL. It is in wonderful condition in spite of it's age. Light, and easy to carry, sews perfect straight lines. and will look nice displayed in my soon to be studio which will have a vinage look to it. This machine once belonged to my 83 year old mother's aunt. She bought it when she was in her 20's. I'm guessing it is about 90 years old.
    Denise, that is a very nice looking white featherweight, but Charlee and Cathy are right. The black FW was introduced at the World's Fair in Chicago in 1933. The white/light green looking FW's didn't come out until the 1960's. We could tell you exactly what year your machine was 'born' if you gave us the serial number which is located under the machine!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Finally found the video! The guy doesn't use any foot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=WkZfXWSFWFk#!
    That is amazing, but did you see how close he came to his fingers! I guess that was suppose to be him dreaming about all the things he wants to do/see? The speed and his fingers scare me! Nope, not for me - I like my fingers too much and I don't like pain! I will stick with horses. They are dangerous enough - I don't need to sew my fingers!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    This looks like a fun little machine to own. Cathy, how old do you think this machine is for real? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2909291637.html

Nancy

Aha, I found you all. I think the video has been speeded up, and the machine isn't running at top speed all the time, but it is still amazing!

pat

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Yes, Monica, I have seen that too; but it is just so dangerous! Candace has already sewn her finger twice! That spring thing looks like a fun thing to play with just for the heck of it; but to me - it just looks too dangerous - an accident waiting to happen just like sewing without a foot!

Nancy
    My two accidents happened with feet on. So, imagine how dangerous I'll be without a foot? I wonder how many tetnus shots I'll need using the new spring needle? I hope not many. It huuuuuurts. Once through the pad and once through the nail. Ouchie. Of course that doesn't count the many blood lettings I've gotten from getting slightly pierced. Hey, maybe finger piercings will be the new "in" thing and I can be ahead of the crowd.

Blog Entries
    How long do you suppose it will be before OSHA is requiring that machines have finger guards?

My accident happened when I was a child of about 7 or 8 and sewing doll clothes. The needle went clear through my left middle finger at the knuckle. I couldn't get it off the needle and had to have my mother push my finger down off the needle. I only did it once.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    I'm looking for a source for them. I don't think they are still made. I usually find them in cabinet drawers, parts boxes, etc. There is currently being made a Schmetz Universal Spring Needle. The spring comes on the needle. I do think that the needle can be changed out. I have not had any feed back about them. I can order them from my wholesaler
    and you should be able to find the "needle spring" at quilt stores.
    Attachment 320818
    I found this needle spring and the Darning Spring from a source on eBay last week. I ordered 2 of the darning springs, as they were really cheap. They don't look exactly like the one you had pictured before, Cathy, but attach and work the same. When they arrive I'll put up some pics, or you can search for Darning Spring on eBay and it comes right up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Aha, I found you all. I think the video has been speeded up, and the machine isn't running at top speed all the time, but it is still amazing!

pat
    I am really glad you found us! You really think the video was sped up? I am not sure, it looked to me like he was just going full throttle like Candace does. He is a very talented guy. I wonder how many finger piercings he has gotten?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    I found this needle spring and the Darning Spring from a source on eBay last week. I ordered 2 of the darning springs, as they were really cheap. They don't look exactly like the one you had pictured before, Cathy, but attach and work the same. When they arrive I'll put up some pics, or you can search for Darning Spring on eBay and it comes right up.
    Ok Janice, you and Candace can try those springs! Let us know when you get pierced or how safe you feel using those springs. I am just not sure I want to go there! I really like to FM, but I just don't know about the spring thingys? There are lots of people who think I am crazy for training horses and maybe they are right because I have had almost every bone in my body broken/fractured at one time or other - but, those springs just look dangerous! If you sew your finger, how hard is it going to be to get your finger out with that spring on? My daughter sewed all the way through her finger when she was 9. She has not touched a sewing machine since. I have been 'lucky' and not sewed a finger, although, I did a number on my finger with a rotary cutter once! I want to keep it that way!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-20-2012 at 08:19 AM.