Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1199 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 199 699 1099 1149 1189 1198 1199 1200 1209 1249 1299 1699 ... LastLast
Results 29,951 to 29,975 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Here is my newest machine that I picked up for $10!Attachment 304151
    It looks great! It's hard to pass up the 3/4 machines, they're just so cute.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Ok all of you in the know, is there a chain stitch attachment for Singer's models 127, VS2, 28, 15, or 66? What about the Free, or Two Spools, or Davis, or Wheeler & Wilson, or Hales Crescent treadles? I would love to get a chain stitch attachment without having to buy another treadle, although, I would buy another one if it had that attachment with it!

Nancy
    Hi,
    Never heard of any attachments for these guys. I'm fond of Willcox and Gibbs and Singer 24's for chain stitchers.
    Jon

Ok all of you in the know, is there a chain stitch attachment for Singer's models 127, VS2, 28, 15, or 66? What about the Free, or Two Spools, or Davis, or Wheeler & Wilson, or Hales Crescent treadles? I would love to get a chain stitch attachment without having to buy another treadle, although, I would buy another one if it had that attachment with it!

Nancy

Nancy,
    I've never heard of chain stitch attachments for any of those machines.
    I'll research it for you when I get back to my computer tonight.
    I'm on my phone now and searchs on itare a PIA.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It looks great! It's hard to pass up the 3/4 machines, they're just so cute.
    I know! I have 3 - a 99, a 185, and a 192 (Spartan). Love them all-they are just too fun!

Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    The blackout is just for today (Jan. 18), I believe. *I just noticed that you can click on a link at the bottom of the blackout page to take you to your local CL, so it's not totally down.*
    I love the CLs page today!!!!

Blog Entries

Help!!!

I am/was so stoked. My hopping foot for my 301 came and the new cord. I rewired the foot pedal and put on the new foot. It sews like a dream!! Sloop, I made up a practice sandwich and practiced for a while til I was comfortable with my work. Again, the stitches are beautiful! So I start free motion on my project. Still beautiful stitches. Did about a 12 inch square, then, all of a sudden it started skipping stitches. At first it would sew8-10 st inches then skip for an inch, then after a couple of these cycles it started skipping more than it stitched. I've checked the upper thread and bobbin, all seems good. Anyone experience this? Any ideas how to remedy? TIA
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Hello Nancy,

I just posted it in the picture area. I am still trying to learn my way around this board. Cant seem to upload pics from my phone app to the board.

Hollyann

1904 Standard Sewing Machine Company, Hygenic Central Needle

If anyone has any info on this machine it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Hollyann

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post

Thank you in advance,
    Hollyann
    Hi Hollyann,

I have a Standard Rotary machine that looks like yours. These are sweet machines to sew with. Mine came with the chain stitch attachments. One is the spider which is used to make the chains, and it looks like this.
    Name:  Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 5.19.06 PM.png
Views: 418
Size:  574.0 KB

And the other is the hemmer for the chain stitch, which looks like this.
    Name:  Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 5.18.54 PM.png
Views: 325
Size:  809.0 KB

On my blog, I have posted more information on these attachments. Here is the link to the page, just scroll down to the posts titled "The Deadly Hemmer" and "I Have a Spider": http://color-my-world-with-warmth.bl...max-results=50

I don't have a manual for this machine; so, I can't help you there if you are looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    I am/was so stoked. My hopping foot for my 301 came and the new cord. I rewired the foot pedal and put on the new foot. It sews like a dream!! Sloop, I made up a practice sandwich and practiced for a while til I was comfortable with my work. Again, the stitches are beautiful! So I start free motion on my project. Still beautiful stitches. Did about a 12 inch square, then, all of a sudden it started skipping stitches. At first it would sew8-10 st inches then skip for an inch, then after a couple of these cycles it started skipping more than it stitched. I've checked the upper thread and bobbin, all seems good. Anyone experience this? Any ideas how to remedy? TIA

I've found the best way to FMQ with my 301's is to step on the gas full steam and move the fabric slower. You'll get smaller stitches but it won't skip as much. If it continues to skip there may be an adjustment needed in the hook to needle clearance or timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post

Thank you in advance,
    Hollyann
    http://books.google.com/books?id=6vF...needle&f=false

Guess it's good for posture.
    Jon

Very neat chain stitch attachment. Guess it could only be done with a Rotary (?)

Blog Entries
    Name:  W&G closed coffin top redone.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  1.84 MBName:  original Wilcox&Gibbs cabinet.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  1.31 MBName:  W&G redone open.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  1.58 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy, I've never heard of chain stitch attachments for any of those machines.I'll research it for you when I get back to my computer tonight. I'm on my phone now and searchs on itare a PIA.Cathy
    Cathy if anyone can find out if there was a chain stitch attachment for any of the models I own, it would be you! I do have a couple Wilcox and Gibbs, and yes they make a beautiful chain stitch, but it would be fun if I could do that with one of my treadles - the ones I actually use! I don't use the Wilcox and Gibbs! The one my husband refurbished, from a broken down painted black treadle to a very nice original look is just so nice I don't want to mess it up. I do have an old electric Wilcox and Gibbs, with a hunking big motor that scares me, but it does have a beautiful stitch!Nancy

Oh here is the Wilcox and Gibbs my DH refurbished! I will try and post the original too!

Ok I have the before and after of the Wilcox and Gibbs! I know all you guys that have been on this shop have seen this before, but for the newer people I just love to show these pictures of a before and after treadle!
    Last edited by BoJangles; 01-18-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi M'friends! It's been a rough couple of days at our house...I found out Monday morning that my sister passed away... I'm better now and dealing with it tho.

Remember when I posted that on our way home from Idaho over New Year's that I found a sewing stool that I picked up for $5? It needed cleaned up and the seat needed new vinyl. That's what the spousal unit and I did today. We went to Hancock's and got the vinyl, when we got home he helped me to recover it. (He's SUCH a good man)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Charlee,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers are with you.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Thank you Cathy. The package you sent arrived yesterday...thank you!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Nancy, You said "Cathy if anyone can find out if there was a chain stitch attachment for any of the models I own, it would be you!"

Boy, is that a high pedestal that you have just put on me. I am a collector and a mechanic, but not a great historian or researcher.

I did just finished searching the needlebar site and the Historical Trade Literature in the Smithsonian Collection with no results.
    My personal knowledge of treadle and hand crank machines that convert by use of a "chain stitch spider" are some White Rotaries, some Domestic VS machines and some Standards (both Slims and Stouts). There are also some later (1970-80) Kenmores that convert and the infamous Singer Touch & Sew series. Maybe someone else can add to this info.

Cathy

Charlee, I'm also sorry about your loss. My prayers are with you also.
    Your chair turned out great! I'll bet you'll get a lot of use out of it.

BoJangles, what a transformation!!! What a beautiful cabinet that machine has. I don't blame you for just wanting to look at it!!!

Blog Entries
    Charlee, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Nancy,

That Wilcox & Gibbs is gorgeous!!!! Go sew on that puppy, you'll be hooked. The W&G is a blast to sew on.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Charlee, You and William did a great job with the stool! You are going to love this sewing stool. Just remember to get all dolled up before sitting down to sew on it!

Blog Entries
    Charlee, my deepest sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your sister. My heart goes out to you. I hope it was not a long suffering illness that took her from you. Our prayers go with you.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Randa

Blog Entries
    Charlee, had your sister been ill? Loss is so hard, but when a person is suffering I think we accept it much easier than when someone is taken without any warning. That happened with my Mother. She was fine, out running around, got her hair done, walked with the neighbors to the mailbox, called me, and later that day she was gone. We had to have an autopsy because she hadn't been sick, had nothing wrong with her, she just had what was described as a mild heart attack. Either way, I know how much it hurts. Take care of you now!

That stool is great! Does that stool have storage inside? You guys did a great job and I like the neutral color!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Name:  W&G 1894.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  1.56 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy,That Wilcox & Gibbs is gorgeous!!!! Go sew on that puppy, you'll be hooked. The W&G is a blast to sew on.Cathy
    I know, I think that the W&G's is the coolest thing ever to sew on, but between my DH and me it took us two months to get the black paint, then several layers of white, then a light green light primer off that cabinet! After I went through several cans of stripper, my DH took over! I love that cabinet and machine, but I don't want to use that one - it will be an heirloom for the kids from Dad since he worked so hard on that cabinet! I also have an electric W&G's I should use, but I don't want to ruin the motor!Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 01-19-2012 at 05:37 AM.